Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To Boost Verbal Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

To Boost Verbal Score [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 19:11
Hi,

I gave my GMAT yesterday and got a shocking score of 490(44Q, 15V). This is my second attempt. First I gave on 1st of June and got 560(44Q, 23V). For the past 1 month I ve been studying only verbal and still I end up with this low score. I got trained in Princeton Review and I tried MGMAT strategic guides for both verbal and quants. Can you please suggest me the way to crack Verbal in GMAT. I feel confident in quants. My only problem in Verbal. I can boost my quants by another 5 marks if I concentrate little more. Please help!!!!!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 194

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 3

Re: To Boost Verbal Score [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 22:48
Expert's post
Hi Neeladevi, welcome to GMATClub! Maybe we can help you study more effectively, but we need to know more about why you are struggling. Exactly how have you studied? What part is most difficult for you? Do you run out of time?

My first tip to students struggling with Verbal is often "take organized notes when you study." Why did you miss that sentence correction question - was it because of parallelism? Modifiers? When you see that modifier next time, will you know what to do? What is the conclusion of this critical reasoning argument? Write it down. Maybe you could share your notes for some problems that you have done in the past with us so that we can help you.

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: To Boost Verbal Score [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 23:16
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
Hi Neeladevi, welcome to GMATClub! Maybe we can help you study more effectively, but we need to know more about why you are struggling. Exactly how have you studied? What part is most difficult for you? Do you run out of time?

My first tip to students struggling with Verbal is often "take organized notes when you study." Why did you miss that sentence correction question - was it because of parallelism? Modifiers? When you see that modifier next time, will you know what to do? What is the conclusion of this critical reasoning argument? Write it down. Maybe you could share your notes for some problems that you have done in the past with us so that we can help you.

Thanks for the quick response!!!

I have attached the analysis report generated via MGMAT online CAT exams..
Please have a look and help me out cracking the verbal part...

I will attach the analysis report of RC and SC in next post as only 2 attachments are allowed per post...
Intern
Intern

Re: To Boost Verbal Score [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 23:19
Neeladevi wrote:
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:

Thanks for the quick response!!!

I have attached the analysis report generated via MGMAT online CAT exams..
Please have a look and help me out cracking the verbal part...

I will attach the analysis report of RC and SC in next post as only 2 attachments are allowed per post...

Please find the following assessment reports attached...
Attachments

Verbal_Analysis3.jpg
Verbal_Analysis3.jpg [ 60.21 KiB | Viewed 999 times ]

Verbal_Analysis4.jpg
Verbal_Analysis4.jpg [ 78.7 KiB | Viewed 999 times ]

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 194

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 3

Re: To Boost Verbal Score [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Your RC is drastically worse than your SC and CR - close to random guessing. I would start by reviewing the principles of RC (the beginning of the MGMAT RC strategy guide is the source I know about, but there are many others too). Then start reviewing all the questions you missed, from easiest to hardest, and remember: STUDY SLOWLY. Don't move on until you understand everything about that problem. Why is the answer you picked wrong? Why is the right one right? Did you fall for a trap? Did you take bad notes? You need to figure it out before moving on.

Also, I noticed that the avg level right for your SC is equal to avg level wrong. This means that you are not missing because questions are hard, you are missing because you don't understand some of the topics. Remember that most SC problems test more than one issue: you may feel like you are doing well at SC because you always find a problem, but now you need to go back and check whether you are finding ALL the problems. As with RC: STUDY SLOWLY. Review everything before you try new problems to make sure you learn.

I hope this is enough to get you started. Maybe others here can help out too!

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: To Boost Verbal Score [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 21:45
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
Your RC is drastically worse than your SC and CR - close to random guessing. I would start by reviewing the principles of RC (the beginning of the MGMAT RC strategy guide is the source I know about, but there are many others too). Then start reviewing all the questions you missed, from easiest to hardest, and remember: STUDY SLOWLY. Don't move on until you understand everything about that problem. Why is the answer you picked wrong? Why is the right one right? Did you fall for a trap? Did you take bad notes? You need to figure it out before moving on.

Also, I noticed that the avg level right for your SC is equal to avg level wrong. This means that you are not missing because questions are hard, you are missing because you don't understand some of the topics. Remember that most SC problems test more than one issue: you may feel like you are doing well at SC because you always find a problem, but now you need to go back and check whether you are finding ALL the problems. As with RC: STUDY SLOWLY. Review everything before you try new problems to make sure you learn.

I hope this is enough to get you started. Maybe others here can help out too!

Thanks a lot!!!! :)
I will keep track of my error logs to get a better understanding!!
Re: To Boost Verbal Score   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2012, 21:45