Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 17:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TOEFL Required for MBA admissions for Indian Engineers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
TOEFL Required for MBA admissions for Indian Engineers [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 19:18
Hi

I graduated in Engineering from Mumbai University in India in 2002. I understand that TOEFL is waived by lots of universities for candidates who have studied their undergrad in English Medium.

I had taken my TOEFL in 2001 , scored 267, then but the score isn't valid beyond 2 years.

Some universities still insist that TOEFL is needed. Would like to know if you are aware of any such universities.

In particular are you aware reg the TOEFL reqs for Indian students by below schools

Kellogg, Fuqua- Duke, U Chicago, UCLA, U Virginia (Darden), USC Marshall, London Business School , INSEAD, Cornell , Oxford (SAID), U Michigan (Ross), IESE.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: TOEFL Required for MBA admissions for Indian Engineers [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 06:27
bhatiagp wrote:
Hi

I graduated in Engineering from Mumbai University in India in 2002. I understand that TOEFL is waived by lots of universities for candidates who have studied their undergrad in English Medium.

I had taken my TOEFL in 2001 , scored 267, then but the score isn't valid beyond 2 years.

Some universities still insist that TOEFL is needed. Would like to know if you are aware of any such universities.

In particular are you aware reg the TOEFL reqs for Indian students by below schools

Kellogg, Fuqua- Duke, U Chicago, UCLA, U Virginia (Darden), USC Marshall, London Business School , INSEAD, Cornell , Oxford (SAID), U Michigan (Ross), IESE.

I'm afraid all these schoos will require an English test. I know that Chicago, LBS, INSEAD, Cornell and IESE accept also the IELTS (easier than the current TOEFL iBT).

Unless you had a degree form USA, UK, Australia and Canada, I believe you will need to take the test. If you think it is "stupid" is because your English level should be good enough to "break" the test, so you should take it anyway. However, my advise is to research at each school web site, these things change every year.

MIT is the only school I remember that doesn't require an English Test.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: TOEFL Required for MBA admissions for Indian Engineers [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 08:14
This post received
KUDOS
Quite a few schools waive TOEFL, if the medium of instruction in your undergrad school is English.

I can think of Kellog, Tuck, Ross, Yale, and many more. You should check out the schools websites for the right information.

I would still suggest you taking it, so that you are not restricted by TOEFL scores( or the lack of them), when choosing schools.

P.S. I am an international applicant, and i didnt take TOEFL. In the end, i decided against applying to a few schools, as they required TOEFL and i was too late and too lazy to study for it. Also TOEFL dates are not as easily available as GMAT dates, so you need to really plan in advance.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 3

Re: TOEFL Required for MBA admissions for Indian Engineers [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 19:54
This post received
KUDOS
I am an Indian who grew up and studied in India (in a university where the medium of instruction is English) and I took the TOEFL. I would definitely recommend taking the TOEFL. In addition to what toDoor mentioned, remember that the waiving of the TOEFL is at the school's discretion and so it is entirely possible that they might not waive it. This happened to a friend of mine at one of the schools he applied to and his app was pushed to the next round. Trust me, the TOEFL is really easy. There's not too much of preparation required - just a week before the exam should do.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 149

Re: TOEFL Required for MBA admissions for Indian Engineers [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 00:13
INSEAD explicitly says that the TOEFL isnt required for applicants from countries such as India and Singapore because the primary language of instruction is English .Rotmans too. There are lots fo colleges that waive the TOEFL.You need to explore more rigorously instead of putting the question on forums such as this .People having half the information are misled and mislead others.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2338

Kudos [?]: 9570 [0], given: 3715

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: TOEFL Required for MBA admissions for Indian Engineers [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 00:39
Expert's post
mundasingh123 wrote:
INSEAD explicitly says that the TOEFL isnt required for applicants from countries such as India and Singapore because the primary language of instruction is English .Rotmans too. There are lots fo colleges that waive the TOEFL.You need to explore more rigorously instead of putting the question on forums such as this .People having half the information are misled and mislead others.

Esp since this thread was posted 3.5 years ago.
Feeling a bit under-challenged these days? :wink:

P.S. Agree about your point - no need to ask the obvious questions.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 149

Re: TOEFL Required for MBA admissions for Indian Engineers [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 09:42
bb wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:

Esp since this thread was posted 3.5 years ago.
Feeling a bit under-challenged these days? :wink:

P.S. Agree about your point - no need to ask the obvious questions.

Yea But wasnt gmatclub itself created to fill this void . I was just trying to act important now that i am done with my gmat .

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Re: TOEFL Required for MBA admissions for Indian Engineers   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2011, 09:42