Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TOEFL(IBT) 110 without preparation- Useful Tip

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke '16 (WL)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

TOEFL(IBT) 110 without preparation- Useful Tip [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 10:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey Guys!!

Just received my TOEFL IBT score. I got a 110 with the following Breakup: Reading 28, Listening 29, Speaking 27, Writing 26.

A useful tip (at least it worked for me) : If possible attempt TOEFL just after you take GMAT/ GRE. With a rigorous preparation for these exams, TOEFL will be a cake-walk. In fact I had no idea about the structure of TOEFL a few hours before I gave TOEFL. I did my preparation on my way to the exam center by reading a few things on my phone i.e. which section comes first etc.

EXAM Time
I found that the reading comprehension passages were very lengthy but with more than 15 minutes in hand I decided to skim the entire passage first. Skimming made it very easy for me to answer the questions. In the listening section I made short notes and thus forced myself to concentrate more.

After these two sections I was dead tired and was surprised and also relieved to get a 10 min break. Ya, I had just no idea that you get breaks in between and that's why I carried nothing to eat. This was a huge mistake as I only had a light breakfast and I was exhausted by the end of the test.

Next was the speaking section and I knew that I needed to put my maximum efforts here because you do need a good preparation to understand the material and compile a response in 15-20 secs and then deliver a convincing response in exactly 45 secs. I quickly made a strategy that I will try to back my response with a data or an example. After concentrating really hard in the speaking section, my mind gave up on the writing section. I took rest for 10 minutes and then attempted the prompts. Writing section was again very easy. But I was so tired by the end of the test that I could only give an average response.

Again, I give all my credit for a decent TOEFL attempt to my GMAT as it prepared me to think super quickly.
I feel good about my score. But certainly had I eaten something, I would have had an even more enjoyable experience at the test centre.

Best of Luck Guys!!!
Deepak
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
TOEFL(IBT) 110 without preparation- Useful Tip   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2013, 10:19