Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity [#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 14:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

34% (01:44) correct 66% (00:59) wrong based on 67 sessions
Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

a. among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted
b. among hunter-gatherer societies, and those persisting
c. among hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting
d. between hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted
e. between hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 05 Jun 2013, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1498
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Anthropologists [#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 16:02
Vithal wrote:
Will choose E
vithal, what is your reason behind E. pls explain. because of this century?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Posts: 854
Location: Hyderabad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Anthropologists [#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 16:26
MA wrote:
Vithal wrote:
Will choose E
vithal, what is your reason behind E. pls explain. because of this century?


IMO, none of the choices looks correct!

here is the twisted logic (which could in all probability be incorrect)

(i) between vs among - I chose between as we are comparing two scocities
(ii) was trying to look for parallelism (realize that...and that)

but I guess those in E does not have any antecedent - will change my answer to D based on this - but I would still say that all the options are poorly constructed
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 93
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 16:34
Got to go with E.


I also chose "between" as we are just comparing two things here.

So choices are D or E.

In D: "and those that have persisted" does not work with the verb "had"

the sentence. You wouldn't say that those that have persisted had been changed. (This is wordy and awkward).

You would say that those persisting had been changed.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Anthropologists [#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 16:39
Vithal wrote:
but I would still say that all the options are poorly constructed

Vithal, Get used to these kind of questions - this one is from a retired ETS paper test
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1498
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Anthropologists [#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 16:42
Vithal wrote:
MA wrote:
Vithal wrote:
Will choose E
vithal, what is your reason behind E. pls explain. because of this century?

IMO, none of the choices looks correct!
here is the twisted logic (which could in all probability be incorrect)
(i) between vs among - I chose between as we are comparing two scocities
(ii) was trying to look for parallelism (realize that...and that)
but I guess those in E does not have any antecedent - will change my answer to D based on this - but I would still say that all the options are poorly constructed


i noted that, a parallel construction, too and D too has that.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 16:45
I think it is (C).
Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

Two dependent clause are parallel. Also note that their tenses are different.

Both (D) and (E) are wrong.
(D): between hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

After seeing portion in red and blue, immediately we should deduce that something is missing.

(E): between: Improper comparison
between hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Posts: 854
Location: Hyderabad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 19:50
jpv wrote:
I think it is (C).
Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

Two dependent clause are parallel. Also note that their tenses are different.

Both (D) and (E) are wrong.
(D): between hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

After seeing portion in red and blue, immediately we should deduce that something is missing.

(E): between: Improper comparison
between hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting


jpv: can you tell what is the antecedent of those in the clause
after and that ?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Posts: 854
Location: Hyderabad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2005, 05:36
jpv wrote:
Vithal wrote:
jpv: can you tell what is the antecedent of those in the clause
after and that ?


those -> hunter gathering societies.


Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples

main clause + dependent clause1 + conjuction + dependent clause2

my questions is whether pronoun in DC2 can refer to a noun in DC1?

IMO those does not clearly refer to the hunter-gathering societies.
the sentence should stand without any one of the parallel elements.

For eg: He called the meeting to inform the employees about the loss and to get their feedback on the new proposal.

Do you think the above sentence is correct?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2005, 09:49
Vithal wrote:
For eg: He called the meeting to inform the employees about the loss and to get their feedback on the new proposal.

Do you think the above sentence is correct?


I dont know about grammatical aspect but I will accept the above sentence because it is unambiguous. "their" clearly refers to "employees".
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Posts: 854
Location: Hyderabad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2005, 10:01
jpv wrote:
Vithal wrote:
For eg: He called the meeting to inform the employees about the loss and to get their feedback on the new proposal.

Do you think the above sentence is correct?


I dont know about grammatical aspect but I will accept the above sentence because it is unambiguous. "their" clearly refers to "employees".


How about the following sentence then?
The supervisors called the meeting to inform the employees and the contractors about the loss and to get their feedback on the new proposal.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2005, 10:14
Vithal wrote:
How about the following sentence then?
The supervisors called the meeting to inform the employees and the contractors about the loss and to get their feedback on the new proposal.


I think this is wrong.
I/you can call for a meeting to take either ur opinion or my opinion.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2005
Posts: 167
Location: Atlanta , GA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2005, 11:47
Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

a. among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted
b. among hunter-gatherer societies, and those persisting
c. among hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting
d. between hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted
e. between hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting


hunter-gatherer society is being compared with all other societies but others have been grouped together so comparison is between two.

I choose "between" -> eliminated a/b/c

to refer to other societies as a group , it should be that those not those that.

so my answer is 'E'
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 551
Location: Canuckland
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2005, 11:56
D. I used the golden GMAT rule here - avoid ing forms at any costs
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 101
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2005, 23:11
I would go for C.


As the two clauses are parallel. so Anthropologist realize that there is diversity among societies and that those(societies) persisting into this century..../

OA Please....
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 674
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2005, 04:18
I think it is A.

Among sounds good though we cannot refute if there are only 2 societies.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 92
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2005, 04:42
another one for C. parallel construction (that) is there and there are definitely more than 2 of those societies (among)
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5253
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2005, 06:22
Good question. After rereading it several times over with D and E, E is the only choice that maintains a smooth flow to the sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2003
Posts: 265
Location: sydney
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2005, 08:36
C.
reasons
1. stem is comparing several societies that is why "among " is used.
2. parallalism.

Today anthropologists realize
that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and
that those persisting into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.
_________________

When u r about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 459
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2005, 09:11
after reading the question once again, I believe OA should be C.

Parallel: realized that... and that

also, "Persisting" is used properly here to indicate on going action.
  [#permalink] 16 May 2005, 09:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Culturally and politically diverse nations – France, Great B MasterOogway 3 11 Jun 2014, 22:05
a great day today Tiemsnik 9 05 Dec 2011, 22:36
Great! gmatmilitary 0 16 Oct 2007, 02:10
GREAT EVENT: 2008 Diversity Conference at Wharton Campus ColumbiaDream 2 15 Sep 2007, 10:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 35 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.