Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To prevent overcrowding, last month the town zoning board

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

To prevent overcrowding, last month the town zoning board [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 06:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
To prevent overcrowding, last month the town zoning board limited the number of new buildings that can be constructed in the town in any given year. The board claims that doing so will preserve open spaces and lessen the strain on municipal resources such as schools and garbage disposal. Critics of the changes argue that the plan will harm the community or, at the very least, will fail in its purpose.

Which of the following most supports the claims of the critics of the plan?
A) Other towns have had mixed success with similar zoning plans.
B) No new schools have been built in the town in ten years.
C) Property taxes in the town are higher than in neighboring towns.
D) Under the new plan, developers may still erect apartment buildings.
E) The nearest garbage dump is several miles away from the town.

Guys, need ur help!!! I have 2 strong answers to this question - C) and D)...

I can understand why D is correct... It's crystal clear

But, I can't prove why C is wrong... IMHO, C is right too bcos it attacks the zoning board's premise (The premise is to limit no. of new buildings in order to save the town's resources)... So, if we turn the situation around and state that if the town limits the no. of new buildings, the town's revenue in terms of property tax would decrease ----> diminishing the very precious resources that the zoning board is trying to protect... Wouldn't this be enough to weaken the board's stand?
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 106

Re: Zoning Board - GMAT Manhattan [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 06:46
I think you misinterpreted the word 'resources' in this case.

First, the plan is to prevent overcrowding.

strain on municipal resources such as schools and garbage disposal ==> strain is not financial but the capacity (overcrowding/over-usage)
Now if you see C is irrelevant.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Zoning Board - GMAT Manhattan [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 07:21
Hmm, I seem to see it a bit clearer now.

That means that resources in this context is not in financial form...

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 22

Re: Zoning Board - GMAT Manhattan [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 17:47
cialit0506 wrote:
But, I can't prove why C is wrong... IMHO, C is right too bcos it attacks the zoning board's premise (The premise is to limit no. of new buildings in order to save the town's resources)... So, if we turn the situation around and state that if the town limits the no. of new buildings, the town's revenue in terms of property tax would decrease ----> diminishing the very precious resources that the zoning board is trying to protect... Wouldn't this be enough to weaken the board's stand?

Your reasoning is correct, but the question is to support critics' claim, and the critics' claim is that at the very least, it will fail in its purpose, and the purpose is preserve open spaces and lessen the strain on municipal resources such as schools and garbage disposal the purpose is not about earning property tax revenues... hope this helps..
Re: Zoning Board - GMAT Manhattan   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2009, 17:47