Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TOEFL Listening and Speaking Section: New Accents

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2302 [2] , given: 692

TOEFL Listening and Speaking Section: New Accents [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
TOEFL Listening and Speaking Section to Include Other English Accents

Hi folks

This is an important announcemet made by ETS regarding English Accents.

Quote:
TOEFL will now include English accents from other English Speaking countries. Following change was made to TOEFL Listening and Speaking Sections.Beginning in March 2013, the Listening and Speaking sections of the TOEFL iBT test include other native-speaker English accents in addition to accents from North America. You may hear accents from the United Kingdom, New Zealand or Australia.ETS is adding these accents to better reflect the variety of native English accents you may encounter while studying abroad.
Below are examples similar to what you might hear in the Speaking and Listening sections.

here is an example from ETS website greenhouse_effect

One one hand, if you are a person that lives in US for a while maybe you have not difficulties; on the other hand, if you are not a native speaker maybe you have no problem with US english BUT for instance Australian english could be a problem. I know native speakers when they listen to this example video, then they get in trouble to understand

See my Best resources to pass the TOEFL exam >>> Listening and Speaking Section >> ouliogroove_channel

Hope this helps

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 22

Re: TOEFL Listening and Speaking Section: New Accents [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 05:27
Wow - that audio passage IS difficult to understand - talk about upping the ante for the TOEFL! Great info, carcass, thanks for posting.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Expert Post
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2302 [0], given: 692

Re: TOEFL Listening and Speaking Section: New Accents [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 04:28
Expert's post
I think that ETS is misleading and a bit nasty

According to OG 4th edition, there is a clear statement in the Listening section that says

Of course this not necesserily implies that in the US colleges is not spoken an english from several different contries.....but basically the English and the accent is US
Attachments

screenshot.3.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg [ 91.27 KiB | Viewed 5212 times ]

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: TOEFL Listening and Speaking Section: New Accents [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 10:28
Wow. I'm not sure what is up with TOEFL.

I just gave a retarded smile when this clip played, only because I wasn't expecting that.
The scary part: I'm yet to take the test!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 9

Re: TOEFL Listening and Speaking Section: New Accents [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 05:38
An unfamiliar accent combined with an unfamiliar subject makes the concoction even more lethal.

In my entire corporate life, I can't remember any board meeting where the senior management spent time discussing the technicalities of Ferns.

Rather than a one-size-fits-all approach, it's probably time to have a business-centric version of the test.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: TOEFL Listening and Speaking Section: New Accents [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 01:51
''Below are examples similar to what you might hear in the Speaking and Listening sections.'' That's not easy, I should say(
Re: TOEFL Listening and Speaking Section: New Accents   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2013, 01:51