Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 00:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To maintain a high demand for their product, the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 7

To maintain a high demand for their product, the [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 06:23
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:48) correct 32% (00:43) wrong based on 85 sessions
870. To maintain a high demand for their product, the manufacturers first took over the marketing and sales functions previously performed by outside agents; next, they began changing their advertising campaigns monthly to keep pace with the rapid changes in consumers’ lives.
(A) they began changing
(B) this began changing
(C) the former began changing
(D) to begin changing
(E) to change
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 7

Re: To maintain a high demand for their product [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 06:32
Here as They is a part of another independent clause so it can unambiguously refer to manufacturers (Thats what i learn from this forum but i think i missed this concept)

Can someone please elaborate on this concept
Thanks in advance!!!
_________________

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 174
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 13

Re: To maintain a high demand for their product [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 09:11
2
This post received
KUDOS
shikhar wrote:
Here as They is a part of another independent clause so it can unambiguously refer to manufacturers (Thats what i learn from this forum but i think i missed this concept)

Can someone please elaborate on this concept
Thanks in advance!!!


I think you have to apply the logic test here. Because at first glance, it does seem like "they" can refer to both manufacturers or the special agents. But when looking at the sentence it says "first the manufacturers took over . . . next they began changing." The reasoning "they" is not ambiguous (from what I read on another forum) is that the first . . . next structure implies that whoever took the "first" action (the manufacturers), also will take the "next" action. I could somewhat buy that argument
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Enjoying the GMAT journey....
Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 735
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: To maintain a high demand for their product [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 10:01
shikhar wrote:
870. To maintain a high demand for their product, the manufacturers first took over the marketing and sales functions previously performed by outside agents; next, they began changing their advertising campaigns monthly to keep pace with the rapid changes in consumers’ lives.
(A) they began changing
(B) this began changing
(C) the former began changing
(D) to begin changing
(E) to change

In D and E, The sentence starts with " to" and if we connect D or E with the actual sentence, we will find a run on sentence. rather the sentence looks incomplete, begining with prepositional phrase as if it were to modify what comes next with a comma.
C doesn't make sense as "The former" is causinf ambiguity here.
B begind with "this" , again it doesn't have an antecedent.
A is correct because They is referring to the subject( The manufacturers) of the main clause and is thus following II-ism.
_________________

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 7

Re: To maintain a high demand for their product [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 01:24
Also i found the Below concept interesting so just posting it..

It stands for "manufacturers".

Often times, the pattern after the use of semicolon is:

semicolon + conjunctive adverb + comma
; next ,

What follows that typical structure is a pronoun which refers to the subject of the independent clause --> "they" refers to "the manufacturers" for it is the manufacturers which took over the first set of actions and "they"[the manufacturers] who began changing [...]
_________________

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 35
Location: India
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: To maintain a high demand for their product [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 19:27
New concept !!!! To keep in mind
_________________

Kudos if you like the post!!!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 191
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Re: To maintain a high demand for their product [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 17:59
A is correct. All other answer choices other than A do not create a complete sentence.
_________________

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 76
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 26

Re: To maintain a high demand for their product [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 00:22
";" in the un=underlined part indicate that the underlined is a IC and need it's own subj and verb etc.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1778
Followers: 1236

Kudos [?]: 3395 [1] , given: 181

Re: To maintain a high demand for their product [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 08:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

To maintain a high demand for their product, the manufacturers first took over the marketing and sales functions previously performed by outside agents; next, they began changing their advertising campaigns monthly to keep pace with the rapid changes in consumers’ lives.

In this sentence, pronoun “they” correctly refers to “the manufactures” grammatically as well as logically.

Grammatical standpoint: In the first Independent clause, “the manufacturers” is at the subject position doing the action of “taking over”. This sentence uses semicolon which means it should be followed by another independent clause. In this second independent clause, “they” is at the same place as “the manufacturers” is, that is at the subject place. Hence, “they” correctly refers to “the manufacturers”.

Logical standpoint: a pronoun must have a logical antecedent as well. Here, “they” can only refer to “the manufacturers” because it only makes sense to say that the manufacturers started making changes in the advertising campaigns because in order to maintain a high demand for their product, they “first” did something and next only “they” took another step. Hence, logically “they” refers to “the manufacturers”. There is no ambiguity about the reference of they in this sentence.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 388
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: To maintain a high demand for their product [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 12:49
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

To maintain a high demand for their product, the manufacturers first took over the marketing and sales functions previously performed by outside agents; next, they began changing their advertising campaigns monthly to keep pace with the rapid changes in consumers’ lives.

In this sentence, pronoun “they” correctly refers to “the manufactures” grammatically as well as logically.

Grammatical standpoint: In the first Independent clause, “the manufacturers” is at the subject position doing the action of “taking over”. This sentence uses semicolon which means it should be followed by another independent clause. In this second independent clause, “they” is at the same place as “the manufacturers” is, that is at the subject place. Hence, “they” correctly refers to “the manufacturers”.

Logical standpoint: a pronoun must have a logical antecedent as well. Here, “they” can only refer to “the manufacturers” because it only makes sense to say that the manufacturers started making changes in the advertising campaigns because in order to maintain a high demand for their product, they “first” did something and next only “they” took another step. Hence, logically “they” refers to “the manufacturers”. There is no ambiguity about the reference of they in this sentence.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
@Shraddha, I understand that "they" is good in A, but I would like to know what makes C bad. It seems to be grammatically and logically correct as well. Isn't it?
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Re: To maintain a high demand for their product   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2013, 12:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
To maintain a high demand for their product, the GMATBLACKBELT 6 18 Dec 2007, 18:07
To maintain a high demand for their product, the vineetgupta 11 23 Jun 2007, 11:41
To maintain a high demand for their product, the arjsingh1976 8 21 Nov 2006, 19:57
To maintain a high demand for their product, the ecotopia 6 22 May 2006, 04:55
To maintain a high demand for their product, the banerjeea_98 9 28 Apr 2005, 11:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

To maintain a high demand for their product, the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.