Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 17:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

tips: how to get remainders

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
tips: how to get remainders [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 10:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
remainder is included in gmat syllabus , i have not seen in OG any question to find the remainder of the composite number when it is divided by some number.
here is one example and the way to find the remainder

1. what is remainder when 1421*1423*1425 is divided by 12
classical way to solve this is to multiply all the numbers and then do the division operation to get remainder.
however, we can get remainder following way:
divide each number with given number separately go get the reminder of each number then multiply, do the operation as many times till resultant number is no more divisible by given number... it's little bit abstract:

let's try with above example : to get the remainder of 1421*1423*1425 when divided by 12 can be given as:

\frac{1421*1423*1425 }{12} ----R---------> \frac{5*7*9}{12} = \frac{35*9}{12}
---------R---------> \frac{11*9 }{12}
--------R-------> gives us reminder of 3.

so the required remainder is 3. some more numbers..hope this will be useful tips thanks..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: tips: how to get remainders [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 13:01
I love the internet. It's the only place where we can be so diverse that one person's short-cut is more confusing to me than the original problem. ;)

Thanks for the post, I'll come back later and re-read it to see why I find that harder. :oops:

Reduce, reuse, recycle your old fax machine in favor of an internet fax service.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: tips: how to get remainders [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 20:46
joeleitz wrote:
I love the internet. It's the only place where we can be so diverse that one person's short-cut is more confusing to me than the original problem. ;)

Thanks for the post, I'll come back later and re-read it to see why I find that harder. :oops:

:) nice quote .. actually you are correct, it is quite possible that one person's short cut is difficult to comprehend to other.. but given amount of typing it's difficult to explain step by step how to reach the short cut i mentioned ..
try out it, and if you able to implement in your way i will be happy :) thanks
Re: tips: how to get remainders   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2010, 20:46