Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 07:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
7. To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must practice. If people practice a musical instrument for three hours each day, they will eventually become experts on that instrument. Therefore, if a person is an expert on a musical instrument, that person must have practiced for at least three hours each day.
Which one of the following most accurately describes a flaw in the reasoning above?
(A) The conclusion fails to take into account that people who practice for three hours every day might not yet have reached a degree of proficiency that everyone would consider expert.
(B) The conclusion fails to take into account that practicing for less than three hours each day may be enough for some people to become experts.
(C) The conclusion fails to take into account that if a person has not practiced for at least three hours a day, the person has not become an expert.
(D) The conclusion fails to take into account that three consecutive hours of daily practice is not recommended by all music teachers.
(E) The conclusion fails to take into account that few people have the spare time necessary to devote three hours daily to practice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 08:06
By POE it comes down to A and B.
I would go for A
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 08:28
I got A too ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 08:41
Between A and B.......I will go for B

I think A is not flaw because the argument takes care of this case by the word “eventuallyâ€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 08:47
B...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 09:50
B it is

pV

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: CR-expert on a musical instrument [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 12:08
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
7. To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must practice. If people practice a musical instrument for three hours each day, they will eventually become experts on that instrument. Therefore, if a person is an expert on a musical instrument, that person must have practiced for at least three hours each day.
Which one of the following most accurately describes a flaw in the reasoning above?

(A) The conclusion fails to take into account that people who practice for three hours every day might not yet have reached a degree of proficiency that everyone would consider expert.

They might not have YET reached there..but would in all likelihood get there someday if they continue with the regimen....Does not weaken.

(B) The conclusion fails to take into account that practicing for less than three hours each day may be enough for some people to become experts.

Right..Weakens because it directly attacks the evidence for becoming expert one needs to practice at least three hours each day.

(C) The conclusion fails to take into account that if a person has not practiced for at least three hours a day, the person has not become an expert.

Yeah..and will never become one if the stem is anything to go by..

(D) The conclusion fails to take into account that three consecutive hours of daily practice is not recommended by all music teachers.

Well, in that case the music teachers can go climb a tree! Jokes apart..this is a typical flaw when an attempt to prove or disprove the credibility of an argument is made by citing expert opinions which on GMAT questions is a complete taboo IMO.

(E) The conclusion fails to take into account that few people have the spare time necessary to devote three hours daily to practice.

Yeah, I can surely empathize with these souls!!

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 12:48
jyotsnasarabu, where did u get this Question...do you have a soution book that we can compare this with ?

Winsome

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 16:11
I am also confused between A and B...B wins out for me though.

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your wayâ€

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 17:37
Matrix02 wrote:
I am also confused between A and B...B wins out for me though.

folks, the OA is B...................
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 20:19
Oh good...I would have gone with B too.....
Therefore, if a person is an expert on a musical instrument, that person must have practiced for at least three hours each day.
this can be weakened by saying that some people can reach am expertize level with less than 3 hrs of practice...
which is B

Winsome

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 23:06
B 2.

A -> B, then it concludes B -> A. wrong.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2006, 00:34
dips wrote:
By POE it comes down to A and B.
I would go for A

Agree with you on the POE, but not on the final answer.

give me B!

The conclusion says: Therefore, if a person is an expert on a musical instrument, that person must have practiced for at least three hours each day.

This is a conditional conclusion. Here's a tip: On such conclusions, assume the condition is true . i.e The person is an expert. Now see how the conclusion can be true but the premise false. (As in any other weaken question)

Only B answers that.

In A, the premise is true (practise >= 3hours), but the conclusion is false (not an expert) . The exact opposite of what ne need!
  [#permalink] 21 Nov 2006, 00:34