Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To protect certain fledgling industries, the government of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

To protect certain fledgling industries, the government of [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 11:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (02:28) correct 23% (01:35) wrong based on 455 sessions
To protect certain fledgling industries, the government of country Z banned imports of the types of products those industries were starting to make. As a direct result, the cost of those products to the buyers, several export-dependent industries in Z, went up, sharply limiting the ability of those industries to compete effectively in their export markets.

Which of the following can be most properly inferred from the passage about the products whose importation was banned?

A. Those products had been cheaper to import than they were to make within country Zs fledgling industries.

B. Those products were ones that country Z was hoping to export in its turn, once the fledgling industries matured.

C. Those products used to be imported from just those countries to which country Zs exports went.

D. Those products had become more and more expensive to import, which resulted in aforeign trade deficit just before the ban.

E. Those products used to be imported in very small quantities, but they were essential tocountry Zs economy.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [4] , given: 32

Re: CR - fledging industries [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
A. See explanation next to each answer...

mbawaters wrote:
To protect certain fledgling industries, the government of country Z banned imports of the types of products those industries were starting to make. As a direct result, the cost of those products to the buyers, several export-dependent industries in Z, went up, sharply limiting the ability of those industries to compete effectively in their export markets.

Which of the following can be most properly inferred from the passage about the products whose importation was banned?

A. Those products had been cheaper to import than they were to make within country Zs fledgling industries.
If this were not true, then the effect on the exporting industries would not have been so severe, and the ban would not have even been necessary. If this is untrue, then products that would be imported would be more expensive, and the domestic products would be cheaper. Those industries using the product in manufacturing would use the domestic products and the fledgling industries wouldn't be fledgling, they'd be the supplier for other industries already. Answer has to be A.
B. Those products were ones that country Z was hoping to export in its turn, once the fledgling industries matured.
This is not supported. The stem talks about several export-dependent industries, but that does not mean these particular products were intended for export.
C. Those products used to be imported from just those countries to which country Zs exports went.
This goes beyond the stem. The stem says "export markets", it does not say anything about where the exports from Z went.
D. Those products had become more and more expensive to import, which resulted in aforeign trade deficit just before the ban.
Way beyond anything stated in the stem. No one said anything about the products expense becoming higher. The only thing stated was that the country created ban on those imports used by other industries exporting their end product which used the now-banned product in manufacturing.
E. Those products used to be imported in very small quantities, but they were essential tocountry Zs economy.
Never says this.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: CR - fledging industries [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 05:57
I know this has been discussed a million times. Even I got this correct. But M just a little skeptical that are we not being asked to infer too much here. Are we not required to limit our answer selection in inference question only to the information in the premises presented in the passage ?

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - fledging industries [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 07:34
choice A gives the reason / hidden assumption behind the cost going up due to the ban posed on the import of such products.

A it is.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 46

Re: CR - fledging industries [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
mbawaters wrote:

answer to the question 1

I would go for A.

the question tells that in order to protect the domestic industries . the govt banned imports. which implies that import products were cheaper than domestic products, otherwise why will be the goverment try to protect the fledgling industries. . thus once these imports are stopped naturally the cost to the buyer/expoters will be high in the doemstic market.

A clearly brings this out.

now Question no 2 from the same passage
Which of the following conclusions about country Z’s adversely affected export-dependent industries is best supported by the passage?

(A) Profit margins in those industries were not high enough to absorb the rise in costs mentioned above.

(B) Those industries had to contend with the fact that other countries banned imports from country Z.

(C) Those industries succeeded in expanding the domestic market for their products.

(D) Steps to offset rising materials costs by decreasing labor costs were taken in those industries.

(E) Those industries started to move into export markets that they had previously judged unprofitable.

please post your replies........

WarLocK

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: To protect certain fledgling industries, the government of [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 08:43
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: To protect certain fledgling industries, the government of   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2014, 08:43