Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Personally, and this is just me.... with a 4.0 GPA on an alternate transcript and a 710 GPA, I wouldn't retake it. The 4.0 will speak more to your current abilities than the 2.9 will, and it makes for a good argument that you can handle a more demanding and rigorous curriculum than that of your current school. Unless you have plenty of time on your hands, id sooner focus on essays.

Plus, I agree with Pelihu, schools seem to gobble up the "You and the Navy. Full Speed Ahead"/"Its not just a job, its an adventure" backgrounds.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't really know what to make of that 4.0 GPA. Is that a degree program, or is it something else? If those are regular courses, rather than some sore of continuing education seminar, then that would help.

Regarding your wife, you didn't mention her GPA, but that Stanford gives her a huge leg up compared to you (sorry, just stating the facts again). I know all about the grade inflation there, I went to one of the tough-grading big State U's in California (UCLA), but it doesn't matter. The fact that Stanford undergrad is super-ultra-selective means that her degree will weigh heavily.

That said, I agree with Rhyme that you are in range right now. My thought is that it's still early in the summer, and you have time. A 750 may help your application and it also might help you get some cash from some of these schools too, and it will look good on your resume when you go into recruiting (these points have been discussed extensively elsewhere). The military angle is extremely helpful. You're right that UVA is very military friendly. If you guys decide to visit, drop me a message. I'm starting there in the fall.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the input guys.

It is a 30 credit hour degree program (10 courses). Its pretty much the finance portion of an MBA. I have 3 courses completed. I just put it on hold after the first summer session b/c I didn't want to get too deep into the degree.

Pelihu

I do like your point about retaking the gmat for possible scholarships...although, I am not sure I have a shot at those scholarships.

You are right about the wife. Only thing she really has against her is her age (24) and not too much leadership. She also has taken the GMAT and so we don't know where she will fall out there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
With a 710 you can spend the time working on other things to make your application great, without trying to increase the three character number.

Once above 700, it doesn't really count for much difference as to whether you would get in or not. Scholarships? Maybe. Counteracting a low GPA? Maybe. But add to a solid application - I don't really think it does that much.

Time better spent working on essays that on sentence correction.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Unless you can increase it by +30 its probably not worth it. A school would look at a 10-20 point increase as just you tested slightly better not that you really improved drastically enough. If you can get it to a 750 it would surely help but then again what if you do 20 points less or stay the same.

Coming from a military background helps, especially if you have a rare job in the military like fighter pilot, helicopter pilot, navy seal, navy nuc, personal assistant to some 3 star admiral..something that shows leadership and provides very interesting stories and a unique background. Military also helps since it is clear if you are advancing at a quick, normal, or below average pace. Schools will have an idea of whether you should be a LTJG, LT, or LT commander at your age. So if 90% of the people with your years in are a LTJG and you are a full LT then it shows you are an exceptional leader. However, it would probably work the otherway if you are still an ensign.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Unfortunately, I am not coming from a "glamorous" job. However, I have had much more leadership experience with the my past jobs than most of the jobs you mentioned. Believe it or not, pilots leadership positions don't really come until the LCDR level(10 years). Especially, the fighter guys.

One more thing, in the Navy every ENS is promoted to LTJG at exactly the 2 year point. LTJGs are promoted to LTs at the 4 year mark. Less than 1% don't make the LTJG or LT level usually due to misconduct.

LCDR comes around the 10 year mark and it really is the first oppurtunity to get promoted early. That said, most LCDRs don't get out. They have already spent 10 years in, so they figure they are halfway to retirement.

The ones that do get out, are forced out.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
navy01 wrote:
Unfortunately, I am not coming from a "glamorous" job. However, I have had much more leadership experience with the my past jobs than most of the jobs you mentioned. Believe it or not, pilots leadership positions don't really come until the LCDR level(10 years). Especially, the fighter guys.

One more thing, in the Navy every ENS is promoted to LTJG at exactly the 2 year point. LTJGs are promoted to LTs at the 4 year mark. Less than 1% don't make the LTJG or LT level usually due to misconduct.

LCDR comes around the 10 year mark and it really is the first oppurtunity to get promoted early. That said, most LCDRs don't get out. They have already spent 10 years in, so they figure they are halfway to retirement.

The ones that do get out, are forced out.

Yea but did the LCDR LTJG or LT make it ENS before the QB ended up DO'd on the TO cause of the TRO she got against him?

I have no idea :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]