Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To push back or not to push back???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

To push back or not to push back??? [#permalink] New post 08 May 2005, 09:42
So, my experience thus far in GMAT land is a fairly short, yet steep road...i initially thought i could study for about 6 weeks or so and come close the the 680 or so that i need to get into Anderson. But was quickly disturbed by my cold turkey OG and PR CAT test scores. Basically all in the 520 - 560 range. After 3 weeks of studying, I feel somewhat better, but haven't seen the improvement in my test scores.

I realize after reading the posts on this site i've been going about it all wrong...focusing on PR and Kaplan...haven't even opened the OG. I thought I could study for around 5-6 weeks and prepare enough to get a 700, but am quickly finding that not be the case. I only have 2 1/2 weeks left to study before my test and am now considering rescheduling.

However, i've talked to several friends and they said not to reschedule and look at my first GMAT test almost as a kind of "practice test" knowing that it will help to prep me for my "real" 2nd test. I know that people get "lucky" on test day and see questions that favor them, but if my goal is to get at least a 680...and i'm scoring ~580-620 on the PowerPrep tests pre-test day...should i go through with it or should i just reschedule when i know that i'm more prepared?

Rgds,
J
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 May 2005, 15:11
I would go ahead and take the test as scheduled. Delaying the test once could lead to a series of delays.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 May 2005, 19:29
I would go with Hjort too....2 weeks is enough time to complete OG...if i may add further...i would concentrate entirely on OG....but don't forget to make sure you understand your mistakes and remember them so as not to repeat them....

as your frns say...the first test can be a dry run for you...you might loose the fear of the actual thing and hence perform better in the latter editions....Plus...GMAT has it's own surprizes...some of them pleasant...so why not give it a try...

cheers!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 16:59
personally i think it also depends on your financial situation. the gmat is not cheap!

i find myself in a very similar situation as you. i definitely underestimated the dificulty of the test. i initially was going to take it in june -- now i've pushed it back to august.

good luck, whatever you choose to do!
  [#permalink] 02 Jun 2005, 16:59