Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 19:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
7. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one must have a net worth of over ten million dollars and must not have any connections to the entertainment industry. Robert Chase, the publishing magnate, has a net worth of 5 billion dollars and chase has not financed any Hollywood movies, so he must be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is the part of evidence in support of this argument; the second is the conclusion that could not be drawn from all evidence that the argument contains.
(B) The first is the first-evidence that supports this argument; the second is the mainpoint that must be drawn from all evidence that the argument includes.
(C) The first is the one fact of two that argument includes; the second is the conclusion that could be drawn from this passage.
(D) The first is the background that is necessary for this argument; the second is the conclusion that is not drawn only from the first.
(E) The first is the cause that the argument includes; the second is the effect that can be drawn only from this cause.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 19:53
I am going to go with C.

The conclusion of the argument is that Robert Chase must be accepted at the country club. The two evidences supporting this conclusion are 1) one must have X and Y to become a member 2) robert has X and Y
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 20:45
I haven't uderstood the question completely but I will take A here.

Robert chase doesn't satisfy the second condition. He hasn't financed any HOLLOYWOOD movies doesn't necessary mean he has no connections with entertainment industry.

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 21:28
The first sentence of the passage states two requirements that have to be satisfied. He definitely satisfies one of them and possibly satisfies the other one if more information is presented, so the conclusion as it is in the second bold part is probable.

C it is.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 22:14
between A and C I ll go with C.But can anyone explain why A is wrong?
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 00:10
C

1. One must have X and Y to take Z
2. Robert have X and Y

Conclusion is Robert must be given Z

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 13:10
clearly C.

A can not be the right answer bacuse:
(A) The first is the part of evidence in support of this argument; the second is the conclusion that could not be drawn from all evidence that the argument contains.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 13:31
Yurik79 wrote:
between A and C I ll go with C.But can anyone explain why A is wrong?

I go for A . i will explain other way !

C is wrong because it does not follow that just because one does not finance any movie he would not have connections to the entertainment industry !
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:BF - 1 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 22:04
imo, it should be D because robert doesnot fulfill the requirement to be the member of the club since his net worth is not sufficient and he hasnot financed any hollywood movie doesnot proved that he is not associated with entertainment induustry..............................

so i go with D. however, I donot have OA. i will try finding............
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2005, 23:17
A here. In C, the staement says that the conclusion could be drawn, but the argument doesnt state that the guy hasnt financed any other entertainment apart from not financing Holl movies.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

D for me [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2005, 17:57
D for me

-We cannot say whether Robert should be given admission or not just on the basis of whether he ihas not financed any movies...This doesnt tells whether he still has any association with entertainment industry or not.
So D..

But somehow A also looks good..How can we refute A??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2005, 20:34
This is a very clear A for me.

Robert has one of the two qualifications he needs to be admited into the club. So first phrase is the evidence.
Since Robert does not satisfy the two conditions, he cannot be admitted. SO the second phrase is the conclusion that cannot be drawn.

Why is D wrong? Because the first phrase is not a mere background, but is an evidence.

JAI HIND!

VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:BF - 1 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2006, 07:01
HIMALAYA wrote:
7. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one must have a net worth of over ten million dollars and must not have any connections to the entertainment industry. Robert Chase, the publishing magnate, has a net worth of 5 billion dollars and chase has not financed any Hollywood movies, so he must be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(D) The first is the background that is necessary for this argument; the second is the conclusion that is not drawn only from the first.

A says that the first is the part of evidence in support of this argument but it doesnot support the argument. the first only provides the background information about Robert that he is x and he has not done y.

only D explains the argument.....
Re: CR:BF - 1   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2006, 07:01