Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To suit the needs of corporate clients, advertising agencies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
To suit the needs of corporate clients, advertising agencies [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 15:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

20% (03:53) correct 80% (02:25) wrong based on 11 sessions
To suit the needs of corporate clients, advertising agencies have successfully modified a strategy originally developed for political campaigns. This strategy aims to provide clients with free publicity and air time by designing an advertising campaign that is controversial, thus drawing prime-time media coverage and evoking public comment by officials.
The Statements above, if true, most seriously undermine which one of the following assertions?
(A) The usefulness of an advertising campaign is based solely on the degree to which the campaign's advertisements persuade their audiences.
(B) Only a small percentage of eligible voters admit to being influenced by advertising campaigns in deciding how to vote.
(C) Campaign managers have transformed political campaigns by making increasing use of strategies borrowed from corporate advertising campaigns.
(D) Corporations are typically more concerned with maintaining public recognition of the corporate name than with enhancing goodwill toward the corporation.
(E) Advertising agencies that specialize in campaigns for corporate clients are not usually chosen for political campaigns.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: To suit the needs of corporate clients [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 15:42
To suit the needs of corporate clients, advertising agencies have successfully modified a strategy originally developed for political campaigns. This strategy aims to provide clients with free publicity and air time by designing an advertising campaign that is controversial, thus drawing prime-time media coverage and evoking public comment by officials.
The Statements above, if true, most seriously undermine which one of the following assertions?
[color=#00BF00](A) The usefulness of an advertising campaign is based solely on the degree to which the campaign's advertisements persuade their audiences.[/color] Not solely but also recognition matters
(B) Only a small percentage of eligible voters admit to being influenced by advertising campaigns in deciding how to vote. irrelevant
(C) Campaign managers have transformed political campaigns by making increasing use of strategies borrowed from corporate advertising campaigns. no true
(D) Corporations are typically more concerned with maintaining public recognition of the corporate name than with enhancing goodwill toward the corporation. not undermine but strenghten
(E) Advertising agencies that specialize in campaigns for corporate clients are not usually chosen for political campaigns.irrelevant

What's OA?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: To suit the needs of corporate clients [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 00:28
The advertising agencies make the campaign become controversial. However, choice A states that the success of campaign based on the persuasiveness, so the argument weakens choice A

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: To suit the needs of corporate clients [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 04:16
tuanquang269 wrote:
The advertising agencies make the campaign become controversial. However, choice A states that the success of campaign based on the persuasiveness, so the argument weakens choice A
Guys, I have another question apart from the OA here.
The current question stem is (slightly different than normally):

If it would have been normal and commonly used question stem like:
Which of the statements below, if true, most seriously undermine the question stem?

Then which choices stand a chance?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: To suit the needs of corporate clients [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 22:30
joshnsit wrote:
tuanquang269 wrote:

Which of the statements below, if true, most seriously undermine the question stem?

In the original question, the argument will weaken the assertion in 5 choices below. This question is from the LSAT, and its weaken type is reversed.

The conclusion of argument is "To suit the needs of corporate clients". When you change question in the right weaken type for GMAT format, the choice should weaken this conclusion, and I feel that 5 choices in original question are not used to reversed question.

Hope that helps

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: To suit the needs of corporate clients [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 05:10
tuanquang269 wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
tuanquang269 wrote:

In the original question, the argument will weaken the assertion in 5 choices below. This question is from the LSAT, and its weaken type is reversed.

The conclusion of argument is "To suit the needs of corporate clients". When you change question in the right weaken type for GMAT format, the choice should weaken this conclusion, and I feel that 5 choices in original question are not used to reversed question.

Hope that helps
Guys, Thx for discussion. OA is A.

@tuanquang269, I felt that both A and B would become choices in common traditional GMAT types weakening questions where choices are considered true and Main stimulus comes under suspicion. But, I am not sure which one would have become stronger weakening choice between A and B.

Re: To suit the needs of corporate clients   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2012, 05:10