Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
11 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 60 [11] , given: 35

TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 01:09
This post received
KUDOS
Today, I received my toefl scores. Happy to see 100 on my scorecard. (Trust me, It's huge achievement for an average guy like me)

Honestly, I prepared just for 2 days. Thanks to GMATCLUB, coz I didn't have to waste my time searching on Google for prep materials.
I knew I can score good in reading and writing, my main concern was of listening and speaking section. So I went through the format and structure of the questions and, trust me, that helped a lot.

1st Feb'13 (First day):
I devoted my 75% of the day for Listening and 25% for Reading.
Listening: I attempted 30 listening questions(15 conversations and 15 lectures) from http://www.english-test.net/toefl/listening/ and was quite comfortable then with the listening section, as it gave me pretty good insights on what to jot down and what not to, and what kinds of questions to anticipate.
Reading: As I am preparing for GMAT, by the time I started preparing for TOEFL I had solved approximately 100 passages. But I didn't know what type of questions and how long passage would be in the toefl. So I had to prepare for toefl reading section in order to get familiar with structure. so I attempted 4 reading tests from http://www.examenglish.com/TOEFL/toefl_reading.htm , One thing I would like to mention here is that don't ever read entire passage in one go, as Toefl questions are pretty straight forward and are asked in sequence with paragraph. e.g. 1st question will be on 1st para, 2nd on 2nd para and so on...and the last question would ask you to summarize the passage. So read question first and then read the corresponding para and mark the answer.

2nd Feb 2013(2nd Day)
I knew speaking can ruin my score so decided to give 80% of the day to speaking section preparation and 20% to writing preparation.
Speaking: At first, I went through all the videos of speaking and writing section <use this link toefl-instructional-videos-speaking-writing-very-useful-100611.html>, this gave me idea about type of questions and about how to prepare for the answer in 15-20 seconds. After every speaking question video, I tried 5 questions of the same type from this site < http://www.eng1on1.com/ibt.php?test=1 >.
I used following templates for speaking and writing section templates-tfl-94210.html
Writing:I didn't prepare much for this section. I took two random questions of each type and attempted them with proper time limit. The above writing videos and writing template helped me a lot. closed everything and slept at 11:00pm.

3rd Feb 2013(Judgment day)
Woke up at 7:30am, got ready and by 9:00am I left for the exam center. Midway I had heavy breakfast (exam was of 4 hrs, so I had to make sure that I don't feel hungry). 9:30 was the reporting time, I reached there by 9:45am. After all the document procedures at 10am, I entered into the exam hall and everybody had tested their mics and started with reading section. (if you are reading and everybody else is testing their mic, It's very hard to concentrate on reading. As I was late, I was the last one to test the mic). Reading went like breeze, faced no disturbance. Listening also went well until I reached last 2 lectures, as all the people have started their speaking section already making me difficult to concentrate (I was late, I had to pay somewhere).

10 Mins break.(I didn't leave my seat, instead I wrote down the templates I prepared for speaking section.)

Speaking section went OK. I felt independent tasks to be more difficult than integrated tasks. I tried to avoid hmm, umm and gaps while speaking. I was not quite happy with the way Speaking section went, but kept up my spirit saying I'll cover my score in writing.
In writing section, both tasks were very easy, used templates and tried to write down as much as I can. In integrated task I wrote down about 350 words and in independent task I wrote down about 450 words. and was the last person to leave the exam hall.

Well, English speaking can't be learned in just two days, so In the end, I was quite satisfied with the way exam went.
I roughly judged my performance and expected 20 in speaking, and at least 25 in each other sections. total of at least 95 (20+25+25+25).

12th Feb 2013 (Today)
I received my scores for Toefl. here they are:
Reading:28(Expected)
Listening:23 (Lowest of them all...it's disappointing, but remembering that I had to struggle with last two tasks, it was expected)
Speaking:24 (Happy happy, can't ask for more)
Writing:25 (Expected)

total: 100/120.. :done

TOEFL mission accomplished..:):)..Should anyone need any help, feel free to post.

Don't give up on yourself ever. Period.
Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

Last edited by daviesj on 14 Mar 2013, 09:03, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 18:15
Hello, I am final year student of Bsc. Hons. physics. My TOEFL test is scheduled on 2nd of March 2013. Are 15 days sufficient for Toefl preparation for me, as i am not preparing for GMAT exam. I need atleast 80 marks to get admission in germany colleges.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 35

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 03:57
rajat116 wrote:
Hello, I am final year student of Bsc. Hons. physics. My TOEFL test is scheduled on 2nd of March 2013. Are 15 days sufficient for Toefl preparation for me, as i am not preparing for GMAT exam. I need atleast 80 marks to get admission in germany colleges.

Hey Rajat, Depends on how much proficiency you have on English...In order to gauge that, give one sample toefl test from ETS software. Well, in ETS software you can get score of only reading and listening section, you can get your writing section scored from this forum and get speaking section rated from your friends. That way you will get to know about your level of expertise in each section. Try to concentrate more on weak areas than on strong areas. If you score well above 20 in each section then there is no reason to worry. If you score <=20, try to focus more on that section. Don't worry, Prepare till you can. Try to achieve more than 100, that way you'll land up with at least 90+.

P.S. Don't worry if you are not preparing for GMAT, the toefl reading section is way more easy than Gmat reading section.

Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

Last edited by daviesj on 24 Mar 2013, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 01:20
Hi ! Very good debrief, thank you :)
I will probably follow your study plan as I don't have much time to prepare. How would you evaluate your level of english ? I can talk to native speakers and understand speach and articles in english without many problems but I have troubles to realize what it takes to reach 100... What do you think ?
Manager
Manager

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 10:30
Without wasting much time give one practice toefl test from ETS software or Kaplan (Kaplan's test is harder but more realistic), that way you will get to know how much you need to prepare. Identify the weak areas and work on them, just as I did. Speaking is crucial part, trust me 15 secs is very less time to prepare... prepare your own speaking templates and practice on those templates... Key to this exam is structure... if u know the structure properly, u'll definitely score 100+.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 12:16
Hi daviesj, Thanks for detailed info. Your link "templates for speaking and writing section -tfl-94210.html" is not working.
Can you please provide correct link or the template doc?

Thanks
Avin
Manager
Manager

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 10:27
I guess the topic's got deleted. I'll see if I have those templates saved.If yes, then i'll surely post'em.

Intern
Intern

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 18:26
Hey, I want to thank you for providing this helpful information. Currently, I am applying for Master in Management program at Imperial College London, and I need at least 100 on my toefl exam.
I reviewed your materials for 5 days and did two practice exam.
Here is my score:
Reading: 27
Listening: 27
Speaking: 26
Writing: 26
Total : 106
W/o this material, I wouldn't have score over 100.
Thanks!!
Zach
Manager
Manager

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 06:15
Glad to know...;)

Posted from my mobile device Image

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 07:33
Buddy,

My exam was due on 1st December, and you won't believe that I started preparing only on the eve of my exam, which is on the 30th of November. I just googled this exactly: "What should I do to get 100/120 on Toefl in the last day". I clicked the first link (which I guess was yours) and read your review on Toefl. You are my saviour. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have scored my marks. You're the best. The page that you posted and the tips that you personally shared were amazing. I'll definitely share this link with all of my friends. I expected exactly your marks, but I got much more than I asked. Here are my marks:

Reading: 29
Listening: 26
Speaking: 30
Writing: 28

TOTAL: 113 (Couldn't have been much happier :-D )

Without your help I couldn't have crossed 100. Thank you very much,
Anish Christo

P.S. : I signed in to GMAT Club only to reply to your post and thank you for your support.
Neeley Thread Master
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 06:01
anishchristo96 wrote:
Buddy,

My exam was due on 1st December, and you won't believe that I started preparing only on the eve of my exam, which is on the 30th of November. I just googled this exactly: "What should I do to get 100/120 on Toefl in the last day". I clicked the first link (which I guess was yours) and read your review on Toefl. You are my saviour. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have scored my marks. You're the best. The page that you posted and the tips that you personally shared were amazing. I'll definitely share this link with all of my friends. I expected exactly your marks, but I got much more than I asked. Here are my marks:

Anish Christo

P.S. : I signed in to GMAT Club only to reply to your post and thank you for your support.

Hey Anish - Congrats !

Are you a non-native, If yes, then you're a super-hero :)

I'm worried about the Speaking and Writing section, could you share the level of difficulty of topics asked in the exam. Were they weird ? Any tips.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 16:03
Congrats buddy, happy for you..All da very best for GMAT.. Cheers!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

anishchristo96 wrote:
Buddy,

Anish Christo

Intern
Intern

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 21:57
Hi friend,
my name is ravikumar ,i am so much worried about Toefl exam ,can u give me suggestions how to prepare for this exam in 30 days ,because i can understand english but my english is very low level what books are preferable and all the things plz explain and help me .....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 05:03
Gian wrote:
anishchristo96 wrote:
Buddy,

Anish Christo

Hey Anish - Congrats !

Are you a non-native, If yes, then you're a super-hero :)

I'm worried about the Speaking and Writing section, could you share the level of difficulty of topics asked in the exam. Were they weird ? Any tips.

Thanks.

Gian,

In my opinion, the only way for doing the speaking successfully is to be calm. Before the session started (as daviesj said) I started writing all the templates and did not leave the hall. I just closed my eye and tried to focus on my breath (tats because I am really scared of speaking in public, especially without "umm"s and "err"s.) Another thing that I noticed was the headset that they provided was not easily adjustable in case of the mic. So I manually held the mic very close to my mouth and tested myself of the clarity and loudness (which I did before the test started).

Apart from the technical flaws that I had, the questions were rather normal ( not too hard nor too easy, nor weird ). The independent were a piece of cake. The integrated was quite understandable as the question was about 'the necessity of demolishment of an old building in the campus' and canteen disorders. But actually its the independent task that needs more practice than integrated ones. There was one thing that I did which I thought was a major fail. Towards completion of the task (IN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM), the time was over before I could say "...that's why I did/chose this thing" . So what I thought they would've heard was "that's why I did th". That should be avoided at any cause.

Whats even more hilarious is that for writing, after completing my essay, I noticed that I had added 3 non-sense letters( :shock: ) that I have no idea how they appeared. This would be how I did it:

"(Blah blah blah) So that's why I (whatever) this.pua" {and for the second task there was an ' I ' after the period } That was quite shitty.

For writing, I got a bizarre topic that I couldn't expand. It had to do sometin abt teachers undergoing a periodical training to UPDATE their knowledge abt the topics and also teaching skills. Daviesj told me to write all that I could, so I used examples from my own life that never even happened 8-) . Its not like they're gonna come home and ask me if its true.

So...

Writing:
I) whatever crap that u write for de essay, TAKE 1 WHOLE MINUTE (not more, and definitely not less) FOR CHECKING YOUR ESSAY FROM THE LAST PARA , because tats where you'll probably make a typo error while typing fast in the end.
II) Maximise your word count ( I wrote abt 350 and 450 words and detailed example for both from my own life, which never happened but fitted with the topic) but do not paraphrase(quite opposite for speaking) and worse ,never repeat what you've already typed.
III) Title and conclusion sweeps it all. Form a very very strong template with high vocabulary for them that can serve for mostly any topic ( refer a thesaurus ).
IV) After you grab enough ideas from the passage or listening, split your essay into fragments, each having a crisp and unique say (again provide example for each).

Speaking:
I) please don't frikin scream in the mic ( it scared the shit out of me when the guy next to me was shouting ). Adjust your mic so that you can barely hear yourself but the mic should hear you loud and clear. But then again do what pleases u.
II) while taking notes, listen carefully and write down numbers and definitions which will definitely boost scores. I mentioned a lot of numbers.
II) Please paraphrase. Repeating definitions and illustrations (of course in the given time and fitting them in your templates) is very necessary if you need high scores.

These are all what I did exactly. If there's anything else, please feel free to ask. Glad to help.

Well, that being said, each of us will have our own communicative skills and flaws. The only way to figure it out is by speaking with some person with a good fluency in English (and the conversation should be two way...duh!) for about an hour.

Regards,
Anish Christo.
(NON-Native speaker from India)
Intern
Intern

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 15:04
thanks daviesj. can u please repost the template for the essay for your writing section?. It would be a great help.
thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 20:56
thanks daviesj. can u please repost the template for the essay for your writing section?. It would be a great help. Also the link to practice speaking is not working ...if you could post a link to practice speaking it would be great :)
thanks.

Last edited by mhannah on 20 Jan 2014, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 03:46
Motivational post, thansk for this.
Intern
Intern

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 06:13
Hi everyone!

I'm planning to take the TOEFL in 18 days. As you mentioned, Kaplan is a good source to test our level. It says I have and Advanced level being the scores listed as below:

Grammar: 28/30
Listening part 1: 7/7
Listening part 2: 5/8
Reading: 5/5

Could anyone who tried the Kaplan free English test tell me their scores and the score obtained at TOEFL?

Thank you in advance and thanks again for your feedbacks while preparing for TOEFL!!! It's being really helpful.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 07:55
Thank you for your debrief, I did the same and in only two days I got 100 :lol:
However, coming from a hard GMAT preparation, I got 30 in reading, 26 in listening, but only 23 and 21 in speaking and writing (without any specific preparation, not even for AWA).

Cheers! 8-)
Re: TOEFL 100, Prepared for 2 days!!   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2014, 07:55