Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2007, 22:30
2
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (02:17) correct 59% (01:22) wrong based on 115 sessions
To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega Corporation, the sum of an employee's age, in years, and the number of years employment must be at least 70. If x, where x <70, is a certain employee's age when hired and y is the minimum number of years of employment required for the employee to be eligible for retirement benefits, which of the following equations represents the relationship between x and y?

A. xy = 70
B. x + y = 70
C. 2x + y = 70
D. x + 2y = 70
E. 2x + 2y = 70
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 26 Nov 2012, 02:29, edited 2 times in total.
OA added
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 01:56
i agree that B is the answer. However, the listed answer is D. I am trying to figure out why. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 07:40
Its is x+2y because age increases as long he is employed...if I am employed for 20years my age also increased by 20 years
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 09:22
in task they are talking about present age, but x is defined as age when hired. You have to add y to x to receive the present age and once more to add y to receive 70.
So that's D.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: GMAT Learner
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 651
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 247 [1] , given: 32

Re: To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 12:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
Employee's age + years of employment = 70
At the joining his age was y years and he did job y years. So, the employee's current age = y+y = 2y
(employee's age when hired + years of employment) + years of employment = 70
(x + y ) + y =70
x + 2y =70
_________________

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2011
Posts: 38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 14:05
What is the OA? I think its B. I tried plugging in #'s real quickly to see if it could be the other eqns but did not get it. I tried to keep my time below 2 mins
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23325
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28587 [2] , given: 2803

Re: To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 17:04
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
AzWildcat1 wrote:
What is the OA? I think its B. I tried plugging in #'s real quickly to see if it could be the other eqns but did not get it. I tried to keep my time below 2 mins


OA is D.

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega Corporation, the sum of an employee's age, in years, and the number of years employment must be at least 70. If x, where x <70, is a certain employee's age when hired and y is the minimum number of years of employment required for the employee to be eligible for retirement benefits, which of the following equations represents the relationship between x and y?
A. xy = 70
B. x + y = 70
C. 2x + y = 70
D. x + 2y = 70
E. 2x + 2y = 70

To be eligible for benefits {age}+{employment years} must be at least 70;

We are told that when a certain employee was hired he was x years old and that the he needed minimum y years to be eligible for benefits.

Now, after y years of employment, when the employee will be be eligible for benefits, the employee will be x+y years old and will have y years of employment, thus {age after y years}+{employment years}=(x+y)+y=x+2y=70.

Answer: D.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23325
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28587 [0], given: 2803

Re: To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 03:42
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 140
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 316

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 09:33
Bunuel wrote:
AzWildcat1 wrote:
What is the OA? I think its B. I tried plugging in #'s real quickly to see if it could be the other eqns but did not get it. I tried to keep my time below 2 mins


OA is D.

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega Corporation, the sum of an employee's age, in years, and the number of years employment must be at least 70. If x, where x <70, is a certain employee's age when hired and y is the minimum number of years of employment required for the employee to be eligible for retirement benefits, which of the following equations represents the relationship between x and y?
A. xy = 70
B. x + y = 70
C. 2x + y = 70
D. x + 2y = 70
E. 2x + 2y = 70

To be eligible for benefits {age}+{employment years} must be at least 70;

We are told that when a certain employee was hired he was x years old and that the he needed minimum y years to be eligible for benefits.

Now, after y years of employment, when the employee will be be eligible for benefits, the employee will be x+y years old and will have y years of employment, thus {age after y years}+{employment years}=(x+y)+y=x+2y=70.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel.. I couldn't understand that after having y years of experience how is the person left with y employment years only..If we take numerical values how can both the 'y' be same? Guess i din't understand the question well..Can you please explain it a bit more
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23325
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28587 [0], given: 2803

Re: To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 02:42
Expert's post
akankshasoneja wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
AzWildcat1 wrote:
What is the OA? I think its B. I tried plugging in #'s real quickly to see if it could be the other eqns but did not get it. I tried to keep my time below 2 mins


OA is D.

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega Corporation, the sum of an employee's age, in years, and the number of years employment must be at least 70. If x, where x <70, is a certain employee's age when hired and y is the minimum number of years of employment required for the employee to be eligible for retirement benefits, which of the following equations represents the relationship between x and y?
A. xy = 70
B. x + y = 70
C. 2x + y = 70
D. x + 2y = 70
E. 2x + 2y = 70

To be eligible for benefits {age}+{employment years} must be at least 70;

We are told that when a certain employee was hired he was x years old and that the he needed minimum y years to be eligible for benefits.

Now, after y years of employment, when the employee will be be eligible for benefits, the employee will be x+y years old and will have y years of employment, thus {age after y years}+{employment years}=(x+y)+y=x+2y=70.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel.. I couldn't understand that after having y years of experience how is the person left with y employment years only..If we take numerical values how can both the 'y' be same? Guess i din't understand the question well..Can you please explain it a bit more


Let me ask you a question: if a person was hired y years ago, how many years of employment does he have NOW?

Similar questions to practice:
for-an-employee-to-qualify-for-early-retirement-at-a-certain-143060.html
a-certain-company-retirement-plan-has-a-rule-of-109708.html

Hope this helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 140
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 316

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 09:40
Bunuel wrote:

Let me ask you a question: if a person was hired y years ago, how many years of employment does he have NOW?

Similar questions to practice:
for-an-employee-to-qualify-for-early-retirement-at-a-certain-143060.html
a-certain-company-retirement-plan-has-a-rule-of-109708.html

Hope this helps.

he will have y yrs of employment... got the question... thanks..
Re: To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2013, 09:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 ISB eligibility akshaygmat14 1 10 Jun 2014, 07:13
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Salmon oil is one of the best Omega-3 sources summer101 10 20 Oct 2013, 23:34
Benefits danzig 2 31 May 2013, 12:14
4 Eligibility amarnathbh 7 28 Mar 2011, 04:23
Eligibility Question mygcluck 5 01 Aug 2007, 21:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.