Just got my TOEFL score from ETS:Reading
: 111Overall impression of the test:
If you studied for the GMAT already, and your verbal was OK, the TOEFL is very straight forward. I studied only for a few hours before the test using the ETS OG book. It is really all the material you need for all the parts of the test besides speaking. Testing center was noisy due to everyone speaking on the speaking section.Reading
Very straight forward. I messed it up a little, as I was too slow in the beginning, and ran out of time. The score was OK anyways, but I had perfect scores for my practice test, so I am not too satisfied. Just be quick, and you will be OK. Also, there are some question types that are not on the GMAT, so it pays off to familiarize oneself with them by doing the practice test on the ETS OG dvd.Listening
If you are accustomed to listening to English, this is relatively easy. Stay alert and take a lot of neatly structured notes!Speaking
I used the templates in the movies by Notefull:http://gmatclub.com/forum/toefl-instructional-videos-speaking-writing-very-useful-100611.html
They are superb. Just memorize the templates provided, and practice a couple of times. Speak loud and clear during the test. If you need more practice questions, check the link below.http://www.eng1on1.com/ibt.php?test=1Essays
For Essay 1, I used a template by triple 5 soul. Really good template! http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-84642.html
I used the Chinese burned template, the same as I used for my GMAT, for Essay 2. Its great, too. http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475General test taking tips
- Write down your speaking templates during the registration screen or pause screens. As djabhi on this forum mentioned, this will save you plenty of time, and make you more relaxed during the speaking section. Thanks djabhi for giving me this tip. It really helps a lot!
- Start the test last! The registration screen is not timed, so just sit back and relax while everyone else starts the test. The reason is simple: when everyone starts talking into their microphones, it is extremely distracting if you are trying to read a passage or write an essay. If you start the latest, you are the least troubled by this.
- Stay focused It is a long test. Bring some protein bars and ice coffees! At my test center, I could eat during the exam
- Bring ear plugs My test center did not provide them, and the center gets NOISY!
- Relax You will do better!
On a side note, you will probably get your results exactly 10 days after the exam at noon, Princeton, New Jersey time. I got my results on that exact time
All in all, I am not that satisfied with my score, as I know I could have done a lot better on the reading section, had I been quicker in the beginning. But then again; who cares? I scored high enough for any school in the world. Besides, I never have to think about TOEFL ever again
Time to dedicate all effort to my GMAT retake.
Good luck on your TOEFL!
If you found this post helpful, feel free to give kudos