Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:03

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To crack the CR section on the GMAT, several successful

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
To crack the CR section on the GMAT, several successful [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 16:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
To crack the CR section on the GMAT, several successful folks have repeatedly mentioned that they had practised with the LAST books. Could any good samaritan soul suggest a worthy prep book? Unlike say Barron's or Princeton's GMAT, it's like, jeeez, if you don't know just shut up, don't teach it wrong!!!!

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: LAST prep material - suggest good books. [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 18:57
BarneyStinson wrote:
To crack the CR section on the GMAT, several successful folks have repeatedly mentioned that they had practised with the LAST books. Could any good samaritan soul suggest a worthy prep book? Unlike say Barron's or Princeton's GMAT, it's like, jeeez, if you don't know just shut up, don't teach it wrong!!!!

Seriously, 23 views in just less than 24 hours and yet, not one reply??

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 19

Re: LAST prep material - suggest good books. [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
Mr Stinson,

When I wrote the LSAT a few years ago I found the best way to improve my CR/RC scores was to practice the prep tests. The LSAC, equivilent to the GMAC, releases much more offical material than the GMAT. You can purchase every test (with answers) they've ever released. Only problem is that they do NOT come with explainations. In conjunction with the harder material you may find yourself spending more time wracking your brain trying to figure out tough answers.

They have released 3 books with 10 official tests in each and they are dirt cheap ($20 each - great deal) on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Actual-Offic ... 431&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/More-Actual-Offic ... 455&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/10-Actual-Officia ... 482&sr=1-4

That's MORE that enough tough, tough CR/RC to last you for only $60.

Each test will have a logic games section, obviously you can skip that. Which is great cause I found it to be the most difficult part of the LSAT. Each test will also have 2 CR sections and 1 RC. At an average of 25 questions per section thats 500 CR and 250 RC per book. With all three your looking at well over 1500 CR and 750 RC.

When I was studying for the LSAT I found reviewing "stratgies" and "techniques" from study guides to be kind of unhelpful. Its tough to teach somewhat innate analytical skills, the answer (for me at least) was intense practice. I just kept plowing through the prep tests until I honed my analytical reflexes. You'd begin to notice logic patterns in questions, begin to be able to have an idea of what the answer your looking for is after reading the passages but before you read the answer choices, begin to notice common traps and trick wording that they use over and over. I did probably 25-30 LSAT prep tests before I wrote it and the way I had to train my brain still sticks with me today (Suffice to say most of my GMAT studying has been centered on quant) I got in the 81% percentile on the LSAT, a poor logic games showing stifled a higher score.

In any event, thats my advice. If you you'd still like to get a book to help you navigate the basics of CR/RC strategy I highly recommend MGMAT RC/CR books. I'm in no way affiliated with them, but IMO they produce the best, most comprehensive self-study guides out there.

Hope this helps, take care.

currency

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 8

Re: LAST prep material - suggest good books. [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 12:24
PowerScore Logic Reasoning Bible is pretty much a bible on LR in LSAT world.

Real practice tests are also most helpful for practice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 19

Re: LAST prep material - suggest good books. [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 12:42
Let me add one further suggestion. I'll note that I haven't done this yet but will be following this plan soon.

In studying for the GMAT RC/CR out of the OG I have noticed that on some of the questions I tend to overthink and overanalyze questions or split hairs too much when I have narrowed down the answers choices to 2 or 3 - and end up getting the question wrong as a result. I attribute this habit as a relic of the intense CR/RC studying I did for the LSAT a few years back. The GMAT RC/CR is, on the whole, generally simpler and shorter than the LSAT. Not to say it isn't difficult or has traps, but on the whole, its a toned down version of the LSAT.

As a result, I am plan to go thru at least one of the books I linked above to start, in order to stretch my abilities and work up my stamina. Afterwards, I plan to go through the GMAT Verbal OG (shortly before the test, manye 1-2 weeks) in order to reacclimatize myself to the less demanding RC/CR.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8163 [0], given: 3640

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: LAST prep material - suggest good books. [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 18:23
Expert's post
Wow, Currency - fantastic Post.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 19

Re: LAST prep material - suggest good books. [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 10:35
Thanks BB - my first kudos! I appreciate that.

I thought of one other tip for you Barney, when your doing the LSAT CR you'll notice they have more categories of questions that they ask. Ie. On GMAT its alot of find the assumption, whats strengthens, weakens argument, etc.

On the LSAT they have a deeper breadth of these categories and for the most part I would do them all, they are all useful in sharpening your CR skills. However, I would skip the parallel reasoning questions. They are 1. Long and 2. very hard and 3. way over the GMATs head. You'll see them, its usually a paragraph and then each answer is a paragraph, one of them has the same logical structure. Do them if you want, but they can be so time consuming I would think your time would be better spent by skipping them, plowing on and saving yourself the time scrutinizing each answer if you get it wrong.

hope it helps.

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: LAST prep material - suggest good books. [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 11:55
when i prepared for the LSAT, the main books i used were the Powerscore LR bible and the LSAT preptests. i agree with currency in that it seemed to be more helpful to get lots of practice rather than memorizing strategies. however, i think at a bare minimum, you should be looking at the 2 books i mentioned above. if you look on craigslist, you might even be able to find used versions of those "10 actual preptest" series of books - that's how i was able to score mine pretty cheap

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: LAST prep material - suggest good books.   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2010, 11:55