Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:44

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Too boring, Too verbal (Q-50,V-24)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Too boring, Too verbal (Q-50,V-24) [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 13:13
Today I have just taken the damn GMAT. The unofficial score is,

Q 50- Percentile-90
V 24- Percentile-34
Total 630- Percentile 72

Actually, I was a very decent student when I was a student :) and to be honest I have never ever ranked much that low %34 ?!!! Too bad... I was always on the top of the list on these kind of exams.

I am a mechanical engineer, and have been working for 3 years. I have studied GMAT for two months in my free times. My study covered mostly the verbal.

At the beginning I was very bad at verbal. Then as I studied, I got better in SC and CR. Actually I have not put so much effort on the RC. I thought that I could do well on SC and CR and this might componsate my RC. Until today, I was quite condifent with the SC and CR because my trials were all getting better and my aim was just 650. Doing all the verbal and concentrating on every single question is just too hard for me. You know also there is a time pressure.

Even though I did not care too much and left 15 minutes more in all tests, my tests at home ranged between 650 and 710.

However, today I screwed up. In the real exam today, I thought that I did very well on the RC but I just could not concentrate on the SC and CR and failed. I dont know why but it was totally the reverse comparing with my studies.

I am so nervous and cannot wait for a month. If it was possible to take it tomorrow, I would go for it. But damn, it is not possible. I do not know what to do, but I'm really bored and do not want to study anymore. Even if I study, I do not know what to study. Because I was quiet sure that I was okey and ready to get what I need. But it just did not happen. Anyway, a boring month is on the way. I'll be back with 700 this time. Wait for me....

And any experience in a similar situation or suggestion what to do next month will be appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Too boring, Too verbal (Q-50,V-24) [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 03:47
Can't suggest much on the basis of the information you've given. But, I'll go ahead and write what you should definitely do:

1.) You have not mentioned what material you studied from.
If you feel you don't have a solid base then go through manhattan SC and aristotle grail (for SC) and powerscore bible (for CR).
I'd suggest be very thorough with official questions.
OG, verbal supplement and verbal pack - all of them. Go through each explanation (even for qs you get right) carefully and derive maximum out of these questions.
2.) Write at least 4-5 tests in the next month (with AWA and IR).
3.) Be very active on GC SC/CR forums. Go through and solve as many questions as you can. Reach out to experts for any problems.
4.) Do solve the documents which have all the official questions from GMAT prep.
good luck
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 80

Re: Too boring, Too verbal (Q-50,V-24) [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 17:06
In addition to the excellent advice offered by jumsumtak, I would strongly recommend that you put in a concerted effort to improve your focus and stamina on the test. The GMAT is a strange beast: if you're not 100% focused on 100% of the questions, you'll miss a word here or there, and then you'll start missing all sorts of questions that you shouldn't miss. And on an adaptive test, that can absolutely destroy your score.

Whenever you practice anything on the GMAT, do it as if your life depends on it. If you practice half-heartedly and don't use all of the allotted time on practice tests, you'll train your mind to approach questions in an unfocused way. Yes, this crap is incredibly boring, especially on the verbal section. But you need to convince yourself that it isn't boring, and you should probably train like an athlete--do a lot of long, hard verbal practice sets, and do them at full intensity every single time.

It's unfortunate that the verbal section comes at the end of a four-hour exam, but that means that you'll want to practice massive quantities of verbal questions to build your stamina. If you've exhausted the official GMAT materials, you might consider using LSAT questions for CR and RC--they're miserably convoluted and boring. Do 50 LSAT questions at a time if you really want to suffer. Once you can do 50 questions in a single sitting with a reasonable rate of accuracy, then you'll be ready to maximize your potential on the GMAT verbal section.

Good luck!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Too boring, Too verbal (Q-50,V-24) [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 06:32
Thx for advices, especially ninja's advice looks so interesting but i think it is worth to try.

Btw, I have already finished Official guides, (both 12th edition and verbal review). As I said before, I was actually not that bad. For example, in the verbal review in official guide, I had 10-15 wrong answers out of almost 100 question. But, I was doing like, let's say, 10 at a time. Then doing some other things and going back and solving 15 more questions like that. I did not find the time issue problem because I always left some more minutes in fulll CAT's.

I think that I need to suffer at home all alone before doing the actual test. Well , after 3 days break, and I'm back and going to study again...

Although I have done everything to be ready to test, I couldn not achieve my target. That makes me sick. At that point I find nothing to do more, but going to try ninja's advide and suffer at home all alone with 50 questions at a sit.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Too boring, Too verbal (Q-50,V-24) [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 23:17
To add to the advice given by the posters above, the most important thing you should do now is take sufficient rest. More often than not, we have seen candidates getting totally fatigued after the first attempt. The pressure to score well on the second attempt will compel you to study even harder and you may end up getting fatigued even more by the time you take your test again. Do not study for more than 3-4 hours per day and make sure that you take a break of at least 1 day per week. Focus not on studying more but on identifying how you could do better in the areas you need to improve in. Focus not on doing too many questions but rather on learning from a few questions. A lot of times we have seen candidates know the theory well, but when it comes to application of those concepts, they fizzle out totally so make application of concepts your priority especially in SC and you should be good to go!

Last edited by AristotlePrep on 02 Jan 2013, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Too boring, Too verbal (Q-50,V-24) [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 22:33
In additions to what Jums said, the approach I took was simple

AWA is a template based thing. Just follow the template and you CAN NOT score below 5. Enough to secure an admission. Don't waste your focus or energy in AWA.

IR does not matter at all so just Ignore and take it as a relaxation before the actual fight. The point I want to drive is, the first half is just relax. Don't put any effort on this and don't drain any energy.

Math is your strong but you have to minimise the difference between quant and verbal. Your score must be as balanced as possible. This is the toughest part. You have to very carefully give up some of your quant. Interesting but this will help you. try to reduce your quant to 45 range. It is risky business but will make your score more balanced. Many school looks for a balanced score rather than a 700+ score with highly skewed rating.

So, save your energy for verbal and then attack!!

verbal needs two aspects, the fundamental knowledge and strategy. Manhattan and Aristotle is excellent and sufficient to beef up your fundamental. Aristotle strategy is the clear and consize direction how to attempt SC. Follow that, not blindly but intelligently and in principal. Aristotle strategy does not work even 50% for actual GMAT test, but the principal will help you to attempt each SC question in less than 1 minute. I finished the test almost 20 minute in spare!!. I got a bold face within first 10 questions.

CR was very natural and logical to me and I need not study any book.

RC is all about skimming. I just learned to eyeball the whole essay in around a minute time. Don't really read it or don't try to understand the meaning ... just map it. I repeat, just MAP it, understand which part is talking about what. Then read the question and based on that read the right section/area. I don't know how much I score in RC in GMAT but I scored 8.5 in IELTS.

And the final piece of advice. There is absolutely no shortcut in GMAT. Don't read all those online notes. GMAT try to trick you on all those shortcuts like being, whether/if. Read only right book and those are more than sufficient.

Practice OG

best of luck!!
Re: Too boring, Too verbal (Q-50,V-24)   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2013, 22:33