Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Weakenx         
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [10]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
PM Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: To suit the needs of corporate clients, advertising agencies have [#permalink]
This is a strange question. It resembles the Inference question because it asks to use the information in the prompt to undermine one of the five options... So, is this a Weaken or Inference question?

I might be wrong, but I have never seen a similar GMAT problem.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: To suit the needs of corporate clients, advertising agencies have [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mykrasovski wrote:
This is a strange question. It resembles the Inference question because it asks to use the information in the prompt to undermine one of the five options... So, is this a Weaken or Inference question?

I might be wrong, but I have never seen a similar GMAT problem.

So first thing to note here: this appears to be an LSAT question, so I wouldn't take this as a particularly representative example of GMAT CR questions. That said, the GMAT does sometimes play around with the form, so being prepared for something like this isn't a bad idea.

This is a weird question because, like an inference question, we are drawing a conclusion — the stimulus is entirely made of premises, and the answer choices are all conclusions. However, unlike an inference question (where the correct conclusion must be 100% true given the premises), the correct conclusion is meant to be false: the premises should not lead to the conclusion. We can almost think of an inference question as a reverse strengthen, whereas this question is a reverse weaken.

So it doesn't fit nicely into one of the classic question type boxes that we normally see. This, again, is likely because it isn't a GMAT problem, but if you did see something like this on test day, I would be prepared to bring elements of both Inference and Weaken to the table.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618752 [1]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nightblade354 wrote:
To suit the needs of corporate clients, advertising agencies have successfully modified a strategy originally developed for political campaigns. This strategy aims to provide clients with free publicity and air time by designing an advertising campaign that is controversial, thus drawing prime-time media coverage and evoking public comment by officials.

The Statements above, if true, most seriously undermine which one of the following assertions?

(A) The usefulness of an advertising campaign is based solely on the degree to which the campaigns advertisements persuade their audiences

(B) Only a small percentage of eligible voters admit to being influenced by advertising campaigns in deciding how to vote

(C) Campaign managers have transformed political campaigns by making increasing use of strategies borrowed from corporate advertising campaigns

(D) Corporations are typically more concerned with maintaining public recognition of the corporate name than with enhancing goodwill toward the corporation

(E) Advertising agencies that specialize in campaigns for corporate clients are not usually chosen for political campaigns., advertising agencies have successfully modified a strategy originally developed for political campaigns

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

(A) Yes. The point of the passage is that advertising that develops name recognition—even negative recognition—can be effective.

(B) No. The voters may be influenced by advertising campaigns without realizing it or admitting it.

(C) No. The passage states that strategies for corporate advertising have been borrowed from political campaigns, not the other way around.

(D) No. The statements actually support this conclusion since the strategy is concerned with developing name recognition (positive or negative), and it has been applied.

(E) No. This is independent of the statements in the passage.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts