Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 09:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 10:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (02:19) correct 67% (01:07) wrong based on 2 sessions
866. Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them industrial by-products, threaten to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly than carbon dioxide during the next fifty years.

(A) to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly than carbon dioxide during the next fifty years
(B) to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly over the next fifty years than carbon dioxide will
(C) during the next fifty years to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly than carbon dioxide
(D) a warming of the Earth’s atmosphere during the next fifty years even more rapid than carbon dioxide’s
(E) a warming of the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapid than carbon dioxide’s will be over the next fifty years
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 371
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 11:04
Though I am not too convinced with B here but is the best choice out of the lot.

The sentence cud have been better stuctured though.

Saurabh Malpani
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3403
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 11:18
I dont like any choices...but B is by far the best amongst them....

B it is..
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 14:23
A)...i think that "during the next..." is better than "over the next..." when referring to a period of time.
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 217
Location: Boston
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 17:16
Yes B only because it is the least evil, all other refer to CO2 and not to what CO2 Does or will do
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1497
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: CO2 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 17:42
Initially choose A but after careful analysis/observation, go with B.

Comparision between the act of tiny particles of rare gases and the act of carbodioxide. I thik A caompares between the act of tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases and carbon dioxide, therefore is not correct, but seems correct. I think it is actually a trap.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 19:25
B. over the next fifty years is commonly used with predictions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 371
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: CO2 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 19:39
MA wrote:
Initially choose A but after careful analysis/observation, go with B.

Comparision between the act of tiny particles of rare gases and the act of carbodioxide. I thik A caompares between the act of tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases and carbon dioxide, therefore is not correct, but seems correct. I think it is actually a trap.


Abosolutely correct Wrong comparision between Fast and CO2
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 19:58
here is my problem with the ques.......It is the "tiny quantities of gases" that produce the global warming....it shud || to quantities or some adj of CO2 and not CO2 or any action by CO2......what u guys think ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 371
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 20:17
banerjeea_98 wrote:
here is my problem with the ques.......It is the "tiny quantities of gases" that produce the global warming....it shud || to quantities or some adj of CO2 and not CO2 or any action by CO2......what u guys think ?


I c .. and I think ur question is valid but my reasoning ... is that " Threaten A" I have never come such a structure in writing I might be wrong. but again it's just based on my opinion.

2nd reason: Rapid/Rapidly

I guess we should use Adverb rather than than an adjective because.............hmm .. I don't know ..again just goes by ear. but yeh I will look into the this rapid/rapidly.


Saurabh Malpani
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 371
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 20:20
I have always been confused with this rapid/rapidly, seeming/seemingly thing

If some one has an explanation kindly share. I am in desperate need of that!
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: CO2 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 20:29
banerjeea_98 wrote:
866. Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them industrial by-products, threaten to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly than carbon dioxide during the next fifty years.

(A) to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly than carbon dioxide during the next fifty years
(B) to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly over the next fifty years than carbon dioxide will
(C) during the next fifty years to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly than carbon dioxide
(D) a warming of the Earth’s atmosphere during the next fifty years even more rapid than carbon dioxide’s
(E) a warming of the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapid than carbon dioxide’s will be over the next fifty years


I think it compares 'Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases' with 'CO2'.
And 'next years' needs future tense.

Hence, I go with B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5095
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 22:37
Removing the modifier marked out by comma from the non-underlined part of the sentence, we get:

We can't say:

'threaten during the next 50 yrs..' - unidiomatic. (C) is out.

'threaten a warming of the ... ' - unidoimatic. (D) and (E) are out.

"Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases threaten..."

(A) to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly than carbon dioxide during the next fifty years

(B) to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly over the next fifty years than carbon dioxide will

Between A and B, B is correct. It says C02 pollutes the earth's atmosphere faster than tiny quantities of gases can. The 'will' here in (B) is the key. "Over the next fifty yrs" is also a more idiomatic form of saying over the next 50 yr period, then A's choice of 'during the next 50 yrs'

B for me.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 101
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 02:54
'B' should be the right choice because of the 'will'. OA please.

A kind request to all those posting the questions, please post the answers also.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 06:12
OA is "B"
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2769
Location: New York City
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 11:37
saurabhmalpani wrote:
I have always been confused with this rapid/rapidly, seeming/seemingly thing

If some one has an explanation kindly share. I am in desperate need of that!


Easy.

This is the preferred and usual syntax.

adv + adjective + noun
beautifully magnificent mountains
seemingly unhappy person

adverb modifies adjective. adjective modifies noun.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2004
Posts: 332
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 02:26
bmwhype2 wrote:
saurabhmalpani wrote:
I have always been confused with this rapid/rapidly, seeming/seemingly thing

If some one has an explanation kindly share. I am in desperate need of that!


Easy.

This is the preferred and usual syntax.

adv + adjective + noun
beautifully magnificent mountains
seemingly unhappy person

adverb modifies adjective. adjective modifies noun.


From OG 11:

Adjective modifies noun or pronoun
Adverb modifies verb or adjective or another adverb
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Completed GMAT on 22 Nov 2011
Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 167
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 12

Re: SC: CO2 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 23:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Step 1:
2/3 split between options (A,B) and (C,D,E)

Step 2:
In option (A), comparison is between "to warm the Earth’s atmosphere even more rapidly" and "carbon-dioxide". So, the comparison is wrong.

Option (B) provides the best comparison
Re: SC: CO2   [#permalink] 30 May 2011, 23:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them shikhar 5 22 Apr 2012, 06:07
Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them sunland 5 07 Jun 2010, 01:46
Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them vivektripathi 2 29 Dec 2008, 07:35
1 Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them Parbe 8 13 Sep 2007, 15:03
More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara Mc-Clintock, the b14kumar 5 16 May 2006, 08:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tiny quantities of more than thirty rare gases, most of them

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.