Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MBA
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Re: TOFEL or IELTS?? [#permalink]
qurenmoon wrote:
serbiano wrote:
Some schools do acept IELTS, but many DO NOT. I think any business school program in English accepts TOEFL - therefore if I were u I would take TOEFL.

Also, IELTS used to be much harder than TOEFL. Now with new TOEFL that might have changed.

IELTS is based on British English, while TOEFL is based on American English....

Oh, My God!

I learn American English during my school days, I shift to British English when I started to work. Now change again?

So miserable!

IELTS is gaining popularity among b-schools in the US, but it has a lot of ground to cover. Most schools do not accept IELTS, although it is a more thorough and objective test of English than TOEFL. I have worked as an IELTS examiner since 2004, and I can assure anyone that IELTS is not based on British English, it tests standard English.

For the purpose of b-school application, stick with TOEFL.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
ielts is best :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I took the TOEFL test on July 23, 2010. Today, it is August 28, 2010 and I still didn't receive my paper score. Normally, the scores arrive in 28 days, so probably my score is lost. The reason is TOEFL sends the paper scores via insecure mailing service instead of a registered mail (which proof of delivery is mailed to the sender). Although, the scores are very important, the customer service doesn't assist you effectively. if you try to tell your problem to the customer service via e-mail, they answer you with almost automated responses without taking your e-mails into consideration and replying your e-mail can take 3-4 business days. They charge you 17$ to send the scores again. Even though you indicate that the situation is urgent, they say "it takes 7 business days to mail the scores". Moreover, they say "delivery can take up to 4 weeks for international mail delivery". I need the TOEFL test for student visa application and now, I may miss it and this will cause me to lose my chance to pursue my education in a very reputable university in UK. I regret not to take IELTS instead of TOEFL IBT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
its up to you what is better for your career.
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Shortlist the universities you are keen on applying and the check whether it requires IELTS or TOEFL. I did my TOEFL and majority of the univs I checked need TOEFL.

The SDM program with MIT insist that they need IELTS and dont accept TOEFL.
That was interesting , because Sloan MBA and many other programs at MIT need TOEFL.

Anyway, as I said, first shortlist the univs.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4383 posts