Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 15

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 05:01
D for me too. However, is 'they' justified for demographers alone, and not for forecasts?
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 05:53
+1 for (D)

(C) & (D) has the tie but (D) wins because "economic" refers to the "determinants of fertility" whereas "economical" is used in monetary context.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 02:13
MGMAT says 'would' is used to express the future from the past's point of view.

Ex- The scientist believes that the machine would be wonderful

The above example is wrong as 'believes' is in present. If believes is replaced by 'believed' the ex becomes correct.

Now can someone explain why would is used here as the tense used in the question is simple present/present perfect.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 03:34
hbs2012 wrote:
To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic detriments of fertility.

(A) have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic
(B) have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
(C) would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
(D) would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic
(E) would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical

Question 32 Set 1

help

"they" in D is correct because it parallel with "demographers" . This situation of pronoun ambiguity is acceptable according to gmat standard.

D is pattern of parallelism between main clause and subordinate clause. This kind of paralellism is tested brutally in the question " paris is her home before it it fastionable to be..." which you can search on the internet.

the concept tested here is that kind of parallelism.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 992 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rajathpanta wrote:

The above example is wrong as 'believes' is in present. If believes is replaced by 'believed' the ex becomes correct.

Now can someone explain why would is used here as the tense used in the question is simple present/present perfect.

Hi rajathpanta,

The scientist believes that the machine would be wonderful --> is incorrect because here we are mixing present with conditional.

Why is this so? because it is a rule. For conditionals there a few rules and you have to just remember them, there is not much to understand here. The rules on Conditionals are governed by set rules. MGMAT has explained the rules quite well, just make a note of them.

Consider this sentence: The scientist said that the machine would be wonderful. --> here "would" is expressing past as it is being used in the reported speech. The sentence is correct as per another rule on the usage of would.

The scientist believed that the machine would be wonderful - Correct usage, "would" expresses future from the past point of view.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 07:44
Vercules wrote:
rajathpanta wrote:

Hi rajathpanta,

The scientist believes that the machine would be wonderful --> is incorrect because here we are mixing present with conditional.

Why is this so? because it is a rule. For conditionals there a few rules and you have to just remember them, there is not much to understand here. The rules on Conditionals are governed by set rules. MGMAT has explained the rules quite well, just make a note of them.

Consider this sentence: The scientist said that the machine would be wonderful. --> here "would" is expressing past as it is being used in the reported speech. The sentence is correct as per another rule on the usage of would.

The scientist believed that the machine would be wonderful - Correct usage, "would" expresses future from the past point of view.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Hi Vercules,

Thanks. Can you explain how this rule is applicable to the question discussed here.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously

Expert Post
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 992 [0], given: 82

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 07:48
Expert's post
Hi rajathpanta,

Which question you are referring to. The main question of the post or your specific question. If it is your specific question, the please let me know which one.

Vercules

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 07:52
Vercules wrote:
Hi rajathpanta,

Which question you are referring to. The main question of the post or your specific question. If it is your specific question, the please let me know which one.

Vercules

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic detriments of fertility.

(B) have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
(C) would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
(D) would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic
(E) would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical

Here, why is would used?? I wanted to understand that as per your explanation given.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 992 [2] , given: 82

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rajathpanta wrote:
Vercules wrote:
Hi rajathpanta,

Vercules

Here, why is would used?? I wanted to understand that as per your explanation given.

Hi rajathpanta,

In my last explanation I did not discuss hypothetical would, but a few rules related to would. I guess that you are confused because you are not able to find any conditional construct in the question above. The hypothetical would is used based on the context of the sentence. In almost all the questions which test standard conditional constructs "if then" constructions are used.

See the below question from OG12 which uses the conditional if x happened, then y would happen.

Q 67) Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar,.......

In the question above hypothetical conditional would is used. The sentence expresses a hypothetical situation, which needs a hypothetical conditional would. But, the incorrect answers are incorrect for different reasons, other than the use of would.

The question does not really test your knowledge on conditionals if you solve it by POC. The following question will also have the correct answer as (D). I have just made a change in option (D) ( "would have to" to "have to")

(D) have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic

Correct choice is (D) because other options are wrong for clear grammatical and contextual errors; Although, "would have to know" will be better because the hypothetical situation is being discussed

The same conditional is tested in the following OG question;

Q 16) Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August,
intensifying expectations that personal spending.....

I hope the above explanation helps,

Vercules

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 282

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
of if there is a conditional and there are options with 'would' and options without 'would' we should prefer the 'would' ones is what I can gather as of now.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 992 [1] , given: 82

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rajathpanta wrote:
of if there is a conditional and there are options with 'would' and options without 'would' we should prefer the 'would' ones is what I can gather as of now.

Hi rajathpanta,

From what I have seen in a lot of GMAT questions, I agree with you. In my estimate, I think you will be correct 80% of the times in selecting answer choice with would. Most often than not I have seen that it is relatively easier to do a 3:2 split based on apparent errors, but if you are stuck between two otherwise correct answer choices, which differ in the placement of just a word, then the choice with that word is likely to be the correct one.

Following example from OG12 contains an incorrect "would" option.

Q 39) In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to.......

Option (E) contains a conditional would, but you can get from the meaning that the usage is incorrect.

Vercules

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 03:18
hbs2012 wrote:

Question 32 Set 1

help

Went wrong by choosing economical over economic....D sounds better than C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 12

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 17:05
hbs2012 wrote:

Question 32 Set 1

help

Just want to share my thoughts here:
i think the construction would and would have will go here. The only difference is between economic and economical. This eliminates B,C and E. In A the comparison is incorrect. D Wins.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1376 [0], given: 122

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 00:56
hbs2012 wrote:

Question 32 Set 1

help

First split: economical VS economic
*Economical = efficient
*Economic = "money" value
==> Clearly, "economic detriments" is correct ==> B, C, E are out
A is wrong because the intended meaning is: in the future, demographers would have to know .... more than they do now. But in A, "have to know...more than now" is incorrect.

Only D is correct.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 10:57
1) To get 700 in gmat , I have to score 48 in quant and 38 in verbal section .
2) To get 700 in gmat , I would have to score 48 in quant and 38 in verbal section .

Is the # 1 incorrect because of same reasons as in this OG problem ?

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 03:15
hbs2012 wrote:

Question 32 Set 1

help

this is old question. both A and E is correct. there is no ambiguity in choice A. we will never have to choose betwen A and D on the test

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2014, 03:15