Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To retake or not...?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

To retake or not...? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 01:17
Hello,

I recently decided to apply for business school instead of graduate school, and I'm stuck in a dilemma here with my GMAT score. I took the GMAT last week after 2 weeks of studying (with 80% of the efforts going into Verbal) and got a 750 (98%ile) with a 47/47 split right now the middle. However, the 47Q only got me a 70%ile. I'm only applying to Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton-Lauder (MBA/MA), and due to certain circumstances I must apply in round 1. Having said that, the latest I can retake is probably the last week of August, which gives me about 3 weeks to focus my efforts on Quant if I decide to retake. I'll only be using online resources and 5 practice exams that I haven't done yet.

Here's some other information that some might find useful to consider:
- 3.81 GPA from Stony Brook University, double-major in Biochemistry, Psychology, minor in Philosophy. Unfortunately, practically no math classes since I was placed out with AP scores.
- 3 years work experience, but none that involved doing things with numbers.

My biggest concern stems from reading that Wharton wants to see quantitative abilities from either undergrad coursework, GMAT, or work experience, and right now I have none of the three. I'm not sure if Harvard and Stanford pay equal attention to this, but I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 716 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: To retake or not...? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 01:22
MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: To retake or not...? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 03:19
Suspect spending time on essays will be more useful now. Can also explain how you mean to ensure you can the maths for business school.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Operations (Retail Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 3

Re: To retake or not...? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 18:04
Here's my $0.02:

You have a great score. I agree that Q47 is not ideal, but I don't know if re-taking is the best choice for you. Your choice ultimately rests on your answer to this question: Was the V47 a fluke, or is that truly your level? I'm not doubting you, but I'm just saying that if your Q goes up to 49, but your V falls to, say, 42, you're you-know-what outta luck. On the other hand, if you are fairly certain that V45+ is attainable for you on a re-take, go right ahead!

The crux of the matter is this: nobody wants to get a lower score the second time around, and a 750 retake may trigger "weirdo" red flags in the mind of the adcom (after all, 99.99% of people would gladly take the 750 and run).

In short - if you feel that your V performance can and will be repeated on the retake, go for it. If there's any doubt in your mind, stay away and focus on the rest of your apps.

I hope it helps. Either way, you sound smart and self-aware, so I'm sure you'll do well for yourself. Best of luck!
Re: To retake or not...?   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2013, 18:04