Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
emarinich,

I've heard really positive things about ASU's program from an alumni. I'm investigating it as well, but I'd be a Fall 09 start. I would guess that if you left a good impression on the professors while doing your post-bac that you have a decent chance of admittance there.

How was University of Cincinnati Master's program? Is it primarily practice oriented? I'm trying to find an Accounting Master's program that is academically focused and I'm having a tough time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
emarinich wrote:
haha yes - worried about that too!

stress levels are pretty much through the roof right now in general.

just wait until you get in and start studying....then you see what a high stress level is :)

although - your waiting season (just around the corner) is stressing too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
emarinich wrote:
applied so far to:
Michigan State
University of Massachusetts Amherst
George Washington
University of Connecticut

still plan to apply to:
Syracuse University
Arizona State University
University of Cincinnati

University of Toronto is also a school that i would love to attend, but i feel like my chances are not very good there and therefore i am not sure if i will apply.

i am very excited but also really scared. my fear is that i will not be accepted anywhere, which would be a huge disappointment.

I don't think you need to worry with your BS finance GPA. I think the fact that you're currently making up for any quant weaknesses you may have largely makes up for anything bad that may have happened years ago.

Also, I honestly can't see how all these schools would reject you with your profile. Toronto is definitely a stretch as it's more into the realm of elite schools now, but I think you have a shot at all the others. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no way in hell you're getting rejected at U.Conn or Syracuse. Arizona State has Jim Ohlson which is an extremely well known guy but is a little weird (haven't worked with him but I've heard of his lectures/personality). I can't think of anyone "famous" that's at any of the other universities you listed but they're not exactly crappy schools either. Good luck with the whole process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
If I do apply I'll be applying for 2009. The more I think about it, the it feels like Ph.D to me is like medicine to a kid, it tastes horrible but its just good for you (in this case your intellectual well-being).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
All the best to all the applicants. Those who have done it know how it is like... days are like weeks, and weeks like years. But eventually, March and April will come around.

Hang in there.... anyway, I have a blog of my application process and waiting season... hope it helps....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: too quiet here.... anyone applying this season? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi all!
I have applied for the accounting PH.D 2008 too.
Still anxiously wait for the replies of the schools. I am worrying about the interviews because I am an internation student. Someone get a good idea about the interviews?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I think interviews differ from case to case. I had 2 interviews last season. Both are pretty casual, asking a bit about my interest, background, and plans. Go to my blog and see my postings in Jan and Feb 2007.

The interviews were conducted over the phone. I'm also an international student. Nothing to worry about... most of the Profs are quite exposed to international students. However, just may sure you speak clearly (and perhaps a tad slower) if it is a phone interview. Also, make sure you are in a comfortable place when doing your interview. It could stretch to like an hour or so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I am also surpised considering the significant increase in b-school applicants this year. It is extremely interesting when you consider the the strong correlation between the relative strength of the economy and business school matriculation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Does anyone know if Wharton Management PhD has started their interviews?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd imagine you should be more afraid of publish or perish.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hobbit wrote:
emarinich wrote:

just wait until you get in and start studying....then you see what a high stress level is :)

although - your waiting season (just around the corner) is stressing too.

anyway - I wish you success and good luck. it worth the effort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
thank you everyone for your feedback! i really appreciate the information. i feel very alone in this process a lot of the time - because it isn't really a "common" experience that the average person might have something to say about.

this forum has provided some sanity for me - by reminding me that i'm not alone and that there are others out there who have been through this. it's awesome to be able to bounce ideas off of others who have been there or are currently going through it.

i will definitely keep everyone posted on my progress. it was especially reassuring to read that my profile looked strong enough for my list of schools.

thanks again and good luck to anyone else currently in the midst of the application process! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
got an email from Michigan State saying app is complete, has been forwarded to adcom, and if the committee is interested in an interview they will "most likely" be contacting me third or fourth week of january.

which is next week and the week after.

the wait is already killing me - now every day i'm going to be freaking out about getting an email or call. and then if i don't get one, i'm going to really freak out and think i haven't been shortlisted.

this whole process is draining beyond belief.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
if anyone is interested -
seems like HBS has started to call for interviews (for PhD/DBA). if you applied, you might hear from them soon (or not... they never called me last year...)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Spotted an offer @ gradjournal. Potentially the first for the 2008 season.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tkkoh wrote:
I think interviews differ from case to case. I had 2 interviews last season. Both are pretty casual, asking a bit about my interest, background, and plans. Go to my blog and see my postings in Jan and Feb 2007.

The interviews were conducted over the phone. I'm also an international student. Nothing to worry about... most of the Profs are quite exposed to international students. However, just may sure you speak clearly (and perhaps a tad slower) if it is a phone interview. Also, make sure you are in a comfortable place when doing your interview. It could stretch to like an hour or so.

thank you tkkoh! your advice is very valuable!
i also spoted that offer. I also planned to apply to that program but at last i gave up due to some reason.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4384 posts