Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Too early for MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Too early for MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 09:14
Hey All,

I wanted to ask you guys which would be the correct time to do MBA? I am a 24 yr old female, completed my masters in BIoinformatics last year and have been working since January 2010. I am planning to write the GMAT in December 2010. And apply for part time ( evening )MBA next Fall.
Would that be too early for me to apply to MBA? SHould I be taking more experience and then applying?

THanks in advance,
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 40

Re: Too early for MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 11:08
This post received
KUDOS
Don't take my word for it! To be honest, i'm not sure if the work experience criteria is similar for the different types of MBA (exec, PT) etc. Check out the schools site for statistics for some good information on average years experience etc.

Another good idea for you may be to post your profile in this thread admission-consultants-124/
and have one of the admission consultants have a look at your candidacy for your target schools.

I got some great reviews/feedback and found them very helpful when deciding what to do with my own applications. Just make sure the format of your post includes all of the criteria they like to see. You can find this by looking at past posts.

Best of luck!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

Re: Too early for MBA [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 12:47
Are you thinking of applying in early 2011 to start in fall 2011? Or are you thinking of applying in fall 2011 to start in 2012? I'd say the latter would be much better. That way you will have close to 3 years work experience when you start instead of under 2 years.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Intern
Intern

Re: Too early for MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 09:29
Yes I was wondering if Fall 2011 is too early for me to start an MBA ( evening MBA )?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Too early for MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 01:37
For full time top MBA programs, the average age is around 27-28, and the work experience average is around 4-5 years. i'm not sure how it is for part time or evening MBA programs.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Too early for MBA [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 14:16
what programs are you looking into? if you're looking at top-10 schools, you better have some stellar credentials for your age - i.e. ivy, pe internship/started and sold $2M business in college, working in MBB/GS type of person.

PT MBAs usually want you to have more experience, typically 27-28 at enrollment.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Too early for MBA [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 16:42
Classmates of mine who were on the young side often had brand name work experience and big name undergrads. They usually were the ones who you would see as being on the MBA timeline from the age of 18. Went to a top 10 undergrad, worked at MBB or specialty finance area, then an mba after 2 years. Work experience is much more valuable than many younger applicants realize. Lots of companies have a preference for more mature and experienced workers.

You can take the GMAT, its good for 5 years but I suggest getting at least 2 full years of work experience before applying...and thus having 3 by the time you start. Even then another year or so might be helpful. Honestly most of the resumes I have seen for people with only a few years work experience are lacking, they dont have the leadership stories and aren't nearly as compelling as they would be with another year or two.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Too early for MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 19:42
Thanks a lot all, it was much helpful :)
Re: Too early for MBA   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2010, 19:42