Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I actually meant 'tired' not 'tried'... hehe sorry.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
BCC145 wrote:
I actually meant 'tired' not 'tried'... hehe sorry.

I'm in the middle of my application pricess, and I feel smashed. Work is getting harder and harder, and now the anxiety of interviews.

I will need vacations after this ends, if this ends...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I still have a hard time believing that I'm done with R1. I'm sitting here after my Chicago trip thinking, "I need to work on my essays... wait, they're all submitted!".

I'm enjoying this break from applications. Just doing 1 or 2 for R2, and most of them I can reuse themes and sections of my other essays. But right now, I don't feel like writing one more word of any essay!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
so kryzak- what did you think of K and chic?are you apping to both of them?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
unfortunately, I got pretty sick Friday after I arrived, so Saturday was mostly shot. Sunday I did get to check out Evanston/Kellogg a little bit and did a tour of the Harper Center with a 2nd year student who was nice enough to meet up with me. Monday I wasn't feeling well enough to wake up for the 8am class, so just met rhyme for 20 minutes to chat before I had to run off to Kellogg for a 1:30pm class (took me 2 full hours to get up there, stupid "El" trains... grrr!) and then to O'Hare (another 2+ hours) back to California.

As for my impressions? Here are some general ones (I'll repost each section to the Kellogg and Chicago threads too).

Chicago:

Pros:
- AMAZING Harper Center. I mean, I know it's awesome, I've seen pictures, but you have to be IN it to believe it! Just this building alone is tempting me to apply, haha!

- It seems that the curriculum is awesome/flexible, the career center goes above and beyond for its students (if you do MC/IB/GM), and of course, the school's reputation is great!

- Polsky Entrepreneurship Center is well funded, there are excellent entrepreneurship faculty, good competitions (business plan/venture), and support for starting businesses. Still researching how well it translates to the West Coast startup scene.

Cons:
- There definitely is a slightly lower amount of "team" oriented projects/work than schools such as Stanford/Berkeley/Kellogg. The 2nd year I talked with said that in some classes you can do everything yourself, and others you form teams (optional). It seems more like a "do your own thing" type school.

- I observed less of a "cohesive" feeling between the students compared to Kellogg or the Cali schools.

- "Commuter School" feel. Many people live farther away from GSB than at Kellogg, mainly because of the parent school and local area.

Overall: I liked my visit, I loved the building, and I did find a few more items that would make me want to apply. Right now I'm just debating whether I want it bad enough to justify writing 2 more essays and a powerpoint package. I will have to do more website research and call a few more students to decide.

Kellogg:
Pros:
- The students were SO friendly and welcoming there. A group of students I contacted separately online over the summer got some of their friends and met up with me for a late lunch (30 minutes before classes started) instead of the official "lunch with students" thing. They introduced me to tons of other random friends of theirs, showed me around the building, and took me to a good class to attend.

- The school culture of teamwork and super-collaborative culture fits what I'm looking for. Similar to Stanford, Haas, and UCLA.

- Their entrepreneurship program is pretty strong too, with connections and VC/Entrepreneurship treks to the Silicon Valley, each once a year over 3-4 days.

- Evanston is a nice, quaint town, similar to Palo Alto but less "snobby" :wink:

Cons:
- The building definitely needs a makeover, especially after my morning in Harper. :)

- Evanston takes FOREVER to get to on the Red El line. with the Purple express, it was a bit better, but getting there and back to downtown Chicago is a pain.

Overall: I'm definitely going to apply to Kellogg, especially since I already paid my $225 deposit. The cold/windy Monday was a deterrent, but let's see if I get in first before I make a decision!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [0]
Send PM
Re: Tired... [#permalink]
BCC145 wrote:
I just submitted my 4th app for R1... feeling exhausted. I constantly check my email and this club to see whether there are any updates... I am a wreck, and this site is very addictive!

How is everybody holding up?

EDIT: Subject :)

Good for you bro...
There is a good amount of time until R2 deadlines for you. It's not like that for me though, unfortunately.

I am feeling the symptom...
Yesterday: "Damn, this is the best essay I have ever written"
Today: "Damn, this essay sucks"
It is the same freaking essay!!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am hoping I can get Tuck out in time. I have hit a wall with essays and am having a tough time with my focus.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
which # app are you on river? don't burn yourself out too much! Three was enough for me in R1
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Three done so far and would like to finish Tuck but if its not solid I will push it back if I need to.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
I am hoping I can get Tuck out in time. I have hit a wall with essays and am having a tough time with my focus.

Had a rough time focusing as well. Took me 3 days just to finish a couple of last paragraphs (mainly because I did not feel I want to do them and so kept distracting myself).

I am not thinking about this whole app thing for a couple of days and will come back to focus on interviews and R2. Need to clear my mind. But hey, how come I keep coming back to check this site? :)

Good luck on your Tuck app.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good luck with Tuck River. I feel your pain. After my 3rd app, I can't think of another word to write for Kellogg right now. Hope I'll feel differently in December.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm dazed after R1 as well...I've been trying to write the Cornell essays for R2 but after two days all I have is an outline. I would take a break but writing essays is less stressful than refreshing gmail every 30 seconds. G'luck with Tuck River.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yah, I don't think I appreciated how much the apps take out of you. did 5 R1s and now I'm spent. I can't even build up the enthusiasm to even look at the R2 apps that I know I should be starting. This is almost as bad as having to go to rugby practice hungover. Almost.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]