Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TOEFL: reading section - flexibility with answers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

TOEFL: reading section - flexibility with answers [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 04:39
Hello everybody! :)
I have this question. KAPLAN says that there will be 3 to 5 passages on the reading section on TOEFL. Then it gives such breakdown:
1st passage - 20 minutes.
2nd and 3rd - 40 minutes.
4th and 4th - 40 minutes.
I wonder why the timelines are given. As far as know I can easily surf forward and back through questions and passages, right? Do these timeslots mean that when I'm done with the first passage all the questions from it become unavailable and I can't amend them?
The reason I'm asking is because according to Princeton "Cracking the..." there are 3 questions' difficulty levels, so I'm going to go through the easiest first, then move on to the next level of difficulty. And I'm here trying to figure out whether I should go through the easiest ones for ALL passages, or answer the questions of all levels of diffictulties for each passage given.
Thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 260

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: TOEFL: reading section - flexibility with answers [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

in fact both are not true, because since November '11 5 passages in the Reading are not possible. The long Reading includes just 4. Concerning the time slots - I don't have a clear answer. In my real GMAT I had 4 passages and just 80 minutes, so I could alocate my time as I wanted. In some prep materials (though they are from the years 2006-2007-2008 and may be outdated) it says that you'll have 20 minutes for the first passage and 40 minutes for the 2nd and 3rd.

My tip: just try to be ready prior the 20 mins pass. If they do - don't panic, just try to compensate on the coming questions!

Regards,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Manager
Manager

Re: TOEFL: reading section - flexibility with answers [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 12:10
bgpower wrote:
Hi,
In my real GMAT I had 4 passages and just 80 minutes...

thx for dropping in, bgpower.
Are you talking about GMAT or TOEFL? :)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 260

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: TOEFL: reading section - flexibility with answers [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 14:03
WantGMAT800 wrote:
bgpower wrote:
Hi,
In my real GMAT I had 4 passages and just 80 minutes...

thx for dropping in, bgpower.
Are you talking about GMAT or TOEFL? :)

hehe, sorry about that! Of course TOEFL ;) Slip of the tongue! Any questions?

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Manager
Manager

Re: TOEFL: reading section - flexibility with answers [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 12:29
WantGMAT800 wrote:
hehe, sorry about that! Of course TOEFL Slip of the tongue! Any questions?

Yes, in fact I have :). Can I move through passages easily? Like after answering all vocabulary type's questions for the first passage I move on to the next one. And do you think that type of strategy will prove useful?
thx)
Re: TOEFL: reading section - flexibility with answers   [#permalink] 29 Feb 2012, 12:29