Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal! [#permalink] New post 26 May 2009, 18:58
went from a 670 to a 620.

Im greatly disappointed. I can't really pin point where I went wrong, I simply did far worse than I was doing during my practice sessions.

A little bit about me vs. the gmat... im hoping to go to a top 20 u.s. school (i.e. want a 700+gmat). Im from a science background. canadian, english mother tongue. very average student, never top of my class or anything like that, 3.0 on a 4.3 gpa scale.

The first time writing this test I used mgmat sc guide, og 11, mgmat practice tests. I focused heavily on verbal based on the errors I was making in my practices. Since I come from a science background and figured I would be pretty strong in quant and would not be able to improve in quant as much as I could on the verbal portion. My split was 44Q/38V, 70th and 83rd percentile respectfully which was consistent with my practice tests of ~660, 650. I was happy with this mark and it more than suffices for any canadian university.

After coming across this website I realized that there is a lot more to this test than I thought and a lot more to an mba than i thought. Thank you gmatclub. I decided to give this test another try and i decided I want to attend a u.s. mba program. I realized coming from a science background in no way guarantees success in the quant section. For most people (excluding genius'), to be successful on this test requires lots and lots and lots of work. During this study session I focused heavily on math, bought some mgmat math guides, gmatclub tests. I learnt a lot and realized that I could improve my quant score. Redid the gmatpreps in the last week and scored a 710 and a 690, did an mgmat cat and scored a 670 but left 2 questions blank in math. Had a 47 in quant every single time. Its not like I was repeating the same tests over and over, I recognized the 1st question off a gmatprep but thats it, so I think these scores are indicative of my abilities. So D-day was today, went in there feeling confident and just did not perform.

So here I am now. I think in combination with choking, I also didnt review my notes well at all. My math knowledge was up, but my gmat skills got rusty. After putting in so much effort, and becoming slightly obsessed with this test I realize I have to write again. I cannot accept anything less than my best performance on this test. Im not looking forward to the next month but never the less, the plan of action is gmat club like crazy, manhat sc like crazy, last 100 problems of og sections and hit up some of the sets of a 1000. Most importantly REVIEW every night my notes and mistakes. Ill hit up some practice tests in the last 2-1.5 weeks prior to my test. start with a couple of mgmat cats, then do the gmatpreps. then I plan to kill this test and perhaps burn my notes in celebration.

Im gonna book an appointment midway through my studies, it seems that all the afternoon spots are taken now, but many people postpone them closer to their actual test date. Ill book for 1st week of july. Otherwise id have to wait till end of july for an afternoon spot.

Id be happy to hear some advice from the pro's out there. Maybe grab the purple and green books? i dunno, i already have so much material, maybe not necessary? Hopefully Ill be able to join the applying 2010 thread in a month or so. Best of luck to all writers and rewriters and rerewriters.

millhouse.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1983

Kudos [?]: 6414 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal! [#permalink] New post 27 May 2009, 10:55
Expert's post
Wow Millhouse,

You went the other way! I guess it is a slap into GMAC's face when they say that GMAT is a reliable measure of one's performance. Your score is anything but ordinary.
Your practice scores indicate that you should have gotten a much higher score (high 600's or low 700's). I wonder what went wrong? Perhaps a silly mistake in the first 10 questions?

A few questions for you:
What was your split this time?

How long ago since your 670 score?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal! [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 12:39
Millhouse, keep positive. Focus on improving verbal; incremental points in V will help if you are already scoring high in Q. PM if you want some tips. (Unfortunately, Q is my weakness, so can't help you there).
Intern
Intern

Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal! [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 21:34
thanks for the feedback/motivation, i will put it to good use.
Intern
Intern

Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal!/ [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 20:02
update on my progress...

so ive been on a steady diet of og 11 and gclub tests, done 500q's and 10 tests respectfully. Ive built a crazy detailed error log. Redoing all these problems will be a great review of all my weaknesses, and will also cement any fundamentals that need upkeep. Im hoping this is the part that will really refine the skills needed to perform my best.

ive been reading like crazy, gone through about 1500 pages of gmat fiction. It has been really enjoyable and i think this has somehow improved my cr/rc's. So read folks! read! at the very least, you will enjoy a great book and benefit from a certain familiarity with words that comes when you expose yourself to high quality grammar.

I just bought gmat focus. Did one test and my expected range is 44-49. The questions were great. The test is only 24 q's though. I got 11 right and 13 wrong which seems like a small sample to base this on, so I hope their confidence interval remains true. I would highly recommend it for people who have exhausted other resources. save em for near test date obviously...

Next week-week and a half will be devoted to reviewing and doing problems from my error log/reviewing my notes/2 more gmat focus'/2 gmat preps for stamina, then finally write this test for the very last time either the 13th or 15th.

At the end of this, assuming this week goes well, I can at the very least say I gave it my all.

Good studies clubbers,
millhouse
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1983

Kudos [?]: 6414 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal! [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 21:23
Expert's post
Good progress - keep it up!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal! [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 22:27
Good going.
Hey, what about your AWA ?

My Blog - http://followingmydream.wordpress.com/
My GMAT story - done-with-gmat-finally-scored-81966.html

Intern
Intern

Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 04:39
waiwai wrote:
Good going.
Hey, what about your AWA ?

i scored a 6 the first time and a 5.5 the second time. Im a native english speaker, and a decent writer, so this is a not a focus in my study plan other than as a a stamina factor. if you have any further questions about it, id be happy to answer.

millhouse.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal!/ [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 04:31
millhouse wrote:

I just bought gmat focus. Did one test and my expected range is 44-49. The questions were great. The test is only 24 q's though. I got 11 right and 13 wrong which seems like a small sample to base this on, so I hope their confidence interval remains true. I would highly recommend it for people who have exhausted other resources. save em for near test date obviously...

millhouse

So getting 11/24 gets a 44-49 range ?Am i reading it correctly?

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Schools: Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 9

Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal! [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 06:30
Keep your chin up mate!
Intern
Intern

Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal! [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 20:58
robertrdzak wrote:
Keep your chin up mate!

thanks for the support!

snipertrader wrote:
millhouse wrote:

millhouse

So getting 11/24 gets a 44-49 range ?Am i reading it correctly?

That is correct.
When I reviewed the test, I made some silly mistakes on easy questions but answered the most difficult questions correctly.
Specifically, 3 or 4 probability questions were given and i got them all right. I think that explains it.
Intern
Intern

Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 13:36
update: 670 to 620 to 630.
44/38, 42/34, 46/31 apparently my study plan is great for consistently decreasing your verbal scores.
gmat prep 2 yesterday 700
gmat prep 1 monday 690

im going to apply anyway and hope for the best.

the glutton for punishment in me is thinking of doing a heavy verbal review and rewriting in august while completing apps.

was it my best performance? i felt pretty good once i finished. apparently the outcome was not as good as the performance felt.
thanks for the support along the way, and good luck to all future applicants.
Re: today i choked- went from 670 to 620, brutal!   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2009, 13:36