Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 42

Re: Different Levaska Question [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 04:12
C !!
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 109

Re: Different Levaska Question [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 21:33
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Different Levaska Question [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 19:00
That's right...I mostly got C by process of elimination as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

Re: Different Levaska Question [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 20:27
OptimusPrimea1 wrote:
Little confused here..

But with C, how can we guarantee that people will not withdraw any money from the bank and in turn making the plan effective..That is not stated in the answer..The plan would become effective if people invest before 65 and not withdraw until 65..

That was my method of eliminating C..

I like this question.

a strenthener or weakener do not prove or destroy the argument. They only increase the belief or doubt in the conclusion by increasing the belief or doubt in one of many assumptions of the argument-one argument of course has many assumptions. This is clasical thinking of in kaplan premier book, a very basic book.

a assumption can be an strengthener, of course but a strengthener can not be an asumption .

in above question, C displays an assumption that many persons will deposit and is of course a strengthener.

another assumption that persons will not withdraw deposit will ,of course, be a strengthener. but we do not need 2 assumption to be correct to have a strengthener. The information which increases belief in ONE assumption, not in 2 or all assumptions, or which is ONE assumption ,not 2 or all assumptions, is enough to be a strengthener

are you satisfied with this explanation. pls, let me know
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 16

Re: Different Levaska Question [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 23:37
I will go with C

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 06:16
I got C
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 04:46
It's C

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 36

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 13:30
ezinis wrote:
To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of Levaska, the country's legislature decided to implement a plan that allows investors to save up to $1,000 per year in special accounts without paying taxes on the interest earned unless withdrawals are made before the investor reaches age sixty-five. Withdrawals from these accounts prior to age sixty-five would result in the investor's having to pay taxes on all the accumulated interest at the time of withdrawal.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the legislature's plan will have its intended effect?

A. The money saved in the tax-free savings accounts will be deposited primarily in those banks and financial institutions that supported the legislation instituting the plan.
B. The majority of people choosing to take advantage of the tax-free savings accounts will withdraw their money prior to age sixty-five.
C. A significant number of the citizens of Levaska will invest in the tax-free savings accounts well before they reach the age of sixty-five.
D. During the ten years prior to implementation of the plan, Levaskans deposited an increasingly smaller percentage of their annual income in long-term savings accounts.
E. People who are not citizens of Levaska are not eligible to invest in the tax-free savings accounts, even if their income is taxable in Levaska.

Since most people are getting C as the answer, there isn't much point in analyzing the whys and wherefores. Lets talk about how to get the answer quickly.

Before getting to the choices, lets point out that the conclusion is "long term savings rate will improve of the citizens of Levaska" <<-- personally for me, identifying this before reading the answer choices helped reduce the time needed to come to the right answer. Give it a try, might work for you.

E - out, not citizens of Levaska
A - out, as it does nothing to strengthen/weaken the conclusion
B - hurts. if people withdraw then savings rate will not increase.
D - the conclusion talks about future savings rates and not what had happened before it.

C - helps the "long term" component of our conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:29
why D ?
it has to be C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 00:27
+1 for C
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-15-2011

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 18:51
C in 1min23sec
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2011, 21:13
C it is ,tax free savings is very lucrative policy and D says what happen 10 years prior but no reference to what will happen after.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 22:00
C is the answer here.
A. Where the money is deposited is irrelevant to the conclusion that long-term savings are to be increased.
B. Clearly weakens. If most people withdraw, then the amount (a huge amount at the time of withdrawal) will be taxed and the long-term savings will not increase.
C. If more people invest, then it supports the contention that the long-term savings of the citizens might increase. CORRECT ANSWER.
D. Requires an extra assumption that what happened earlier WILL NECESSARILY happen in the future. That is why this choice is a trap.
E. Out of scope. The argument talks only about the citizens of Levaska.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 20

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 06:16
+1 for C.

I eliminate D with the following points:

objective of the plan is to increase rate of long term savings, i.e., to increase no. of people who invest in long term savings.

D says that only small percentage of savings is happening..but it does not talk about no. of people. Even if we consider this not the ground to eliminate, we can not accept D because we don't know what reasons are prohibiting people from saving large percentage. Probably they had better alternatives compared with the new plan. If that is the case, people will still continue having small percentage of savings.

In contrast with that, C gives us a FACT (notice usage of the words: "WILL INVEST") not an assumption.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 07:47
+1 for C
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 20:18
My ans is C
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1276

Kudos [?]: 3597 [0], given: 185

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 07:46
Expert's post
I just responded to a student's doubt to this question and thought of posting the video here :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 10:29
what is the difficulty of this question
took really long to answer this question
though its c with no controversy

just one more month for exam...

Re: To improve the long-term savings rate of the citizens of   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2012, 10:29