Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To opt for Olin(WashU) or not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

To opt for Olin(WashU) or not [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 07:53
Hi,
I am an indian candidate,will complete 4 years of experience in August.I had applied for 4 colleges using my GRE score(1420) in Round 3. I applied to Kellogg,Cornell,Wisconsin,Olin(washington univ st louis). Kellogg rejected without interviewing me whereas i was interviewed by the rest.I had appeared for GMAT once and scored 620.
Finally i have received admit from Olin but was rejected by the remaining colleges.
Now,I am in a state of dilemma.Should i appear for GMAT,hope to score above 700 and then apply to better colleges or take up Olin?
My concern is that the top consulting companies do not recruit there.
Another reason for my dilemma is that after applying to these colleges,i won an international competition hosted by the economist and achieved other things that i havent put in my resume. Thus my inclination to apply for top ranked schools.Please throw some light on Olin as a school and its brand value.
Thanks for your time,
Shreeraj
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: To opt for Olin(WashU) or not [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 11:31
Expert's post
Olin is a good school--certainly within the top 50 of around 400 MBA programs in the US, but indeed as you identify, if you want to land a job with a top consulting firm, it would be easier from a top 20 b-school. Easier, perhaps, from elsewhere, but not impossible to achieve from Olin. Your GRE score is around a 700 equivalent GMAT, so I wonder why your actual GMAT is coming in lower? Having said that, there's not a reason why you couldn't try again this year in earlier rounds with your GRE. I think third round may have been what did you in. Third round is tough for any applicant because at that point, the b-school incoming class is largely complete, leaving very few seats for third round applicants. Plus, at that point you are not only competing against other third round applicants, who are already (generally) very well qualifiied (lots of folks, being scared by 3rd round simply don't apply, leaving only top applicants), but also you are competing against everyone on the WAITLIST who have been sitting there trying to get a coveted seat for one, two or more rounds. Check for schools in the top 20 for which you think you have a good cultural and academic fit, and see if any offer early admission options, which tend to be a little more lenient in the application process. You might also consider getting some consulting help to analyze and see where in your application you could improve for next year.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: To opt for Olin(WashU) or not [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 11:36
Thanks for your reply.Actually,my GRE score will expire this july and thus i will need to appear for GMAT.I have been studying since i didn't expect an admit so late in the application cycle.If i do opt to stay back,when will be the right time to appear for GMAT and apply for Round 1.

Thanks,
Shreeraj
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: To opt for Olin(WashU) or not [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 05:40
Expert's post
It's never too early to get the GMAT or GRE out of the way (yes most schools now will accept the GRE, so if you are more comfortable with that, check with your target schools to make sure they will accept it). GMAT scores are good for five years, so there is no risk in your case in knocking it out early. If you do, you will be happy you saved so much time for your application. HBS for example, has already released its 2012-2013 application package, and most others will be out by July at the latest. You have the advantage also of possibly putting in for some "early application" deadlines, which at some top schools means they give you preferential treatment in the process if you are willing to commit early to going there. Let us know if you need help pulling it all together.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews