Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TOEFL 111 - Few Observations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
TOEFL 111 - Few Observations [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 08:46
I got my TOEFL score today - 111.

Reading 29 Writing 30 Listening 28 Speaking 24.

Prepared 3 days using Official Guide - TOEFL and the videos/templates on this site - sticky thread. I was stumped by the test -the templates and videos came to my rescue. Thank you GMAT Club.

Basically gave one test figured out that speaking was my weakest section as is evident from my score. Spend the rest of the time practising the speaking section. I feel this is section you can practise if you want to prepare any longer - one or two weeks. I modifed the speaking templates as I was not able to finish the speaking section within time following all the points.

TOEFL has a fixed pattern so the templates can be used mostly without any worry - there may be 1-2 curveballs so be prepared to be flexible.

Though got 29 in Reading was surprised by the toughness-length of the passages. They were tough in comparision with the TOEFL tests on the CD. I would suggest to buy the TOEFL Online test that comes with the package or practise RC questions from the book. I donot know how I managed 29 was expecting 24. Maybe there is a relative grading.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 286

Re: TOEFL 111 - Few Observations [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 12:30
AbhiJ wrote:
I got my TOEFL score today - 111.

Reading 29 Writing 30 Listening 28 Speaking 24.

Prepared 3 days using Official Guide - TOEFL and the videos/templates on this site - sticky thread. I was stumped by the test -the templates and videos came to my rescue. Thank you GMAT Club.

Basically gave one test figured out that speaking was my weakest section as is evident from my score. Spend the rest of the time practising the speaking section. I feel this is section you can practise if you want to prepare any longer - one or two weeks. I modifed the speaking templates as I was not able to finish the speaking section within time following all the points.

TOEFL has a fixed pattern so the templates can be used mostly without any worry - there may be 1-2 curveballs so be prepared to be flexible.

Though got 29 in Reading was surprised by the toughness-length of the passages. They were tough in comparision with the TOEFL tests on the CD. I would suggest to buy the TOEFL Online test that comes with the package or practise RC questions from the book. I donot know how I managed 29 was expecting 24. Maybe there is a relative grading.

Congratulations! How did you find the speaking section? I've heard some people complain about the mike, and the background noise in the test centre. Did you have any such issues?

Net Impact's BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL Guide - a must-read!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

Re: TOEFL 111 - Few Observations [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 01:07
There was certainly some noise during the speaking section coming from the background. Nothing worrying though. You are wearing a mike listening to the questions so that decreases the noise somewhat. Raters take into account the background noise. Its a constant for everybody and people score 30 in the speaking section. You are asked to adjust the voice in the mike twice - so no worries here.
Still taking the online TOEFL test really prepares you for the User Interface of the actual TOEFL and hence would recommend that.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: TOEFL 111 - Few Observations   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2011, 01:07