Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 09:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To prevent harbor porpoises from getting tangled in its nets

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

To prevent harbor porpoises from getting tangled in its nets [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (02:02) correct 22% (00:52) wrong based on 119 sessions
To prevent harbor porpoises from getting tangled in its nets and suffocating, a fishing company installed acoustic alarms on all its boats that fish in waters off Massachusetts. The sound emitted temporarily disorients the porpoises and frightens them away. Since the installation of the alarms, the average number of porpoises caught in the company's nets has dropped from eight to one per month. The alarms, therefore, are saving the lives of harbor porpoises in those waters.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The use of acoustic alarms increases the number of commercial fish caught by the fishing company's boats.

B. When disoriented, harbor porpoises are not significantly more likely to be killed by other boats.

C. Environmentalists advocate the use of acoustic alarms as a means of protecting the harbor porpoise population.

D. The alarms were installed at the time of year when harbor porpoises are most plentiful in the Massachusetts waters.

E. The cost of installing acoustic alarms on fishing boats is less than the cost of repairing nets damaged by harbor porpoises.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Help, please, with assumption question!!! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 07:35
HELP!
Can you explain me answers B and D?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Help, please, with assumption question!!! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 13:12
commandos1985 wrote:
HELP!
Can you explain me answers B and D?

B is correct because it addresses the issue of alarm saving lives.

D might serve as an explanation for why the company has caught less of porpoises, but does not address the saving their lives part.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 31

Re: Help, please, with assumption question!!! [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 02:00
Except B rest options are just irrelevant

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Help, please, with assumption question!!! [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 02:47
Plz give more explanations.........still not clear why not D.......

Doesn't saved from being suffocated means aved from being killed.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 25

Re: Help, please, with assumption question!!! [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 22:56
This post received
KUDOS
I doubt if this is a text from GMAT.
I feel comfortable to assume that such a question is a creation of GMAT Tutors/ Private Organizations that prepare these questions for students benefit.

If this is infact a GMAT question, i expect it to be more precise as in option B.
There is an ambiguity here, other boats?? -- what are other boats?? -- 1)other boats of the same company or 2)other boats of different company that did not install the alarms??

Depending on the above, i would go with D if 1, i.e the other boats are mentioned as bpats of the same company, bcoz in such a case, B looses its importance as the average is already mentioned down to 1 from 8, so D is better as it supports the facts with its info.

But if other boats mean boats of other companies, I would go with B........ again if it says that other boats have no alarms installed on it.

This is my opinion, and if there are any experts around here, please thrash me if you feel my reasoning is wrong.
VP
VP
Followers: 188

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: To prevent harbor porpoises from getting tangled in its nets [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 22:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: To prevent harbor porpoises from getting tangled in its nets [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 10:23
The right choice would be "B" and here's why:
When the option says "other boats" it definitely mean boats of other organizations which have not installed alarms, since the porpoises would scatter away and even if some of the "other" boats were of the same organization they would have alarms installed again scattering them away.. but now the ones which don't have such alarms would cause a problem.
Re: To prevent harbor porpoises from getting tangled in its nets   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2014, 10:23