Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To counter the escalating violence of inner cities, I

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

To counter the escalating violence of inner cities, I [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 12:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
To counter the escalating violence of inner cities, I propose that we pass new legislation banning the sell of handguns to anyone with criminal record. Such a law would require gun retailers to perform background checks on potential customers thereby lengthening the time needed to purchase a firearm while also keeping guns out of the hands of known ex-criminals. This proposal will result in fewer violent crimes and produce safer inner-city communities.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion above?

(A) the goal of gun control legislation is to reduce the number of easily accessible firearms

(B) ex-criminals who commit violent crimes generally do so with a firearm

(C) a rise in violent crime and violence can be the result of the availability of firearms to ex-criminals

(D) most ex-criminals who purchase guns do so illegally

(E) any legislation restricting gun sells to ex-criminals would result in a reduction of the number of firearms available in most inner cities

Please explain
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 13:14
Why not B?

ex-criminals will be prevented from buying firearms by the new legislation so they won't be able to commit crimes at least with firearms and there will be fewer crimes.

However, C also looks like logical. But "can be" is a little confusing. If we take that "can be" is decreasing the strength of the argument (itself), then B is the answer.

Last edited by Eren on 03 Aug 2006, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 13:48
A, D and E are out of scope.

Tough choice between B and C.

Even though C is also logically strengthening the argument but B is the strengthening more than C.

So finally I go with B.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 14:54
B it is .

Both B and C strengthen the argument but C does it to a lesser extent than B.

B says 'generally do so' which is near to being certain.
C says 'can be' which means could be , may be but not certain to same extent as B.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Inner cities and ex-criminals [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 15:29
I think it's E. The passages states that the purpose of the handgun legislation is 'to counter the escalating violence of inner cities'. The question asks which statement would most strengthen the argument if true. If E is true, then the legislation would result in a reduction of the number of firearms in most inner cities. I believe this accomplished the goal as stated in the passage.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Inner cities and ex-criminals [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 16:17
u2lover wrote:
To counter the escalating violence of inner cities, I propose that we pass new legislation banning the sell of handguns to anyone with criminal record. Such a law would require gun retailers to perform background checks on potential customers thereby lengthening the time needed to purchase a firearm while also keeping guns out of the hands of known ex-criminals. This proposal will result in fewer violent crimes and produce safer inner-city communities.

(A) the goal of gun control legislation is to reduce the number of easily accessible firearms

(C) a rise in violent crime and violence can be the result of the availability of firearms to ex-criminals

(D) most ex-criminals who purchase guns do so illegally

(E) any legislation restricting gun sells to ex-criminals would result in a reduction of the number of firearms available in most inner cities

Please explain

B for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 20:47
I'll go with C.
C makes it clear that ex-criminals are responsible for the rise in crimes, B misses this point.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 21:16
Its a tough call between B and C

What tilted the favour to B, was the mention of rise in violet crimes in C.
The conclusion is "proposal will result in fewer violent crimes and produce safer inner-city communities. "

B states that violet crimes are commited by ex criminals with firearms.
Hence if we take out the firarms from them, there will be a reduction in violent crimes.

C means that if we take out the guns ..... the crime rate will remain constant not rise..... but that is not the conclusion.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 23:23
B for me.

ex-criminals who commit violent crimes generally do so with a firearm - lesser the firearms available to ex-criminals, lesser the violent crimes.

Hema

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Inner cities and ex-criminals [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 02:16
u2lover wrote:

Please explain

I would say C.... B says that "ex-criminals who commit violent crimes generally do so with a firearm".... so what if they have the firearms or procure them illegally...

C states a reason that rise is directly related to "availability of firearms to ex-criminals" ... So curbing this will reduce the crime...

Also the argument starts with To counter the escalating violence of inner cities so even if the crime rate is kept constant, that would be fine... C will help to curb it officially

I might be wrong but then this is what I make out of this....[/b]
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 04:49
what is the OA? I would go with C
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 06:35
I will go for E.

In my opinion, legislation will not allow crimes to do purchase and its background check will not let danger people(who are not officially declared) to do shopping. Overall background process also slow down the sale.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 10:11
C for me. It is in fact a key assumption for the argument, which is that banning sale of fire arms to known criminals will result in fewer violent crimes - what does this depend on? that firearms AID in Violence as stated in C.

Now Negating C - firearms with ex-criminals do NOT aid in violence, implying that the presence of fire arms with ex criminals would make no difference to the Violence, will kill the argument.

B is limited in scope because it talks about the use (read utility) of firearms in committing crimes which is not so big a deal in this case.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 15:59
like many here, I picked B, but OA is C
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 19:12
OE:

Only Choice C draws a direct link b/w the goal of the proposed legislation (a reduction of violence in inner-city communities) and the actions taken by the legislation (restricting sells of firearms to ex-criminals).

While Choice B seems similar to Choice C, Choice B ties crime to firearms. Choice C ties crime to availability of firearms. Since the legislation will only restrict the availability of firearms by restricting legal retail sells only Choice C directly strengthens the conclusion.

sorry for typos if any... can't copy and paste this one :cry:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 03:13
Tricky. Agree with C.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 03:16
u2lover wrote:
OE:

Only Choice C draws a direct link b/w the goal of the proposed legislation (a reduction of violence in inner-city communities) and the actions taken by the legislation (restricting sells of firearms to ex-criminals).

While Choice B seems similar to Choice C, Choice B ties crime to firearms. Choice C ties crime to availability of firearms. Since the legislation will only restrict the availability of firearms by restricting legal retail sells only Choice C directly strengthens the conclusion.

sorry for typos if any... can't copy and paste this one :cry:

Additionally, choice (B) assumes that all ex-criminals are guilty of committing violent crimes. That means anybody convicted of even a misdamenanor like drunk driving would be considered a threat to society if they possessed a gun.

(C) is the best choice here.
  [#permalink] 21 Aug 2006, 03:16