Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
6 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [6] , given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 02:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Dear All,

I scored a 118/120 on the TOEFL iBT (2 points deducted from speaking section) and I thought I'd share some of my experience with you.

The test center was OK, the room was actually in the basement, but no windows meant no outside noise, which was certainly beneficial. I had about 20 people with me, the room was filled to about 3/4 of its capacity. Luckily, the computer station next to mine was unoccupied, so I only had to deal with the noise coming from other tables.

For preparation, I used the official guide, some additional speaking practice questions I found with google, the AWA writing template for the essays and the videos posted in this thread:
toefl-instructional-videos-speaking-writing-very-useful-100611.html

These are very helpful and definitely make your life easier.

As far as reading/listening/writing, unfortunately I cannot give you much advice since I'm a lawyer and I work a lot in English. Thus, I did not find the reading/listening/writing parts difficult at all (got a perfect score in each section), I just did the preparation to familiarize myself with the test format.

What I did find very useful though and might help others as well was for the dreaded speaking section.

Use the tips provided in the videos linked above, and practice these a lot. Obviously it can be very frustrating that a lot of people are talking around you during the exam and this can easily disrupt your concentration.

I practiced for this by switching on my TV, the radio, some web radio on my PC, and sat down in between these with my laptop to do my speaking practice (using a recorder and timer software). The important part is to choose channels like CNN, BBC etc. (not a music radio f.e.) because you want people talking all around you about various topics from as many different sources as possible. After a few hours of practice, I completely got used to all the blabbing going on around me, and could completely lock them out and focus on my speaking. This definitely helped a lot on exam day, I wasn't disturbed by the other exam takers at all. (I got the points deductions because I had to stop and completely rephrase one answer at midpoint, and ran out of time at another.)

I hope you can utilize this as well!

Best of luck to you and feel free to ask questions if you have any!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 04:32
congrats! thats an amazing score!

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 09:59
Hey, GPT55

First of all, many congratulations for your score in Toefl and GMAT. :)
I gave my GMAT yesterday and screwed it big time 600 (Q50,V23) :'(
Now I have my TOEFL on 25th August. I want to score good at least in this test. After that I will consider giving GMAT again, probably after 2-3 months of preparation.

I need lil help from you regarding TOEFL. I just checked that there are 2 editions of Official Guide for Toefl.
3rd edition: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-TO ... rd+edition
4th edition: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-TO ... rd+edition

I have 3rd edition with me. Do you know if there is any difference between the two?

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.86
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 10:57
That is top-notch man! Thank you for sharing your approach. I have a question if though, could you elaborate upon the Listening section of the test because I have problem with it, I got my score 1 month ago and it was (R29, L20, S24, W28) - as you see Listening is way down there. Could you give any tips? Usually, I understand the speech but when it comes to the questions I get bogged down...
Will appreciate any thoughts on this issue folks...

God loves the steadfast.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 00:10
Guys, I just got back from my vacation, I'll reply to your questions by tomorrow the latest!
Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 00:36
dexerash wrote:
Hey, GPT55

First of all, many congratulations for your score in Toefl and GMAT. :)
I gave my GMAT yesterday and screwed it big time 600 (Q50,V23) :'(
Now I have my TOEFL on 25th August. I want to score good at least in this test. After that I will consider giving GMAT again, probably after 2-3 months of preparation.

I need lil help from you regarding TOEFL. I just checked that there are 2 editions of Official Guide for Toefl.
3rd edition: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-TO ... rd+edition
4th edition: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-TO ... rd+edition

I have 3rd edition with me. Do you know if there is any difference between the two?

Hi dexerash,

I learned from the 3rd edition. I do not know anything about possible important differences between the two editions. It seems the new edition has three full length exams instead of two, and I'd guess it has some new questions in it as well but all in all I think you should be OK with the 3rd edition. It would be worth checking it with people who have both, or maybe the publisher itself, if you're really concerned about this.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

GPT
Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 00:38
Javoni wrote:
That is top-notch man! Thank you for sharing your approach. I have a question if though, could you elaborate upon the Listening section of the test because I have problem with it, I got my score 1 month ago and it was (R29, L20, S24, W28) - as you see Listening is way down there. Could you give any tips? Usually, I understand the speech but when it comes to the questions I get bogged down...

Hi Javoni,

I'll gladly help you, but please be more specific about your problems with Listening. You say you understand the speech but then still don't answer correctly. What's the exact problem? You can't remember the specifics from the speech the questions ask about? Do you misinterpret the speech or the question? Or something else?

GPT
Intern
Intern

Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 10:21
GPT55 wrote:
Javoni wrote:

Hi Javoni,

I'll gladly help you, but please be more specific about your problems with Listening. You say you understand the speech but then still don't answer correctly. What's the exact problem? You can't remember the specifics from the speech the questions ask about? Do you misinterpret the speech or the question? Or something else?

GPT

Hey GPT thanks for reply!

Here is how I handle the Listening section:

I listen and take notes simultaneously, however when it comes to answering the questions I don't use the notes that much...I think that is bad

Sometimes I don't remember answer to the question sometimes but more importantly, I think that I might misinterpret the idea of lectures....But generally speaking I understand what the lecturer is talking about when I listen...

Any ventures? What is wrong with me, how could I approach the section properly...I just want a well balanced score that is the point...

Thanks in advance bro and have a great time!

Javoni

God loves the steadfast.

Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 00:24
Javoni wrote:

I listen and take notes simultaneously, however when it comes to answering the questions I don't use the notes that much...I think that is bad

Sometimes I don't remember answer to the question sometimes but more importantly, I think that I might misinterpret the idea of lectures....But generally speaking I understand what the lecturer is talking about when I listen...

Any ventures? What is wrong with me, how could I approach the section properly...I just want a well balanced score that is the point...

Javoni

Ok, so if I understand correctly your main problem is with the "main idea" question types, and not the "remember a detail" ones. (See a good breakdown of question types here: http://www.englishclub.com/esl-exams/et ... tening.htm)

First of all, yes, taking notes and not using them is a problem. :) Especially since in my experience you should be taking notes of the main ideas and not details that might pop up in questions - you simply cannot note down every little detail.

You should google some practice questions (like those found in the link above), and if you are struggling with capturing main ideas and attitudes, I'd suggest you try to listen to various lectures and debates, such as lectures found on iTunes U, a political debate on TV, a report on some issue on TV/radio or basically anything that interests you. While doing so, practice taking notes of these things and at the end, try and summarize what you heard based on your notes: what was the debate/lecture about, what were the participants' main ideas, what was their attitude towards the issue etc.

I hope this helps. :)

GPT
Intern
Intern

Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 10:02
GPT55 wrote:
Javoni wrote:

Javoni

Ok, so if I understand correctly your main problem is with the "main idea" question types, and not the "remember a detail" ones. (See a good breakdown of question types here: http://www.englishclub.com/esl-exams/et ... tening.htm)

First of all, yes, taking notes and not using them is a problem. :) Especially since in my experience you should be taking notes of the main ideas and not details that might pop up in questions - you simply cannot note down every little detail.

You should google some practice questions (like those found in the link above), and if you are struggling with capturing main ideas and attitudes, I'd suggest you try to listen to various lectures and debates, such as lectures found on iTunes U, a political debate on TV, a report on some issue on TV/radio or basically anything that interests you. While doing so, practice taking notes of these things and at the end, try and summarize what you heard based on your notes: what was the debate/lecture about, what were the participants' main ideas, what was their attitude towards the issue etc.

I hope this helps. :)

GPT

Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate it and will definitely let you know how this approach is going to work out.
Cheers, and live strong buddy!

God loves the steadfast.

Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 01:04
Javoni wrote:
Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate it and will definitely let you know how this approach is going to work out.
Cheers, and live strong buddy!

No problem and good luck! ;)
Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2012, 01:04