Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To rewrite or not to rewrite

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

To rewrite or not to rewrite [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 02:46
Hi

I'm faced with a dilemma right now as the subject header suggests. I wrote the Gmat 3 years ago without having done much prep and scored a disappointing 660. I did the GmatPrep tests this week and scored a 700 and 750.

I'm currently applying to INSEAD, HBS, Ivey, Oxford and Cambridge. Do you think it would be worthwhile to rewrite the test, or should I just go ahead and send the applications?

I'm fairly confident with my leadership and international experience and I think I posess a demographical advantage.

Thanks for your help!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: To rewrite or not to rewrite [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 11:08
hosam wrote:
Hi

I'm faced with a dilemma right now as the subject header suggests. I wrote the Gmat 3 years ago without having done much prep and scored a disappointing 660. I did the GmatPrep tests this week and scored a 700 and 750.

I'm currently applying to INSEAD, HBS, Ivey, Oxford and Cambridge. Do you think it would be worthwhile to rewrite the test, or should I just go ahead and send the applications?

I'm fairly confident with my leadership and international experience and I think I posess a demographical advantage.

Thanks for your help!!

Hosam,

You don't need to retake the GMAT for Ivey, Oxford, or Cambridge, but if you want a serious shot at INSEAD and HBS you might want to retake. Unless your demographic advantage places you in the following three categories--Native American, Hispanic American, African American--then your profile may not be enough to compensate for your 660 at HBS and INSEAD, schools where even seemingly "perfect" applicants (with 700+ GMATs) get dinged all the time.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 11:27
Thanks for the advice Paul. I'll be rewriting this week in that case.

I guess being from an Arab demographic doesn't give me as much advantage as I thought it would. :)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 11:40
hosam wrote:
Thanks for the advice Paul. I'll be rewriting this week in that case.

I guess being from an Arab demographic doesn't give me as much advantage as I thought it would. :)

Hosam,

Being from an Arab demographic is IMO a positive for you. That is, it does not increase your admissions odds as much as being Native American, African American, or Hispanic American does, but it is more of advantage to you then being from India, for example, or China or the United States. I am talking about adding to the diversity of your class -- because schools receive fewer applicants from Middle Eastern countries than they do from U.S., India, Europe, and China, you are a more valuable "commodity." I also believe that the current geopolitical issues involving the Middle East motivate U.S. schools to demonstrate that they are in fact open to applicants from that part of the world.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter