Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To take notes, or not?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 7

To take notes, or not? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 03:22
I've read in several posts that some people take notes while reading GMAT prep books/studying. Is it a good idea to do it? Also, it's obvious that putting down every strategy/formula etc. isn't a wise thing to do. So what notes would you suggest to take?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Babson (A), Smith (D)
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.85
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: To take notes, or not? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 03:37
Hi nonameee,

I'm have been member of this GMAT CLUB for moment now. As far as I see, you build your own study plan and then go thorugh it. However there are lots of post and blog that suggest the best possible way to solve a particular section (PS/DS/RC/SC/CR). And I personally believe finetuning to suit your needs is the best. At the end what matters is the result and how you get the question correct (either by doing mentally or by writing it down and then solving it).

Coming to your noting of concepts, that does really help if you could make a POST ITS and every day you can go through few concepts in remembering the formulas to solve a problem as quickly as you can. For Verbal, practice, practice and practive, no alternative.

Please browse through the blogs and post, you will find loads of contents on how to prepare efficiently and diligently as possible.

All the best for your GMAT.

Sandeep
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: To take notes, or not? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 05:41
well note taking is extra work and i tried it but ended up referencing the book anyway so didn't work out the way i wanted. But at a minimum you should try do some sort of error log - i didnt do a full blown one but i tried to do one i felt comfortable with.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: To take notes, or not? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 16:18
I find it helpful to take notes on things that are new to me, or things that do not make sense.

I also do the exercises in the chapter as I read.

I don't take notes on things that make sense to me as I read, or that I already know.

Taking too detailed notes makes it take painfully long to get through the chapter.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 7

Re: To take notes, or not? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 07:06
Guys, thanks for your answers. Hope that more will be coming.
Re: To take notes, or not?   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2010, 07:06