Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To wait or not to wait... that is the question...

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

To wait or not to wait... that is the question... [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 08:45
Hi All,

So I recently took the GMAT and got a dismal score of 460. I am now looking to retake the GMAT in mid-January to make the Round II deadlines, however, realistically I am not sure if I can significantly raise my GMAT score between now and then.

As such, I am juggling with idea of waiting to apply to b-school until next year and study for the gmat and ideally take it sometime in May and hopefully get a better score. Also, that would allow me to apply for Round I instead of Round II.

The schools I am looking to apply to are as follows: NYU, Yale, Georgetown, Hopkins, Baruch, and maybe a few others.

In terms of my background, I had a 3.3 GPA for my undergrad and upon graduation, I was in the Peace Corps in West Africa, worked in Egypt on a USAID-project, worked in Yemen at an Arabic Language School, and now work at UNICEF.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 58
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: To wait or not to wait... that is the question... [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 09:09
David, apart from the GMAT, your profile seems very competitive. Let me lay out the strengths:

worked in Africa? check
worked in the Middle East? check
worked in "volatile" regions? check
worked in the Peace Corps (HBS and Stanford love this, btw!)? check
worked in international global-level diplomacy/similar stuff? check
decent GPA that doesn't need explaining? check

Of course, I know nothing about your age, ethnicity, nationality, background, but based on what I see, you're competitive at schools ABOVE the range you're shooting for - I've seen people with profiles like this at HBS and Stanford, for Christ's sake!

Other than the GMAT part. I'd strongly recommend retaking it to push it above a 680ish score somehow (maybe even 700+), and reapplying next year. Don't sell yourself short in your hurry to get to bschool. Candidates who comes from international policy/diplomacy backgrounds are often a little older, so a year won't make too much of a difference.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 22
Location: Gurgaon, India
Schools: Insead, Ross, Kellogg, Tepper, Tuck, ISB
WE 1: 3.5 years I.T
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: To wait or not to wait... that is the question... [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 09:15
cant agree more with ANTMBA . Get close to 700 and with ur profile ull rock man :-D
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: To wait or not to wait... that is the question... [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 09:26
Well that is downright encouraging! :) I didn't even consider applying the top top schools like Harvard or Wharton, but based on what was said, it seems like my background is competitive enough to do that. Not sure, if this would help strengthen my application more, but I speak 5 languages besides English (Arabic, French, Spanish, Italian, Mandinka), all of which I learned from the age of 19 on. In terms of my nationality, I am an American white guy.

So I guess it's decided. I will focus on the GMAT for the next few months, hopefully score close at or around a 700, and apply for Round I.
:)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 58
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: To wait or not to wait... that is the question... [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 09:30
You can add that to the list of things that schools love - 5 languages! If that isn't indicative of strong analytical skills (assuming you make the argument that learning a language is a very analytical process), I don't know what is!

So yes:
work on the GMAT
put together a compelling story about what you did and where you want to go
choose recommenders who will champion your cause and will be coachable
reach out to student groups that align with your past and your future plans, to find people similar to you in terms of background; talk to them about how they laid out their essays and stories

Good luck!
Current Student
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 169
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: To wait or not to wait... that is the question... [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 10:34
.

Last edited by globalcitizen on 25 Jan 2011, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 04 Nov 2010
Posts: 230
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: To wait or not to wait... that is the question... [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 12:07
you have a very interesting profile: I encourage you to focus on your gmat, and don't be afraid of applying where you would like to go.
Cheers
_________________

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: To wait or not to wait... that is the question... [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 12:52
Wow! Thanks for the encouragement. I was actually thinking about the Harvard Kennedy school. Doing a joint MPP/MBA would be a good idea.

Are there are other schools that might seem like a good fit based on my background? This application process can be very arduous; there are so many schools to choose from!

Thanks!
Dave
Current Student
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 169
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: To wait or not to wait... that is the question... [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 13:27
l
Re: To wait or not to wait... that is the question...   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2010, 13:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Are questions about the Challenge supposed to wait until the hilairity 1 22 Dec 2004, 14:04
Popular new posts Waiting... uphillclimb 10 09 Jan 2008, 11:42
Moved topic To wait or not to wait... that is the question... davide261982 8 10 Dec 2010, 08:45
New posts Wait List Question mrwuzzman 2 16 Feb 2011, 14:08
Popular new posts To wait or not to wait? MU2011CPA 12 05 Jul 2011, 06:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

To wait or not to wait... that is the question...

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.