Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To use tricks or not to use tricks.....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

To use tricks or not to use tricks..... [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 15:57
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

So I have been studying over the last couple of weeks, so far I went through the entire PR book. This weekend, I decided to complete some of the OG 11 math questions...they are def trickier then the PR questions.

To get to the point, PR has imbedded the use of plugging in etc, for Algebra like questions and other questions. So everytime i see questions where I could possibly use a trick, its the first thing i think off, but more often than not, it seems that I may be better off just to solve the question. From your experiences, If I am aiming for a 700 score, is it better to just focus on learning how solve these questions the proper way or do tricks still help at that level??

I appreciate the feedback!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [1] , given: 210

Re: To use tricks or not to use tricks..... [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 16:22
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Victor - the PR is not the book for you if you are aiming at 700+. It is common knowledge in the forum that the following books are the best to prepare for a very high score :
-OGs (Orange, Green, blue)
-Manhattan GMAT series (esp Sentence correction, but eight in the series are pretty good - these also come with six free -GMAT cats which are rated very highly)
-LSAT prep books (for really tough CR and RCs)
-Gmatclub tests (for really tough quant prepwork)
-Rest (including Kaplan, PR, Barrons, etc.).

Victor81 wrote:
Hello,

So I have been studying over the last couple of weeks, so far I went through the entire PR book. This weekend, I decided to complete some of the OG 11 math questions...they are def trickier then the PR questions.

To get to the point, PR has imbedded the use of plugging in etc, for Algebra like questions and other questions. So everytime i see questions where I could possibly use a trick, its the first thing i think off, but more often than not, it seems that I may be better off just to solve the question. From your experiences, If I am aiming for a 700 score, is it better to just focus on learning how solve these questions the proper way or do tricks still help at that level??

I appreciate the feedback!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: To use tricks or not to use tricks..... [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 16:33
Thx..just using PR to get my feet wet..that being said do you advise for or against tricks?
also when you say Manhattan...do you mean "Review" or "Gmat"...i bought the math and verbal "Manhattan Review" series, are those considered advanced? I am probably asking questions that have been asked many times before, for that I apologize...i am a rookie what can i say :-D

thx again.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: To use tricks or not to use tricks..... [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 17:02
Victor - the "tricks" as PR likes to call it are mostly common sense. Take a gmatclub challenge and you'll soon realise that most of those tricks wont take you as far as understanding the fundamental concepts will.

By Manhattan I mean the Manhattan GMAT series of 8 books : http://www.amazon.com/Sentence-Correcti ... 406&sr=8-1 These are considered the best out there for understanding the fundamentals.

I haven't used Manhattan Review, but I've heard that they just ride on Manhattan GMATs good name.

Victor81 wrote:
Thx..just using PR to get my feet wet..that being said do you advise for or against tricks?
also when you say Manhattan...do you mean "Review" or "Gmat"...i bought the math and verbal "Manhattan Review" series, are those considered advanced? I am probably asking questions that have been asked many times before, for that I apologize...i am a rookie what can i say :-D

thx again.
Re: To use tricks or not to use tricks.....   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2008, 17:02