Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 18:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

69% (01:38) correct 31% (00:35) wrong based on 40 sessions
To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic determinants of fertility.

A. have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic
B. have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
C. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
D. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic
E. would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical

OA is E. IMO it should be D. What do you think?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 19:03
english_august wrote:
To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic determinants of fertility.

B. have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
C. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
D. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic
E. would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical

E is better only because of parallism: social and economical. Otherwise I prefer A.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 19:25
GMAT TIGER wrote:
english_august wrote:

E is better only because of parallism: social and economical. Otherwise I prefer A.

If you are going for ||lism than isn't C a better choice?
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 20:41
english_august wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
english_august wrote:

If you are going for ||lism than isn't C a better choice?

i guess its same but "they do" is not required or unnecessary.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 22:23
english_august wrote:

D

AB: would establishes meaning better elim these two choices.

C: economical is inappropriate here. means inexpensive
E: same economical is inappropriate here. means inexpensive

please check out this link http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic4710.html
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain

Kudos [?]: 732 [1] , given: 40

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
OA is D.

Q41 - OG12:
Verb form; Logical predication
Th is sentence explains a hypothetical situation and therefore calls for a conditional—or contraryto- fact—construction, because in order to more accurately predict population, demographers would have to know more than they presently
know. A present-tense verb is required to describe the current state of demographers’ knowledge, and the comparison made by the sentence must be
between current and conditional knowledge, not between knowledge and time of knowing (now). A Wrong comparison—between knowledge and time (now); conditional verb is needed. B Conditional verb is needed; economical is the
wrong adjective. C Economical is the wrong adjective. D Correct. Conditional knowledge, indicated by would have to know, is correctly compared
to current knowledge. E Wrong comparison—between what demographers need to know and now.

The correct answer is D.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 00:48
yap - a little typo

the OA here is D
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 05:34
I will choose D

social and economic --> economic means related to finance ---> intended meaning

economical -thrifty ---> changes the meaning of the sentence --> making the fertility sound economical

A is clear OUT

D is left.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 04:47
According to Manhattan SC, economical means efficient, and that is what we want to say here, so Im with C.
Please clarify.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 744 [0], given: 11

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 10:36
Hey Noburu,

Just to weigh in real quickly, we don't want "efficient" here. We want "economic", meaning "related to the economy" (economy meaning "wealth and resources" of a region or country). We want to know how economic (money-related) factors relate to fertility, etc.

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 744 [1] , given: 11

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

I got asked about this privately, but I think the same question was asked by mymisc as well. The question is, do we need the "would" here, and why? The issue is that this sentence is a hypothetical/conditional:

To develop more accurate population forecasts

We could reword this as "If we wanted more accurate forecasts, demographers..."

In a conditional construction, we need the "would". Look at how it would work in a NON-conditional:

To develop accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more...

See how, in that example, without the "more," we're just talking about a fact (how forecasts are developed accurately)? But with the conditional, we need the complete conditional construction, with "would."

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 36

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 11:29

E had written wrong it is not "economical". In the original exam,gmatprep 2, it is written "economic".

so i picked up E why it is not true.

I chose E can anyone explain it pls?

E. would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic

it is the right question.

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 05:48
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I got asked about this privately, but I think the same question was asked by mymisc as well. The question is, do we need the "would" here, and why? The issue is that this sentence is a hypothetical/conditional:

In a conditional construction, we need the "would". Look at how it would work in a NON-conditional:

To develop accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more...

See how, in that example, without the "more," we're just talking about a fact (how forecasts are developed accurately)? But with the conditional, we need the complete conditional construction, with "would."

-t

Nice point about 'more'. I hadn't come across this explanation before, so in a different thread for the same question, I picked A.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 18:20
english_august wrote:

"Than they do now" is necessary because it clarifies that comparison is between demographer's current knowledge of social and economic determinants and future knowledge. Hence. I will pick D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 19:14
OA is definitely D.

But I have a question, and this always bugs me. Shouldn't this sentence be "To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers will(instead of would) have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic"? :?
Isn't would used for hypothetical and will for certainty? Here the demographers certainly need to know a great deal....
Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: SC: To develop more accurate population forecasts [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 06:05
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

-t

Don't u think that "more accurate" and "accurate" are both conditional??
In both scenarios , It is a condition to achieve something..Can you give some more examples? :)
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 10:30
Expert's post
Quote:
I don't find anything incorrect in the main sentence. The answer is D. We can easily eliminate B and C based on the word economical. Can you please help point out what is wrong is the main sentence and how can we correct it?

The beginning of the sentence suggests a hypothetical situation - so we need "would" in the beginning of the answer choice.
"In order to blah...something hypothetical has to happen"

So either (C), (D), or (E).

In (C) "economical" doesn't make sense. Between (D) and (E), (D) work out a lot better. Choose (D).

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 19:54
How can we find out that the sentence explains a hypothetical situation? Are there any signal words?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 30 May 2014, 23:30
yolandaxu wrote:
How can we find out that the sentence explains a hypothetical situation? Are there any signal words?

To identify the hypothetical situation you have to understand the meaning also there is ,in some cases, inclusion of 'if'/'wish' clause that marks the hypothetical situation.
Think is the sentence is talking about an uncertainty (contrary to reality) for example :

If it rains,(then) we will go out -- here IF denotes the conditional occurrence of an event in future on which another event depends which might occur.
Here we used 'will' because the conditional clause is in present tense.

other cases Past and Perfect - uses would and would have respectively.... Other point to note such sentence always uses plural verb form (instead of was -- it will be were) irrespective of the subject
If I were king, I would rule the world.
If I had two cars, I would have never own a bicycle.

"would" is generally used for the refer future in the past.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-31-2014
GPA: 2.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 77

CAT Tests
Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2014, 07:07

A. have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic - Since it is a hypothetical situation, a conditional clause must be used. Economic is correct
B. have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical - Hypothetical Situation + Economical is wrong
C. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical - Would Have is correct. Economical is wrong.
D. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic - Correct
E. would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical - Illogical Comparison between knowledge and Time (Now). Economical is wrong

Economic - Is used to refer to general general economy
Economical is used for cost wise reference. E.g. Product X is economical (not economic)

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2014, 07:07