Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 05:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tips for MBA Applications?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Tips for MBA Applications? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 06:07
Hi everyone,

I've learned some tips for making a successful application to the Bradford University. First one is recognizing that the MBA is a starting point and not an endpoint. You have to meet the key criteria of having a good academic background, at least three years of work experience particularly in a managerial role. At interview stages be prepared to express what you have to bring to the cohort. These tips were given by Business Engagement Manager for careers, alumni and external relations at Bradford. I'm also interested in hearing other tips others might have.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Tips for MBA Applications? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 23:30
The first thing to consider is – why do Business Schools ask applicant to write essays? Well, most of these essays evaluate a candidate’s ability to introspect and communicate their point of view efficiently. It helps the admissions team to judge how the candidate views himself, his personal values and competencies. You should identify what characteristics each school seeks in its candidates and work on reflecting those qualities in your essays.

Self-awareness is an important trait which will help you frame your answers. Think about your hobbies, past jobs, rationale for taking up the job or particular educational stream, reasons which compel you to undertake an MBA and you goals for the future. Speaking to family and friends might also help you identify some qualities that you might have overlooked but are attractive to others. Through these essays, you should be interpreted as a dedicated, well rounded person with a good team spirit, and a vision. Supplement your explanation with examples of your past experience, both professional and personal. Identify situations in which you have displayed exemplary courage, leadership and personal initiative. Also make a list of your talents and recent achievement and remember to mention those in your answers.

Best of Luck!
www.InterviewBay.com

Last edited by InterviewBay2 on 04 May 2013, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: Tips for MBA Applications? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 06:18
Hi Charlie -

Those are good tips, and I applaud you for starting your dialogue by bringing something of value to the table! Good strategy!

My entire career has been in admissions, with 16 of those years as Director of MBA Admissions in a top 30 MBA program. I've worked with all kinds of candidates and helped individuals applying for Full-Time, Part-Time, Executive and Professional MBA programs.

Here are a few tips that I focus on while working with my clients.

- Remember, business schools actively seek to enroll great MBA students. It's not a game designed to keep people out, but rather an evaluative process to identify and recruit the best and brightest students for each school.

- Rather than assuming the "please, please, please pick me for your MBA program" position, view the process as a business process where your application is in effect, a marketing document. It should be well-done, comprehensive and clearly communicate your strengths and goals. Similarly, an interview is merely a business meeting where you are making the pitch for your product (that's you, by the way).

- Candidates should be sure that they are applying at the right point in their careers. Too early or too late can reduce the career impact of obtaining your MBA.

I love to talk MBA admissions. Feel free to DM me anytime with more questions!

-

Wendy

Wendy Flynn
15 Years as Director of MBA Admissions - Now Working For the Applicants as the MBA Admissions Coach
Wendy Flynn is the MBA Admissions Coach, providing comprehensive MBA admissions consulting services. As the former Director of MBA Admissions for 15 years at a top-30 MBA pgoram, Wendy holds deep expertise in admissions issues for Full-Time, Executive and Professional (Part-Time) MBA Programs. Through her blog, MBA Expert Insights, she brings the view of the Director of MBA admissions to MBA applicants and others.

WendyLFlynn89@gmail.com
Web: http://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com
MBA Expert Insights Blog: http://www.mbaadmissionscoach.com/blog/
Facebook: http://Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach
Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn
Member of the AIGAC, Association of International Graduate Admissions Counselors

Re: Tips for MBA Applications?   [#permalink] 02 May 2013, 06:18