Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Too old for a partime MBA at 45??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Too old for a partime MBA at 45?? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 10:40
Hello there,

I am 45 an have been accepted into distance learning MBA school (quite reputable) - part time.

I have worked in IT consulting all my life (20 + years) in delivering major IT Business Change programs and I would say I have done OK. Working for the large System Integrators is tough; consulting is hard graft. The reality is that cannot see myself working in this field for the rest of my working life. Having said that IT delivery / programme management is all I know.

My motivation for doing an MBA is NOT to add to my CV or rather increase my salary (having an MBA would make no difference in this capacity). Rather it is to obtain other skills that may enable me to go on a different path (start a business etc.).

Various advice provided is quite polarised (from don't waste your time and money, to it is a thoroughly rewarding experience - advice provided from those who HAVE completed an MBA). What I do know is that if I embark on an MBA it must add value in the capacity of equipping me to do something different and not just regurgitate content I am already quite familiar with. Many cite the MBA as an invaluable medium to gain many lifelong contacts / increase networks (this is clearly a great aspect of an MB program)….however as a distant learning student the networking opportunities are less prevalent.

Is my age a factor….?

Any thoughts, comments, experience or advice would be appreciated.

Regards......
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: LBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Too old for a partime MBA at 45?? [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 11:37
This is interesting, and I can't give you a clear cut answer - rather relate some experience from undergraduate b-school.

I think the material will be interesting for you, especially if you're from purely an IT background.

If your goal is to advance your career, I would say it would be a good investment. However, if your plan is to launch your own business.. then I am more hesitant. With entrepreneurship, I really think the value is in face to face trial and error that you get in b-school. Its a place where you can fail and no one will judge you (harshly). You present in front of a class, peers, investors - you see their reactions and re-calibrate. You then build a network and sprinkle in some classes. I would say that this portion of the experience you won't have.

That 700.. I can taste it

Re: Too old for a partime MBA at 45??   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2014, 11:37