Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To past applicants: what were your interviews like?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

To past applicants: what were your interviews like? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 06:58
This question is put towards current students or at least past applicants who were interviewed.

I am applying to management programs. I would like to know if there is anything technical that is discussed in the interviews. Are the Profs going to ask if we have read any journals or articles or try to find out what current knowledge we already have? Or is the interview mainly to find out what kind of personality we have and our true motivations for obtaining a Ph.D.?

I would truly appreciate any information on this since at this point I'm not really ready for any questions too specific on my intended field of study.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 07:52
did any school contacted you about an interview or is this just a general question?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 08:03
Just a general question, last year schools started contacting the last week of January. So best to be prepared instead of sounding stupid during an interview which is probably my biggest fear right now except for being denied by all schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 08:21
i had long time ago a phd inteview (which was successful, but at the end i didn't go there... it was not in business though)...

- a general background warm up questions (about 3-4 minutes...).
- questions dealing with why phd in general and what i'm interested in doing (3-4 minutes as well)
- closing on my interests... what made me look at this direction, what do i know about it... including a very specific question "did you read XYZ book?" which i had to answer i have never heard of it.
- hypothetical questions about possible research. mainly methodological questions... "how would you search for....", "why do you think it'll work"... and the killer question "what would you do if you don't find anything..."
- back to nice and general topics... "why ABC school?", "general career goals"...

i guess that every interviewer will have his/her own agenda... but that's what i had and it seems generic (and frightening) enough.
at least this time i'm ready with all the right methodological answers :)

good luck...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 08:48
Refer to this discussion for last year intake. There are some descriptions of the i/v. From what I can recall from other discussions, most schools seemed to ask quite general questions to confirm your passion or plans. A few asked quite specific questions.

I guess unless you paint yourself as an expert in field of interest in your essays and CV, I think most of the i/v shouldn't zoom in to the very specific. But if it does happen, the policy would be "don't smoke or act smart".

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 08:51
hobbit wrote:
did any school contacted you about an interview or is this just a general question?

ah.... i see that the question has triggered an alarm... :lol:

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

[#permalink] 08 Jan 2007, 08:51