Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To: Anyone who is doing the Powerscore CR bible - are you

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
To: Anyone who is doing the Powerscore CR bible - are you [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 23:00
To: Anyone who is doing the Powerscore CR bible -

are you satisfied with the OA to Q. 1 on page 90 of the text in the Must Be True Questions chapter?

the answer is supposed to be A. Reason: it paraphrases the last sentence of the argument. but option A reads: "...takes into account the BELIEFS of the people..." But the last sentence of the arguments only refers to a particular type of belief: "moral beliefs based on..."

I treated this as a case of a shell game - which I thought was pretty well explained on page 83 with the rolling pin/utensils example - option D to that example was eliminated on the basis that use of "utensils" instead of rolling pin in the answer choice is a shell game.

Page 90 Q. 1, option A - use of "beliefs" (much wider than "moral beliefs") - why is this not a shell game? why must it be always be true that "beliefs" are taken into account as that expression can include non-moral beliefs (say sexual beliefs, I don't know... anything else) as well... this seemed to me to be a close parallel to the rolling pin example...

has anyone given any thought to this?
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1395 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Powerscore CR bible - question doubt - page 90 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 23:16
I think it might be better for you to just post the question than expect people to have this book with them when they read it. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Powerscore CR bible - question doubt - page 90 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 00:12
This post received
KUDOS
here you go - This is the question: I would appreciate it anyone can explain why "beliefs" in A is not a shell game answer, i.e., an answer choice which though similar does a subtle scope shift... i would have picked A before reading this chapter of the book... but turns out
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
is the answer not B. There may be other ways to approach this question which is fine... but can anyone pls shed some light on this approaching this from the "shell game" idea expressed in this book...

Some argue that laws are instituted at least in part to help establish a particular moral fabric in society. But the primary function of law is surely to help order society so that its institutions, organizations, and citizenry can work together harmoniously, regardless of any further moral aims of the law. Indeed, the highest courts have on occasion treated moral beliefs based on conscience or religious faith as grounds for making exceptions in the application of laws. The statements above, if true, most strongly support
which one of the following?

A. The manner in which laws are applied sometimes takes into account the
beliefs of the people governed by those laws.
B. The law has as one of its functions the ordering of society but is devoid of
moral aims.
C. Actions based on religious belief or on moral conviction tend to receive the
protection of the highest courts.
D. The way a society is ordered by law should not reflect any moral convictions
about the way society ought to be ordered.
E. The best way to promote cooperation among a society’s institutions,
organizations, and citizenry is to institute order in that society by means of
law.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Powerscore CR bible - question doubt - page 90 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 17:50
I got A.

Stick to the premises in the stimulus only. Do not make assumptions outside of it. That said.....

Indeed, the highest courts have on occasion treated moral beliefs based on conscience or religious faith as grounds for making exceptions in the application of laws.

This statement is pretty clear cut and it refutes B - "devoid of moral aims"

The other answers don't make any sense with regard to what's in the stimulus.

gmat1011 wrote:
here you go - This is the question: I would appreciate it anyone can explain why "beliefs" in A is not a shell game answer, i.e., an answer choice which though similar does a subtle scope shift... i would have picked A before reading this chapter of the book... but turns out
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
is the answer not B. There may be other ways to approach this question which is fine... but can anyone pls shed some light on this approaching this from the "shell game" idea expressed in this book...

Some argue that laws are instituted at least in part to help establish a particular moral fabric in society. But the primary function of law is surely to help order society so that its institutions, organizations, and citizenry can work together harmoniously, regardless of any further moral aims of the law. Indeed, the highest courts have on occasion treated moral beliefs based on conscience or religious faith as grounds for making exceptions in the application of laws. The statements above, if true, most strongly support
which one of the following?

A. The manner in which laws are applied sometimes takes into account the
beliefs of the people governed by those laws.
B. The law has as one of its functions the ordering of society but is devoid of
moral aims.
C. Actions based on religious belief or on moral conviction tend to receive the
protection of the highest courts.
D. The way a society is ordered by law should not reflect any moral convictions
about the way society ought to be ordered.
E. The best way to promote cooperation among a society’s institutions,
organizations, and citizenry is to institute order in that society by means of
law.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 10

Re: Powerscore CR bible - question doubt - page 90 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 01:07
Applying the fact test - None of the options mentioned except A can be traced back to the argument. All the options are either advocating something or giving some different opinions.

Hence it is a clear A and it isn't a shell game answer (partially true ).

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Powerscore CR bible - question doubt - page 90 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 03:47
As far as I can tell the "fact test" though trade marked and all by the author is just a fancy name for 'read the question' closely - its not something you can really 'use' in an exam setting in any tangible way - like who is not going to atleast try and read carefully!?

My question really is: go to page 83 of the book; look at the rolling pin/utensils example. Look at the reasons for rejecting option d - why does that reasoning not apply here?

Utensils (general) vs rolling pin (specific)
Beliefs (general) vs moral beliefs (specific)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1395 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Powerscore CR bible - question doubt - page 90 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 06:54
Irrespective of anything else you might say here, the "devoid" of moral beliefs is too extreme a statement for it to be valid. You're saying that there's NO moral beliefs involved at all and that's not true, strictly from what's given.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Powerscore CR bible - question doubt - page 90 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 08:51
Nice explanation, didn't think of the too extreme principle.

whiplash2411 wrote:
Irrespective of anything else you might say here, the "devoid" of moral beliefs is too extreme a statement for it to be valid. You're saying that there's NO moral beliefs involved at all and that's not true, strictly from what's given.
Re: Powerscore CR bible - question doubt - page 90   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2010, 08:51