Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 00:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 59 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2008, 05:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:51) correct 35% (00:50) wrong based on 769 sessions
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 185 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG SC [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2008, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
This is parallelism question. Second part of sentence has "she" as subject and immediately followed by the verb in past tense. So first part should also have Josephine Baker as suject that should be immediately followed by past tense verb.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
This sentence has Paris as its subject and so incorrect.

B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home
"paris was her home" and "for Josephine Baker" are redundant anyone of these two phrase is required.

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable
"long before..." is an awkawrd construction.

D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home
Seems correct.

E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker
"Paris" is subject of this sentence and "Being" is unnecessary.

Answer D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG SC [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2008, 08:38
this one is quite unclear ... none of the answers is really straight forward! where are our experts?
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG SC [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 06:03
note that in option C i have removed the second "expatriate" since i think its a typo

jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate her is redundant, and this sentence makes it sound that "fasionable to be an expatriate" was something JB did/wanted. It has no clear referrent
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home what does "it" refer to?
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable correct
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home "it" seems to refer to JB (the subject)
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker "it" seems to refer to Paris (the subject)

C

*disclaimer, i am at work and don't have my OG, so i could be wrong :)
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG SC [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 12:15
D,

This is subject-verb agreement problem.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG SC [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 12:25
Two independent sentences are coordinated using “and”. The subject of the second sentence “She” and it would be clear if the Subject of the first sentence clarifies “She”.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate [o be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate – awkward – eliminate it]
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home [Hold it]
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: OG SC [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 07:42
buffdaddy wrote:
note that in option C i have removed the second "expatriate" since i think its a typo

jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate her is redundant, and this sentence makes it sound that "fasionable to be an expatriate" was something JB did/wanted. It has no clear referrent
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home what does "it" refer to?
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable correct
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home "it" seems to refer to JB (the subject)
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker "it" seems to refer to Paris (the subject)

C

*disclaimer, i am at work and don't have my OG, so i could be wrong :)

Option C is wrong, reason 'long before...' is refering to home not Joshephine....
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG SC [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 09:24
D it is. The first statement clearly refers to JB. Its a modifier issue.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 11

Parallel problem 4 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 04:55
This post received
KUDOS
Need to discuss the options, specially regarding "If"
Attachments

og.JPG
og.JPG [ 41.81 KiB | Viewed 9225 times ]

og.JPG
og.JPG [ 41.81 KiB | Viewed 9224 times ]

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 19:25
What does "it" refer to here in D??

I understand it's Paris but is there pronoun ambiguity?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 152 [1] , given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 22:58
This post received
KUDOS
gmatmember85 wrote:
What does "it" refer to here in D??

I understand it's Paris but is there pronoun ambiguity?

IMO "it" works as a placeholder here. It is not referring to any noun.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 14:52
I eliminated D because of pronoun ambiguity. After reviewing the OA, it seems "it" can show up before its antecedent. So long as there is only one possible "antecedent" ? Is this the correct reasoning?

Alejandro LC
MMT - EGADE Business School 2013
SM - HEC Paris 2014

Starting your journey towards business school? My experience can help you...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 282

Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 02:11
ex-It is high time I get a good score? So if this sentence is correct. I guess the construction is similar to this

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 02:32
WHY C is wrong?

og explains that C is wrong because the inversion is aukward.

I infer that "to do " as subject is not prefered

and

it is+ adjective+ to do

is prefered.

is my thinking correct?, experts, please,explain this point.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 02:47
vietmoi999 wrote:
WHY C is wrong?

og explains that C is wrong because the inversion is aukward.

I infer that "to do " as subject is not prefered

and

it is+ adjective+ to do

is prefered.

is my thinking correct?, experts, please,explain this point.

if you fit option C in sentence:

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate,and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance
is that sounds correct.
before it was fashionable to be an expatriate was fashinable expatriate.

i think clause cannot be the object of a sentence.
moreover an expatriate was fashinable expatriate==>this is completely awkward too.

about your doubt can you please elaborate what you wanted to say.

thanks

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 14:59
This is tricky, if you understand the word " expatriate" actually means a person, then the problem is easy.
If not, you might think D has modifer error.

C structure looks correct, but meaning not as originally intended.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 00:54
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate

Betweem B and D:

B) "For Josephine.. Paris was her home" just doesn't sound right. We already know "her" refers to Josephine, and the addition of "her" in this place is just awkward. Also, the "for" in the beginning kind of distorts the intended meaning of the author.

D) First we're given an inessential clause, then Josephine is introduced and the rest of the underlined portion is parallel to "she remained in France" .. So D is correct
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 06:57
Hi e-gmat,

I am wondering if there are any other others in this sentence except the one that OG has pointed out, that is 2 independent clauses when connected by ', and' are most clear when their subject is same.

Can you please help me here ? Also, In D answer choice since opening modifier is about Paris, doesnt it seem to be modifying 'Josephin Baker' rather than Paris ?

Its not over yet!!!

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1236

Kudos [?]: 3395 [0], given: 181

Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 02:05
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
freakygeek wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

I am wondering if there are any other others in this sentence except the one that OG has pointed out, that is 2 independent clauses when connected by ', and' are most clear when their subject is same.

Can you please help me here ? Also, In D answer choice since opening modifier is about Paris, doesnt it seem to be modifying 'Josephin Baker' rather than Paris ?

Hi there,

Thank you for posting your query here.

The parallelism error between the two clauses seems to be the only grammatical error in option A, but you can also see this as a meaning issue. The subject of the sentence should be Josephine Baker, since the main point of the sentence is to tell us something about her. This focus is lost when Paris is made the subject of the sentence.

Modifiers about time periods tell us when the subject performed an action; they don't describe the subject itself. This modifier could theoretically be replaced by a modifier such as the following: In 1940, Josephine Baker made Paris her home. Here, the time period doesn't have to tell us more about the subject; it merely tells us about the time in which she performed a certain action. The modifier in option D functions in pretty much the same way: it tells us when Baker made Paris her home.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts!

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 03:12
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

Sentence presents two facts about JB-
1) To JB, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
2) she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

Structure: Noun phrase, clause1 and clause2.
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate[/u], and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

JB is the subject of both the parts. "and" indicates parallelism and for meaning clarity, these clauses should be parallel. In other words, the subject pronoun "she" should refer to the subject noun of the preceding clause and hence JB should be the subject of the first clause.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate- JB should be the subject of the former clause

'her' is redundant.

B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home- JB should be the subject of the former clause

Structure: noun phrase, modifier, clause 1 and clause 2 - placement of introductory elements is bad

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable

Structure: Clause 1 modifier and clause 2

The construction is reversed.

Structure: Modifier, Clause 1 and Clause 2- Looks good!

E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker- JB should be the subject of the former clause

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
CrackVerbal

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2014, 03:12