Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Well, I am a little frustrated. Having read the student profile stats from Stanford, Haas and Columbia I was well aware that the typical 80% age range is 24-30 with an average age of 27/28 at enrollment...

Last edited by prinziphoffnung on 19 Mar 2012, 20:15, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Re: Too old? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 14:27
This post received
KUDOS
I was 30 going on 31 this application season with a JD and was interviewed at 7/9 schools to which I applied (CMU, Ross, Duke, Wharton, Booth, UCLA, Darden). I had 7 years of work experience and that doesn't count the 3 years I was in law school. I will be attending Ross.

My experience was that you have to make sure your story for why you absolutely need the MBA and why you need it *now* have to really resonate. I tried to get this point across in all my essays.

FTR, I had a 700 GMAT and neither my undergrad nor law GPA is as high as yours.
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Too old? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 13:41
prinziphoffnung wrote:
Well, I am a little frustrated. Having read the student profile stats from Stanford, Haas and Columbia I was well aware that the typical 80% age range is 24-30 with an average age of 27/28 at enrollment. I am 32, turning 33. However, I applied to these programs. About my profile: I progressed very well on my career path (which is non-traditional for an MBA, since I am a tech journalist) and have a 700+ GMAT and a 4.0 GPA. Still, everyone is telling me I have no chance at all to get admitted to an US B-school due to my age even if I may feel the time for that is right.

What do you think - is there a strict age limit? Or do I need a 750+ GMAT to be considered? Or is it enough to be confident that the school I want to attend is the perfect match and to make that clear in my application?

It is true that you are older than most, however 33 isn't too far and there has been people in all the programs you mentioned and H at your age. However you might also look for more age friendly programs which value experience. Of the top of my head I would say Wharton, Tuck, Ross, MIT would all be friendly to older applicants as they do have more experienced fokes. Regardless of any age, Haas/Stanford are very hard to get into. You may also look into International schools which trend the other way such as LBS, IMD, INSEAD. Euro schools tend to value experience than GMAT/GPA.

But no you are not too old.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Tuck class of 2012
WE 1: 2 years market development (public)
WE 2: 5 years corporate finance (private)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Too old? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 19:27
Don't worry, you'll be fine, I'm 33 and will start my MBA at Tuck this fall. I also got interviews at Wharton, Booth and Kellogg (after interview waiver). My only direct ding was from MIT and it was not because of my age, as I know one 33 old guy who got in this year with a sub-700 GMAT. :-D
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Too old? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 03:10
Thanks, guys! Probably the question is whether they take somebody who is 33 and is not from a traditional industry. We will see (BTW: first ding is expected today from Stanford since I got no interview invite)...

And another funny story: I asked IESE in Spain for more information on their Full-time MBA program (average age 27, 80% <30). They automatically transferred my file "due to my experience" to the Global Executive MBA Admission office - and wrote that they hope I can see why they think the Global EMBA program is "more suited".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 11

Re: Too old? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 04:13
prinziphoffnung wrote:
Thanks, guys! Probably the question is whether they take somebody who is 33 and is not from a traditional industry. We will see (BTW: first ding is expected today from Stanford since I got no interview invite)...

And another funny story: I asked IESE in Spain for more information on their Full-time MBA program (average age 27, 80% <30). They automatically transferred my file "due to my experience" to the Global Executive MBA Admission office - and wrote that they hope I can see why they think the Global EMBA program is "more suited".

That's there the whole 'automatic transfer thing' since as a school they would obviously pitch the programs that "they" think is suitable to particular candidate. You are the best judge of your choices inline with your career goals. Dont let anything dent your confidence, as a 3X age group applicant some things may not be on your side but if you put across a convincing and realistic career path pre and post MBA many adcoms would be more than happy to take you in. Good Luck :)
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Too old? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 07:48
prinziphoffnung wrote:

Well, I think I would give a good "F#$K YOU" to IESE. :x Obviously they are trying to pump up their almost empty GEMBA program, but doing so by "transfering" the application from someone interested in a full time program is absurd. They should at least have stated this thing very clear, so anyone could decide whether it's worth the application fee.
Re: Too old?   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2010, 07:48