Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To persuade consumers to buy its personal computers for home

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

To persuade consumers to buy its personal computers for home [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 07:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

40% (02:28) correct 60% (01:23) wrong based on 44 sessions
To persuade consumers to buy its personal computers for home use, SuperComp has enlisted computer dealers
in shopping centers to sell its product and launched a major advertising campaign that has already increased
public awareness of the SuperComp bran. Despite the fact that these dealers achieved dramatically increased
sales of computers last month, however, analysts doubt that the marketing plan is brining Super Comp the
desired success.
Which of the following, if true, best supports the claim that the analysts’ doubt is well founded?
(A) In market surveys, few respondents who had been exposed to SuperComp’s advertising campaign said they
thought there was no point in owning a home computer.
(B) People who own a home computer often buy a second such computer, but only rarely do people buy a third
computer.
(C) SuperComp’s dealers also sell other brands of computers that are very similar to SuperComp’s but less
expensive and that afford the dealers a significantly higher markup.
(D) The dealers who were chosen to sell SuperComp’s computers were selected in part because their stores
are located in shopping centers that attract relatively wealthy shoppers.
(E) Computer-industry analysts believed before the SuperComp campaign began that most consumers who
already owned home computers were not yet ready to replace them.

oa after discussion , please post your timing too

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: 791 cr [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 11:09
[highlight]sales of these dealers surged[/highlight] last month but analysts [highlight]doubt that the marketing plan is brining Super Comp the desired success.[/highlight]

altough "D" is tempting but "C" fullfill the requirement.

SuperComp’s dealers also sell other brands of computers that are very similar to SuperComp’s but less
expensive and that afford the [highlight]dealers a significantly higher markup.[/highlight]
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: 791 cr [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 13:54
+1 C

Dealers will prefer to sell the computers which provide them a higher markup. Buyers will prefer cheaper and similar computers.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: 791 cr [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 21:05
i will post the OA after some more discussion .

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: 791 cr [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 21:48
C clearly gives the reason how the dealers achiever increase in sales.

C is clean.

1 min

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Director
Director

Re: 791 cr [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 22:37
C is the OA , i managed this in 2:12 min , my timing stinks with CR . need to do something about that soon.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: 791 cr [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 22:49
My two cents -

Considering that you have been frequent to the GMAT club forum and have answered good number of questions in SC,CR and RC forums already -

Ill suggest --

1. Take a time bound practice session for CR and see how many correct answers you get.Once you are able to stick with your accuracy,then start decreasing the time limit for each CR and speed up.

2. Figure out which kind of CR troubles you the most and have a random stab through of those CR's quite frequently. This will boost your confidence overall for CR's and hence improve your timing.

Don't be too hard on yourself --Its expectations Vs a Reality check that always keeps things in perspective.

Good luck with your preparations.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: 791 cr [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 10:19
patanahi wrote:
[highlight]sales of these dealers surged[/highlight] last month but analysts [highlight]doubt that the marketing plan is brining Super Comp the desired success.[/highlight]

altough "D" is tempting but "C" fullfill the requirement.

SuperComp’s dealers also sell other brands of computers that are very similar to SuperComp’s but less
expensive and that afford the [highlight]dealers a significantly higher markup.[/highlight]

Guys I have some observations regarding this CR question. I am a bit confused so I will try to explain my logic as clear as possible:

The question asks:
“Which of the following, if true, best supports the claim that the analysts’ doubt is well founded?”

So I started looking for the analyst’s claim:
“Despite the fact that these dealers achieved dramatically increased sales of computers last month, however, analysts doubt that the marketing plan is brining Super Comp the desired success.”

So Whats the marketing plan?:
“SuperComp has enlisted computer dealers in shopping centers to sell its product and launched a major advertising campaign that has already increased public awareness of the SuperComp brand”

So the way I see the argument is like these:
SuperComp wants more sales. How? SuperComp’s marketing strategy: enlist dealers + advertising campaign. Doubt: Marketing plan is not working and it is not responsible for the increase in sales.

The OG answer: C
(C) SuperComp’s dealers also sell other brands of computers that are very similar to SuperComp’s but less expensive and that afford the dealers a significantly higher markup.
The problem with this answer is that it negates the possibility that the increase in sales is because an increase in sales in the “similar brand PC’s” AND "SuperComp’s PC’s".

On the other hand, (A):
“A) In market surveys, few respondents who had been exposed to SuperComp’s advertising campaign said they thought there was no point in owning a home computer.”
Answer A demonstrates that the “major advertising campaign” had no effect on few respondants (Maybe potential costumers), yeah its a weak point but I still think that this answer should be better than (C).

Please HELP!!!!

PS: Sorry for my bad english.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 7

Re: To persuade consumers to buy its personal computers for home [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 03:18
C

Because Success of Dealer and SuperComp is not aligned with each other' success.

In this case, although Dealers are successful, Option C properly explains why it doesn't transfer in the success of SuperComp initiative.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: To persuade consumers to buy its personal computers for home   [#permalink] 19 May 2012, 03:18