Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: TOEFL Instructional videos - Very useful [#permalink]
Thanks very much for the detailed answer!

I get your point - I notice how notefull's videos seem to follow a structure, but if you practice oo much with them, you start having problems when you get a task which is slightly different. That's why in the end of the day, you should just break down the problem into components and present it logically in those 45 sec. I've practised some writing as well, there again, used some of the recommenden layouts things should be fine. Hope to get something around 110-115.

Is Kaplan representative of the difficulty of the real TOEFL or is the real test more difficult?

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kaplan TOEFL is slightly tougher than the actual TOEFL test, I think they feel proud in being the toughest. They follow the same pattern on their GMAT books and practice tests. ;-)

On the actual test, I got 2 passages with difficulty levels equivalent to those on the TOEFL OG, and 2 passages which can be rated somewhere between the OG and the Kaplan tests. But then, I feel you have to be really unlucky to get 4 passages and that too with a higher difficulty level.

I would say 110 is achievable, 115 is slightly tough, as you have to ace all the sections. I know I had spoken and written pretty well, but still scored less on those sections. But aim high, and you will be around it, if not exact. :-)

Good luck with your examination.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi ivn490,

again thanks. Information is very helpful. I have already completed the 4 Kaplan test and find them acceptable (in my eyes as well tougher than ETS OG). Even harder are the Cambridge reading extracts. But as I achieve somewhere between 27-29 on Reading and Listening on Cambridge and Kaplan, until Saturday I will focus more on Speaking (YouTube) and Writing(some sample essays). Will post a detailed debrief the next days, in order to share my experience (prep matrials included).

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
(Note: I'm re-posting here a message I published on another topic since it seems more appropriate to publish it here; I hope the moderator won't chop my head off)

Thanks everyone for all the information we're having here it's really useful.

I'm currently preparing myself for the TOEFL. I'd already taken it back in 2009, but with no preparation whatsoever and without any significant english-speaking experience abroad. I succeeded in getting a 94 but totally failed at the speaking section (got 20) then.

Now I'm in a different mindset / different conditions: I've lived and studied a couple of years in English-speaking places between 2009 and 2011 and am also willing to work a bit on the "strategic" aspects this time. I've taken a few tests with a software called Thompson's Complete Guide to the TOEFL to do so, but am a bit disappointed to get around 26-27 for the reading and listening sections. I'd rather go for a 29-30 actually Has anyone used this software? I thought that possibly their tests are a bit tough, or am I just being too demanding on myself?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
... So I've just received my TOEFL score and am a tad disappointed: 26 Reading - 27 Listening - 24 Speaking - 24 Writing. Surely it's a decent score overall and that's actually enough to get me admitted into the Master's programmes I'm thinking of as they require only 100 (and that makes me a nice 101 :) ) but I know I could definitely have scored higher.

My advice for anyone who'll take it:
-Reading section: Be really concentrated. It's not that hard since you just have to manage your time very carefully. I guess I personally wasted my points because I wasn't concentrated quite properly, maybe because I slept very little the night before the test.

-Listening section: Once again you need to focus; in my case some stupid examiner got into the classroom where we were taking it and I got distracted from a dialogue section that definitely cost me one or two questions.

-Speaking section: Manage your time well. I tried to conclude my speeches and in many cases I got cut at this point so I would presume I essentially lost points with that.

-Writing section: Be extremely concentrated on the first part since you'll basically have to write down everything afterwards (the Professor's speech on the passage that will not disappear while you'll be writing). Oddly I lost points on that part so I presume that I missed one idea from the Professor or something. The second part should not cause particular difficulty since it's an open essay and if you know how to write it shouldn't be very difficult.

I am not satisfied since I was hoping more for a R 29 - L 29 - S 25 - W 29 kind of result but anyway, I guess I'll have to take it again in the future if I apply for a very selective school.

And by the way the Thomson's guide thing is quite good in my view. Their tests are not way more difficult or easier than those of the d-day.

Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Very Nice Post Buddy :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
I got my score today with Reading 18,Listening 22,speaking 24 & Writing 28, a total of 92.
Please suggest me whether sectional cutoffs are required by the universities, and even if they require then do i need to take the test again keeping in mind that i have 18 in Reading?

Please suggest!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thank you for adding this thread with the https://www.notefull.com videos.I scored 92 on the test with 3-4 hours of preparation, these videos helped me the most :P for speaking section.You need nothing more than these videos for speaking section.GMAT aspirants are automatically good in Reading & writing (Thanks to the dense verbal passages and AWA section) Listening will be easier with the TOEFL Official Guide pracs.
You can read the post right above , i was very upset for what i got, I was 92 & out :( but now i am happy because i am fulfilling the criteria of the colleges shortlisted by me :)

I'll advice u guys to take this test seriously :idea: , because a good TOEFL will be counted for your graduate assistantship (and many more) and trust me , one week (2-3 hrs a day) will ensure a minimum of 100 scores(considering you worked and studied in English medium atmosphere). :roll:

All the best !
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Sorry thevenus but I do not understand your point :(

tell me the question and I provide you what you need to pass the threshold of 100.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
carcass wrote:
Sorry thevenus but I do not understand your point :(

tell me the question and I provide you what you need to pass the threshold of 100.

Thank you Carcass for your humble gesture. I wanted to know that whether universities look for specific scores in the various sections of the TOEFL. I've got the answer that It depends upon the university , such as a college in NY requires overall TOEFL score of 103 with no section should have less than 24 (R/L/S/W).

I figured this out and found that the colleges i am forwarding my application only looks for the overall score and there are no sectional cut offs, so i am not going to retake the TOEFL.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [3]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos