Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Too old to bear arms himself, Frederick Douglass served as a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Too old to bear arms himself, Frederick Douglass served as a [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 05:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

38% (01:34) correct 62% (00:38) wrong based on 48 sessions
Too old to bear arms himself, Frederick Douglass served as a recruiting agent, traveled through the North to exhort Black men to join the Union army.

(A) traveled through the North to exhort
(B) and he traveled through the North and exhorted
(C) and traveling through the North exhorted
(D) traveling through the North and exhorted
(E) traveling through the North and exhorting

For me is between D and E

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: Frederick Douglass [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 06:22
I narrowed it to C and E.

Is OA (E)?
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 266 [3] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Frederick Douglass [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 11:43
This post received
KUDOS
parallelism question ... don't let gmat confuse you with superficial parallelism, as manhattan gmat calls it

doug served as recruiter, traveled the east and hired employees
here each verb has equal emphasis

doug served as recruiter, traveling the east and hiring employees
here serve as recruiter is the main verb .... traveling and hiring are subordinate verbs .. doug traveled and hired while he served as recruiter

in the problem, travel and exhort are subordinate verbs

D: not parallel; travelling .. and exhorted
E: parallel and correct use of subordinate verb; traveling .. and exhorting

so E it is

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 333

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 11

Re: Frederick Douglass [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 11:27
Hey All,

For what it's worth, just wanted to lend my bit of street cred to Dimitri's explanation, which is exactly right. Working out where the list starts here is paramount, and the reason we know that it begins with "traveling" instead of "served" is because logic tells us the portion after the comma here is subordinate to the first, rather than separate actions. Well done, Dimitri!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: Frederick Douglass [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 17:36
noboru wrote:
Too old to bear arms himself, Frederick Douglass served as a recruiting agent, traveled through the North to exhort Black men to join the Union army.

(A) traveled through the North to exhort
(B) and he traveled through the North and exhorted
(C) and traveling through the North exhorted
(D) traveling through the North and exhorted
(E) traveling through the North and exhorting

For me is between D and E

The way I picked between D and E was through modifiers . The present participle can modify the noun Frederick Douglass from far away while the past participle has to touch. i.e The broken door

Ps. Kudos are always welcomed ; )

2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 333

Kudos [?]: 717 [2] , given: 11

Re: Frederick Douglass [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Detran,

Sorry to butt in, but the explanation you gave isn't actually right. Participles (present or past) always have to touch what they're modifying if it's a noun, though they can be far away if it's a verb.

In this case, we have a LIST of modifiers, which is why one of them doesn't really get to touch (there are two of them), though it does touch in a more figurative, grammatical way. In other words, I could say:

The man born of a serpent and forged in the fires of hardship was my best friend.

Notice how "forged" is a past participle, but it doesn't touch "man". This is because it's part of a list of two participles ("born" and "forged"), and both of them can't touch (it would be physically impossible). This is NOT because past participles have any different rules surrounding them then present participles.

Hope that makes sense!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 335

Re: Frederick Douglass [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 22:06
Good one discussed by Tommy Thanku
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Frederick Douglass [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 16:36
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Detran,

Sorry to butt in, but the explanation you gave isn't actually right. Participles (present or past) always have to touch what they're modifying if it's a noun, though they can be far away if it's a verb.

In this case, we have a LIST of modifiers, which is why one of them doesn't really get to touch (there are two of them), though it does touch in a more figurative, grammatical way. In other words, I could say:

The man born of a serpent and forged in the fires of hardship was my best friend.

Notice how "forged" is a past participle, but it doesn't touch "man". This is because it's part of a list of two participles ("born" and "forged"), and both of them can't touch (it would be physically impossible). This is NOT because past participles have any different rules surrounding them then present participles.

Hope that makes sense!

-tommy

@Tommy
I hope I can modify your sentence to include present participles as modifiers as well.
"The man born of a serpent and forging in the fires of hardship is my best friend."

Following the same case, my question is why can't we choose [highlight]"traveled" as in (A)[/highlight] upon [highlight]"traveling" as in (E)[/highlight] as modifier?

The verb traveled in A is not parallel to "served" because it has to act as a modifier as there is no preceding conjunction.

What is the logic to get rid of A?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Frederick Douglass [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 08:00
subordinate verbs in participle format.
E.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Frederick Douglass [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 08:08
amit2k9 wrote:
subordinate verbs in participle format.
E.

Hey Amit, is there any logic you have to say that "served" in choice A is not in participle format? As per my observation it is in past participle. And if we agree that it is in past participle in A, we would like to know how do you prefer E over A?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Re: Frederick Douglass   [#permalink] 16 May 2011, 08:08