Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TOEFL - Essay Writing Thread - Topic 1

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
TOEFL - Essay Writing Thread - Topic 1 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 01:19
This post received
KUDOS
Greetings to all future test takers!

I am writing Toefl on the coming Saturday and I have just started my preparation. I thought of an idea through which we can all improve our writing skills. Its pretty simple!

*Pls note that this activity only involves the 2nd Question (Independent Writing Task) of the writing section*

Myself or any other user will post a topic from TOEFL OG, and all future test takers will be invited to write essays on the SAME topic. It will be essential that everyone writes his or her essay under timed conditions (30 minutes only). All writers will then be expected to post their essays on the same thread. This way we will be able to gather quite a few essays on one topic. Besides, providing us with writing practice, this activity will allow us to read essays written by others and hence, give us an idea about some points that we may have missed in our own essay. Moreover, we will be able to critique other essays and provide suggestions to each another for score improvement. Ideally speaking, this should help improve everyone's score.

To summarize, following is the process:

1. Topic from OG posted on this thread.
2. All users are invited to write an essay in 30 minutes on the same topic and post it on this thread.
3. At the same time they can read and critique the essays posted by other users.

I will kick start the process by proposing the first topic from TOEFL OG:

Topic # 1:

Young people enjoy life more than older people do.

Do you agree or disagree with the statement above? Pls use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Everyone is invited to write an essay on this topic and post it here. Once again, pls ensure that you write the essay in under 30 minutes to help you simulate the actual exam conditions.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: TOEFL - Essay Writing Thread - Topic 1 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 01:21
My Essay in response to Topic # 1. It was written in 30 minutes. Total word count is 430!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young people enjoy life more than older people do

Some people believe that young people enjoy life more than older people do while others maintain that older individuals enjoy life more than younger ones do. The issue is a controversial one but a closer examination of the facts reveals that youngsters enjoy life more than older people do. The succeeding paragraphs will validate this point of view with reasons and relevant examples.

Firstly, most young people are physically fitter than older people. A lot of 'fun activities' require a certain degree of physical fitness and hence, young people are able to participate in such activities more frequently than older people. This in turn allows younger people to derive greater enjoyment from their life. For instance, most sports like football or rugby will generally be played by younger individuals. Older people tend to avoid such activities and hence, miss out on this source of enjoyment.

Secondly, it is widely believed that high risk activities such as bungee jumping are a major source of enjoyment for a lot of people. Many people describe them as a once in a life time experience and derive great pleasure not only from participating in but also by recalling such endeavors. Youngsters tend to participate more in such risky activities than older individuals do. This is because young people are more prone to risk taking. They have fewer commitments and responsibilities. Moreover, their immaturity or lack of experience does not afford them the sense to fully recognize the consequences of participating in such risky tasks. Consequently, they will participate in risky but extremely enjoyable activities more often. To substantiate this point, all one has to do is to examine the ages of customers of any sky diving vendor. It will not be surprising to discover that the majority of the customers will comprise of young individuals.

Finally, young individuals suffer from less stress or depression than older individuals do. Clearly, anyone who has a lot of worries or tensions will not be able to enjoy life properly. Moreover, it is a fact that older people suffer from clinical depression more than younger individuals. Maybe, it is because most young individuals have not experienced the harsh realities of life or they have not been entrusted with grave responsibilities. In any case young people tend to remain stress free more than older individuals and hence, enjoy life more as well.

In summary, while there are arguments to be made for both sides, it is evident from the reasons explained above that young people enjoy life more than older people do. Consequently, youngsters tend to be generally more happy and satisfied with their lives.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoping to see some more essays on this topic plus an evaluation of my essay. Thank you all!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: TOEFL - Essay Writing Thread - Topic 1 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 06:02
My contribution :

Some people think that young people have many reasons to enjoy life more than older people do. Other people believe that young people have fewer experiences in life than older people, and that therefore young people are not aware enough of how to enjoy life.
This issue is a controversial one, but a closer examination reveals that young people better appreciate life and are often happier that older people for several reasons.

One reason is that meeting people and making relationships are one of the most important ways to live experiences and then to enjoy life. This gives an important reason to explain why young people enjoy life more than older people do. In fact, young people have more free time than older people, and therefore can create more opportunities to meet new friends (travelling, going to parties, birthdays…). To illustrate, in almost 3 generations families, the grand parents have less friends than the parents, and the parents have less friends than the children. Consequently, the children live more experiences than their parents and grand parents.

Another reason is the importance of health for the happiness of everyone. Clearly, one can be the richer man or woman on Earth, if he or she suffers from a chronicle disease, money or whatever else can not create joy. Since statistics show that old people suffer more diseases than young people, then old people enjoy life less than young people do.

The third reason, and perhaps the best reason, is that the older one is the more he or she thinks about death and the end of life. This is again a reason why young people enjoy life more than old people do. While it is true that old people have generally wiser and appreciate the good times in life better than young people, the shadow of death approaching often remind old people that these good times in life can end soon.

In summary, while there are arguments to be made for both sides, it is clear that there are greater advantages to consider that young people enjoy life more than older people do, and not the opposite. Clearly, young people have more opportunities and more time to discover life and make new experiences that can make them enjoy life more than older people do.
Re: TOEFL - Essay Writing Thread - Topic 1   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2011, 06:02